Home U.S. Coin Forum

Now that i finally bought the Canon Rebel T2i, what other lens to get?

I finally decided on the Canon T2i camera and picked it up yesterday. I got Sears to take another 10 percent off of it. I also bought the 75-300 lens but do not have that in my hands yet. I paid 90 bucks for it but want to know wether i should keep that lens or add another 50 dollars and get the 55-250 lense in place of the 75-300 lense or bypass both and get a macro lens? I want to take decent coin pics but overall that will only account for 5 percent of the pics i take if that many. I would like to take quite a few wildlife pics as i am out in the boondocks most of the time.

I had actually talked myself into buying the Sony a390L camera for $449 and changed over to the Canon T2i when sears would not go another 10 percent on that one.

I want to go ahead and buy a macro and telephoto lens while i am still happy and then learn to use it. I am thinking of taking a 1 on 1, 3 hour course to get a handle on using this camera.

Mark
NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"

Comments

• speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Either the Sigma 105mm or Canon 100mm lenses are highly recommended by myself.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• If you are looking for a good multipurpose lens, I've been looking around a bit for one for my Cannon, and I think I'm going to go for a 17-85mm.

I got some Hoya macro filters for $40 a little while back (1x, 2x, 4x and you can put them all together). While they're not as good as a true macro lens (ridiculously low depth of field) and the photog snobs won't respect you, I think they work for coins because you just need to take a shot of a single plane in space. Would save you a lot of money. It would at least hold you for awhile while you save up for a macro lens.

Don't forget to put some money aside for a decent tripod if you're looking at telephotos.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Either the Sigma 105mm or Canon 100mm lenses are highly recommended by myself. >>

I agree for slab photos. I just got the Sigma 150 which might be better for coins only. --Jerry
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just happened across this Canon lens
    I don't know the store, or the lens
    just seems like a good price

link
    LCoopie = Les
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    You can get a gently used canon 100mm macro for around $400 on eBay.
    For a multi purpose general lens the 18-55mm is ok. There are better lenses for portraits.
    Biggest issue with coins are toners. Hard to get lighting just right.

Also use canon eos utility software that comes with the camera. You can see what your images will look like on the computer, and shoot remotely through the computer.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

<< <i>....
    Also use canon eos utility software that comes with the camera. You can see what your images will look like on the computer, and shoot remotely through the computer. >>

This is a must for taking good images.

I would add that paying for quality glass is worth it. My Sigma 105 mm cost more than my Cannon Rebel XSi body and I'm not ashamed. But if cost is a huge priority you may consider a different lens to start with. Then if you are inclined upgrade. FYI the 150 mm lens was too much money for my needs.

Cheers!

Kirk
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • For coin photography the Canon 100mm macro is a good lens. As far as a general purpose lens I have the Canon 15-85 IS and am very happy with it.

To be painfully honest, the Canon 75-300 is considered by many photographers to be one of Canon's worst lenses for image quality. I have one and would concur; it sits in a desk drawer. I learned after the fact, without doing research in advance. Sort of like years ago when I learned the hard way about whizzed coins..... turns out that 1880-O Morgan wasn't MS65 after all..... thankfully at the time it was only a $100 lesson.....

As in the coin industry, you get what you pay for. Just my thoughts......
    Paul Fillmore
    ANA LM5200
    For family pics, I have this lens. It cost me around $90, and is spectacular for the money.

Lens
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20

• << <i>For coin photography the Canon 100mm macro is a good lens. As far as a general purpose lens I have the Canon 15-85 IS and am very happy with it.

To be painfully honest, the Canon 75-300 is considered by many photographers to be one of Canon's worst lenses for image quality. I have one and would concur; it sits in a desk drawer. I learned after the fact, without doing research in advance. Sort of like years ago when I learned the hard way about whizzed coins..... turns out that 1880-O Morgan wasn't MS65 after all..... thankfully at the time it was only a $100 lesson.....

As in the coin industry, you get what you pay for. Just my thoughts...... >>

I had the 75-300 and it suckkkkeddd....I sold it. Gotta go L glass for telephotos no way around it.
  • pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I can already see that lens choice is going to be harder than picking the camera. I appreciate the comments so far.

