Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New error purchases (UPDATED)- Error of the Month Club (UPDATED)

jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
OK - Technical Difficulties aside, I think this one should work

I got these off the bay about a week ago - hope you enjoy. They are from the Error of the Month Club. Anyone have more information about this club; I realize they are probably no longer in business but they are fascinating I think!

The broadstruck dime, which I have a close-up of seems very unique, I have not seen full reeding like that on a silver dime. Maybe it is common but I thought it was very neat.

Lastly, I came across the cent planchets with the webbing of steel wartime cent planchets. I have never seen the webbing of this type of coin so, again, I thought it was a neat pick up.

Hope y'all enjoy as much as I do!


image

image

image

image

image
Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014

Comments

  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was run by a Jim Heine, who I knew back
    in the late 60's and early 70's.

    He was part of the San Diego Error Club group;
    I don't know too much about the FDC or how
    many were issued - I've bought them off of
    Ebay every few years when they've shown up.

    I'm guessing that there were maybe 3-4 dozen members
    of the Error Coin of the Month Club deal, maybe somewhat
    more, but I don't think that info was available back then,
    and certainly not now.

    Jim was a very nice guy, probably in his late 40's/early
    50's back at that time; he was, in once sense, typical
    of the error collector who actively promoted the hobby
    then.

    By the way, Lemon Grove is a suburb of the San Diego area.


    I hope that someone else might be able to contribute a
    memory or two...
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors for PCGS. A 50+ Year PNG Member.A full-time numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022.
  • Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Fred - I think I might start collecting these and leaving the coins in place. image
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,836 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was wondering who won that, I was one of the underbidders. If you have a chance I'd love to see a closer pic of the other coin inthe envelope, the ragged clip.

    I would check that carefully and make sure the plastic inserts are not PVC, I've seen other envelopes from the same promotion where the coin looked terribly corroded.


    Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

    "Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    Hey Sean!

    I did notice that there is some corrosion going on. I wanted to keep them in the envelope but I guess I should get them out ASAP?



    What do you think acetone first and then a quick dip? JK image


    Other ideas?
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    I took the coins out of the holder and dipped them in Acetone - I am very glad that I did as there has been some corrosion. The corrosion is most evident on the dime scrap where the toning is noticeably missing. It is also evident on the reverse of the dime - but in hand the dime does not look that bad at all.

    They are in 2x2 holders now; I think I will attach them and place them back in the envelope somehow - at least they will maintain their original intended presentation.

    Also, in looking at the obverse of the dime a little closer - could someone please educate me on what I am seeing at about 7 thru 11 o'clock at the rim? Is it just the effects of the broadstrike that is causing that or is there something else going on?


    image

    image
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    The planchet strip is a neat item, never seen one before.

    The way they shipped the stuff is interesting. No insurance, in plain view.
    I guess they thought nobody would care to take a messed up dime fragment. image
    Ed
  • Options
    errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭
    The serrations along the perimeter in the SW quadrant would be indicative of collar clash.
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file