Home Precious Metals
Options

What's the bear case for Silver?

percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
I'm in the bullish camp on silver and don't understand those who have grown bearish on Sliver (or gold for that matter). I see the economic crisis growing worse, not better, and hence I remain very bullish on PMs. What's the bear case?image
"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The worst case I can make against silver is that it is up 70% this year and might consolidate.

In addition, if the world economy has a heart attack, a trade war, a real war, or some other series of events that seriously curtails demand for manufactured goods that incorporate silver, then silver prices could back off for awhile.

If the stock and bond markets crash precipitously for any reason, there will be a drainage of liquidity from all markets, including the precious metals markets. In that event, the effect could be real enough, but if you always think in relative terms the effect won't be as severe in precious metals than it will be in the paper markets.

So, are any of these problems likely? Sure, but my assessment is that physical precious metals will be more useful in a much wider variety of likely scenarios than any other asset. My assets could drop as much as 50%, while most peoples' assets crash to pennies on the dollar. That's kinda how I see the worst case.

That's pretty bearish. But not as bearish as the alternatives I see.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    1. Chinese growth stagnates.... cooling industrial demand
    2. Chinese raise interest rates ...cooling Chinese investor demand
    3. Dollar strengthens...Silver ETFs shares are dumped in favor of other equities which would rapidly decrease the spot price to $20-$24 range

in that order

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    rpwrpw Posts: 235 ✭✭
    The only people I see bearish on silver are the ones who analyze the market from a "business as usual" point of view. I am bullish on silver because I believe with all my being that we will soon be pretty f*ing far from "business as usual."
    imageimage Small Size National Bank Note Type Set $5-$100
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The only people I see bearish on silver are the ones who analyze the market from a "business as usual" point of view. I am bullish on silver because I believe with all my being that we will soon be pretty f*ing far from "business as usual." >>

I'm with you
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    If you buy physical metal and can stand some *extreme* volatility, then you will discover that there is NO better investment than silver.

Well, that's how I feel about it, anyhow.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Silver is still an industrial metal. If the economy does get weaker, industrial use is likely to decline.

Sentiment. Up 70% in a year brings a lot of folks onto the bandwagon. Any market can suffer air pockets when it has gone up that much, even if the fundamentals remain rock solid and another 100% or 300% up in the cards.

Silver is a thin market. World wide demand is about a billion ounces a year, so $30 billion unleverage could theoretically buy the entire year's supply or short the entire year's supply. Use 400x leverage like option traders, or options on futures traders often do, and it is a small number to actually manipulate the market if a group was so inclined. That's one reason I don't buy the widespread stories about big money being net short. If "they" really wanted to, a fund with even a spare hundred million could drive it lower hard. A fund with a spare billion could have a huge impact using smart leverage.

I find it much more likely that "they" are spreading rumors that they are net short when they are actually heavy long. Profits are easier, especially, when there is enough smoke covering their tracks as so many relatively smart folks get fooled by the many false leads about them being net short. In my two decades of trading experience, that's the way smart money tends to work. Smart money doesn't show their cards, and small fish rarely know the real story until much, much later, if ever.

I'm not bearish silver. I'm just pointing out possible factors. I tend not to trade silver, though I do have a chunk of physical. For trading I tend to favor GLD and GDX because those options are more my speed, vs. the SLV options. I am long both GLD and GDX, though my position has been and continues to be low risk, low reward, low conviction.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver spot price will be greatly harmed by a run on the Exchange Traded Fund SLV. A snowball effect of SLV sales will drive silver spot price down quickly as holders of SLV see other SLV holders bailing out. While physical silver will always be a safe investment it's intermediate term selling price will be greatly harmed by a rush to get out of SLV. A number of things could start a run on SLV: Rumor or fact of no or low physical backing, a sudden negative view on ETFs in general, a political change in PM or ETF taxing requirements, etc. To meet selling demand of the ETF shares, the Fund itself will have to dump massive amounts of physical silver onto the market.