So should i just forget about the 75-300 and the 50-250 lens? These 2 are the same price right now everywhere until January. They are roughly 100 and 150 each right now. I bought it as a kit although it was not written up that way. I have the camera now and left the lens in Sears lay a way just so i would not lose out on the deal, but i do need to make up my mind by Friday on which lens of the 2 if i want one at the package price.

I want a decent lens for the coins, military stuff and guns and detailed pics of stuff i work on, and a lens for outside in the back forty taking pics that the object is at least 75 feet or more away.

Another probably stupid question, are all SD memory cards equal?

Speety- Thanks for the info, have i read threads in the past you use this same canon camera? Are these 2 lens over 800 plus? A quick look at ebay i found a few over 800 and a couple priced under 200 so i assume it is not the 200 dollar ones.

I hope to spend a few hours this weekend taking some pics. I have about 6 coins that i have wanted to post pics of here for the last few years. I will have to figure out photobucket also, although i have saved a thread that was posted here on how to do it.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • I use the TSi, which is actually a worse camera than the one you have. I currently have the Sigma 105mm lens, I've played with the Canon 100mm and it feels a bit "sturdier" but the image results are about the same. The Sigma was much cheaper when I bought mine, but the canon has come down a little in price.

Both lenses should be available for about $400 on ebay. The Sigma a little less (and in new condition; ~ $300 used), the Canon a little more (when gently used). If you go with the Sigma, make sure you get the Canon "version", the make the same lens for nikon as well but it has a different mount. You might want to try the BST, a lot of people have had luck on there. I know Robec just sold a 150mm Sigma for $400 which was an absolute steal imho.

Good luck!

Mark
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I can't tell you about about Canon zoom lenses.

As far as macro lenses for Canon: You need to stick to newer Af lenses with Canon. That means Canon 100mm macro, Sigma 105 or 150, Tamron 90, Tokina 100mm. There are no "bad" macro lenses and all will take very nice pictures. Probably best to stick to 100mm or greater for focal length.

Macro "filters", add-on lenses that allow a normal lens to do more macro work are good, but you need to get good ones. you will lose working distance with them. the sets of 3 that are commonly sold are typically not worth the glass that they are made from. Buy a decent single one ( canon 250D, Canon 500D, Raynox dcr-250, Nikon 5T, Nikon 6T) and you will be much happier.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I realize my Nikon will not be the same in all aspects as your Canon, but I have used my Nikon D70 for nearly six years and it performs flawlessly with a single 60mm lens for everything from family to coin photography. Additionally, I have a 105mm lens dedicated to coin photography, but I think that lens is too heavy or cumbersome for everyday imaging.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My D-SLR is dedicated to coins. I have 3 macros, 50mm, 105mm, and 180mm. I use the 180 almost exclusively, except for shooting larger objects like slabs for ebay.

For family, pet and vacation photos I found that a compact digital camera with a very good lens is all I need and a lot less effort to tote. The Panasonic Lumix with its Leica lens is spectacular. YMMV.
    Lance.
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Either the Sigma 105mm or Canon 100mm lenses are highly recommended by myself. >>

I agree for slab photos. I just got the Sigma 150 which might be better for coins only. --Jerry >>

Jerry a 100 or 105 is better than a 150 for imaging slabbed coins? Why or how so? image
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't frame an entire slab in a 150mm+ macro lens from normal copy-stand distances.
    Lance.
    For slab shots a 60mm will work fine. The 60mm macro is a good lens for beginners in my opinion.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20

• << <i>I can't tell you about about Canon zoom lenses.

As far as macro lenses for Canon: You need to stick to newer Af lenses with Canon. That means Canon 100mm macro, Sigma 105 or 150, Tamron 90, Tokina 100mm. There are no "bad" macro lenses and all will take very nice pictures. Probably best to stick to 100mm or greater for focal length.

Macro "filters", add-on lenses that allow a normal lens to do more macro work are good, but you need to get good ones. you will lose working distance with them. the sets of 3 that are commonly sold are typically not worth the glass that they are made from. Buy a decent single one ( canon 250D, Canon 500D, Raynox dcr-250, Nikon 5T, Nikon 6T) and you will be much happier. >>

This guy wrote the book on Coin Photography... LITERALLY! google it!

Like everyone is saying, get a macro lens dedicated for coins at 100mm + and you will be happy. Tether your camera to a computer for live view and you will be thrilled!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file