Although the ETF SLV is a "paper" product, it's size makes it a major market force in the spot price of silver. Just as SLV played a major role in the rise of silver spot it will play the same role in the decline of silver prices. Always keep your eyes on SLV developments.

Major maket players have major market affect.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << What's the bear case for Silver? >>

Earth is obliterated by a giant meteor.

Under this scenario, the price of silver would decline by at least 20% and would take as long as a week to recover. image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    The negative case: silver has had a huge run over the past decade from $4 to almost $30. That's a 650% increase. Big bull markets usually don't end well. A lot of speculation in silver with investors piling into ETFs. That can turn quickly. While there are major economic problems remaining, you could easily make the case that current silver prices already reflect that.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    the bear case is hibernation for a year
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    Bear case:
    1. Supply overhang
    2. Historical valuation
    3. Strong dollar...heh, sometimes I crack myself up.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it could be as simple as asset class rotation.

right in the midst of the dot com, real estate, hell just about any major, multi year run of double digit returns for an asset class, it seems like it can't go down, like "this time it's different", like the run of plusses will continue forever.

the bear case could be stated as, "this time, it's NOT different" and when the hot money moves on to the next bubble, the positive return years for metals will be over for a while.

Think stocks and real estate sectors won't "be back" someday, won't outperform metals during some future years? image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JP Morgue effectively has their short silver positions transferred to other "friendly" banks, thereby maintaining the current short, if not increasing it.
    CFTC decides that JPM's current Comex and otc derivative's postions are acceptable, or could even be stacked further.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prices reflect fundamentals for the first half of rallies. Then sentiment takes over. IMO, we are 10 years into this cycle so fundamentals are likely fully reflected. Its up to sentiment to now determine future direction.

China will not continue to grow at 15% a year so growth "rates" will decline. Look at CISCO are example. Everything people said about the company and its business in 1999 was exactly correct. The interenet has completely changed the way business gets done and CSCO as a company has doubled over the last 10 years. Unfortunately the stock price is only 25% of its peak.

So are those who may argue that fundamentals are not fully reflected, it is possible that Europe or the Treasury market collapses and it has not effect on PM prices.

Silver and copper and oil prices are 7x higher than they were in 2002. Thats a great run.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    cohodk, it's not about silver and copper prices or fundamentals. I respectfully submit that it is about the dollar.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>cohodk, it's not about silver and copper prices or fundamentals. I respectfully submit that it is about the dollar.image >>

I agree. It's about rushing to the best performing investment. However, the rush out could be faster than the rush in.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    << Silver and copper and oil prices are 7x higher than they were in 2002. Thats a great run. >>

Prices are meaningless if the price mechanism collapses from overproduction of the pricing unit. Silver had an even better run in Zimbabwe dollars where, according to this article, inflation reached the point where prices were nearly doubling every day.

It's unlikely that the U.S. dollar will deteriorate to that extreme, but unrestrained dollar creation could reach a point where it will be more meaningful to price dollars in ounces of silver rather than the other way around.

• Options

<< <i><< Silver and copper and oil prices are 7x higher than they were in 2002. Thats a great run. >>

Prices are meaningless if the price mechanism collapses from overproduction of the pricing unit. Silver had an even better run in Zimbabwe dollars where, according to this article, inflation reached the point where prices were nearly doubling every day.

It's unlikely that the U.S. dollar will deteriorate to that extreme, but unrestrained dollar creation could reach a point where it will be more meaningful to price dollars in ounces of silver rather than the other way around. >>

It's interesting to note that the $ index is actually up 6% this year. What will silver price at if and when the dollar is flat or down.
  • Options
    << It's interesting to note that the $ index is actually up 6% this year. What will silver price at if and when the dollar is flat or down. >>

The dollar index is up against a basket of currencies that are also depreciating. Silver could go up even if the dollar index continues to rise.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dollar index is up against a basket of currencies that are also depreciating. Silver could go up even if the dollar index continues to rise.

Look at the chart of the USDX and you'll see a large "paper" bounce from Dec 2009-June 2010. But when you look at a chart of the USDX ratioed against silver or gold you'll see that "bounce" really only lasted 2 months and was fairly negligible in a strong 2 yr down trend.

USD vs. Silver 3 yr chart

Anyone fixating on just the USD chart would see it "holding" a trading range for the past 2-1/2 yrs thereby "proving" it was maintaining value. But that would be a huge mistake.

USDollar chart

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One has to be careful when looking at the USDX

The Euro comprises over 50% 0f it's weight. Therfore as the Euro goes so does the USDX

YTD (back of envelope calculations) of the USDX currencies

Euro vs Dollar -9% (57% weight)
    Sterling vs Dollar -4% (12% weight)
    Swiss Franc vs Dollar +3% (4% weight)
    Canado vs Dollar +2% (9 % weight)
    Swedish Krona vs Dollar +2% (4% weight)
    Japenese Yen vs Dollar +11% (14% weight)

Silver vs Dollar + 66%
    Aussie dollar vs US Dollar +10%
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>One has to be careful when looking at the USDX

The Euro comprises over 50% 0f it's weight. Therfore as the Euro goes so does the USDX

YTD (back of envelope calculations) of the USDX currencies

Euro vs Dollar -9% (57% weight)
    Sterling vs Dollar -4% (12% weight)
    Swiss Franc vs Dollar +3% (4% weight)
    Canado vs Dollar +2% (9 % weight)
    Swedish Krona vs Dollar +2% (4% weight)
    Japenese Yen vs Dollar +11% (14% weight)

Silver vs Dollar + 66%
    Aussie dollar vs US Dollar +10% >>

Good points. Despite the good showing of the dollar away from the Euro, silver and gold made terrific advances against it, which flies in the face of those who suggest that gold and silver won't advance if the dollar strengthens.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I never realized how complicated all this is. My head is spinning. I guess my next question is will silver keep it's steady climb or is this just a

temporary situation?

In my simple world I seem to see silver rising slowly over the next 6-12 months.

What you guys are saying is way over my head.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see a correction for the price of Silver in the near future.

I still think $50++ an ounce is in silver's future.

But Silver went from $19 to $30 in 3 months!!

Too much in too little time.

I guess my point is, I'd hold off buying more silver now, but I would definitely recommend it when silver corrects to the $20 to $23 range.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭
    Best bear case: I JUST BOUGHT SOME image

Over and above what I sold 40% to trade over to 90%, so that ought to drop the price REAL fast!

I'm pretty much out of dry powder, rebates, etc. so if Double Eagle is right, $20-23 is right around the corner... image

Is anyone shorting silver hard, like substantial chunk of your portfolio? It did go up a whole lot, awwwwful fasssst. It's not in my bones to short silver, but some regrouping does seem to be in order to keep silver's whipsaw reputation intact.

I was picking up $5 to $10 lots of 90% this summer at 10 - 11 x (with rebates) on ebay, and now 6 months later, I can barely buy some halves at 20x + pay shipping on the BST LOL
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Best bear case: I JUST BOUGHT SOME image

Over and above what I sold 40% to trade over to 90%, so that ought to drop the price REAL fast!

I'm pretty much out of dry powder, rebates, etc. so if Double Eagle is right, $20-23 is right around the corner... image

Is anyone shorting silver hard, like substantial chunk of your portfolio? It did go up a whole lot, awwwwful fasssst. It's not in my bones to short silver, but some regrouping does seem to be in order to keep silver's whipsaw reputation intact.

I was picking up $5 to $10 lots of 90% this summer at 10 - 11 x (with rebates) on ebay, and now 6 months later, I can barely buy some halves at 20x + pay shipping on the BST LOL >>

As much as I think we're in for a correction, I would not advise shorting silver.

Too much of a gamble for me.

There's still a lot of years to go with this PM bull cycle.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    Silver up +$1.01 today. Is that the first time that it's gained a dollar a day since 1980?

I knew it would happen.