Home Sports Talk
Options

UCONN Women- 89 in a row

I am not a big women's basketball follower but it was nice to see the UCONN Women beat the UCLA consecutive win streak record last night.
Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars

Comments

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing what they have accomplished!
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am not a big women's basketball follower but it was nice to see the UCONN Women beat the UCLA consecutive win streak record last night. >>

Congrats to them and that's very impressive, but it should not be considered against NCAA Men's records.

What's next?....A women player breaking one of the Men's shooting records or most rebounds? I'm not against the women's sports, but its lets don't say a women's team broke a man's team record. If we do, they should be playing in the same league together.

Glad to see and hear lots of sports writers that feel the same way.

Again, congrats to UCONN and all of its fans...That is an incredible run they are on.

brian
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I am not a big women's basketball follower but it was nice to see the UCONN Women beat the UCLA consecutive win streak record last night. >>

Congrats to them and that's very impressive, but it should not be considered against NCAA Men's records.

What's next?....A women player breaking one of the Men's shooting records or most rebounds? I'm not against the women's sports, but its lets don't say a women's team broke a man's team record. If we do, they should be playing in the same league together.

Glad to see and hear lots of sports writers that feel the same way.

Again, congrats to UCONN and all of its fans...That is an incredible run they are on.

brian >>

I don't think it is considered against the Men's record. It is a NCAA record. Whether it be men's basketball, women's basketball, baseball, volleyball or whatever.
  • Options
    I hear the WNBA has big plans for promoting it's 3rd dunk should such a thing ever happen.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options

<< <i>I hear the WNBA has big plans for promoting it's 3rd dunk should such a thing ever happen. >>

imageimage

-brian
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    To me Uconn has put great teams on the floor for years. The coach is obviously one of the best of all time. What they have accomplished is very impressive. However, it has absolutely nothing to do with what UCLA did. It's not even in the same ball park. It's ridicilous to compare. The Uconn coach sounded like an idiot the other night. They have not "beat" UCLA. They are completely different records. Sure, if it makes people feel good to say Uconn "beat" UCLA's streak that's great but the fact is the games are completely different. For example, women's basketball has huge disparity in the teams. It's not uncommon for the good teams (like Uconn) to beat other teams by 40 and 50 points routinely. It's very easy to predict the final 4 in women's college basketball. The men's game is completely different.

I acknowledge that the men's game back in the 70's was different than today and it would be much harder today for a men's team to "beat" what UCLA did but, regardless, to compare women's feats and men's feats is just stupid to me.

I suppose I am a very bias Bruin fan but frankly I think Big Red, Sidney Wicks, and whoever else were on those teams could beat Uconn today! Ok, I am half joking with that statement.

Even if Uconn wins 10 NCAA championships in 12 years I don't think they have equalled UCLA. The game is just different. It's like comparing baseball and soccer.

Ok, that's my rant for the day.
  • Options
    Let me add I enjoy women's basketball for what it is. I have been to countless WNBA games when we used to have the Monarch's in Sac. I am going to a TN Vol women's game this year. However, it's just a different game than the men's game.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    It is an amazing streak
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy crap, Maya Moore's biceps are starting to look like Dwight Howard's!! WNBA teams are going to be ditching their season to get the #1 pick.
  • Options
    "Connecticut....where the men are men and the women are champions"
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Connecticut....where the men are men and the women are champions" >>

I love to see Maya Moore go 1 on 1 with Ray Allen! image
  • Options
    They say that Maya Moore has never lost a college basketball game in her career.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Winning 89 games in row is pretty amazing, but it does not come close to the 150+ game win streak put together by De LaSalle High School's [located in Concord, California] football team during the 1990's and early 2000's. Now that is one heck of a streak. De LaSalle was so good during that run that the team started travelling out of state to play top high school teams from different parts of the country.

This year's squad was 14-0 and last Saturday won the California Open Division state championship.

The program has produced some very good players, including Amani Toomer, D.J. Williams and Maurice Jones-Drew of NFL fame.

It's basketball program is also very good and it's alumni include the four sons (Drew, Scooter, Brent and John) of NBA Hall of Famer Rick Barry.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    larryallen73 pretty much covered what I was going to post. It's nice and all, but there is no comparison between this UConn streak and what UCLA accomplished.

The UConn women play maybe 3-4 games a year where the other team has a prayer of not losing by 50 points. There are only a handful of big time programs in womens basketball, the rest are horrible. Without any competitive balance, its silly to make such a big deal about this. And their head coach is an arrogant jerk anyway.
  • Options

<< <i>larryallen73 pretty much covered what I was going to post. It's nice and all, but there is no comparison between this UConn streak and what UCLA accomplished.

The UConn women play maybe 3-4 games a year where the other team has a prayer of not losing by 50 points. There are only a handful of big time programs in womens basketball, the rest are horrible. Without any competitive balance, its silly to make such a big deal about this. And their head coach is an arrogant jerk anyway. >>

The competetive balance of men's college basketball was almost as lopsided in the late 1960s to mid 1970s as the women's game is now -- with UCLA winning 10 titles in 12 years, they did not even have a formidable rival like UConn has (Tennessee). Yes, it is different, but that does not necessarily make UConn's streak "easier". And I doubt UConn will achieve the 10 titles in 12 years, although it is possible.
  • Options
    Nobody seemed to care....

The Beef 'O' Brady's bowl between Louisville and Southern Miss drew a 2.0 rating on ESPN, while the UCONN game at the same time drew a 1.0 on ESPN2.

I know I was flipping between the football game and hockey.
  • Options

<< <i>Nobody seemed to care....

The Beef 'O' Brady's bowl between Louisville and Southern Miss drew a 2.0 rating on ESPN, while the UCONN game at the same time drew a 1.0 on ESPN2.

I know I was flipping between the football game and hockey. >>

How is Beef O Brady's? Decent for a chain, or crappy like Hard Rock?
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The competetive balance of men's college basketball was almost as lopsided in the late 1960s to mid 1970s as the women's game is now -- with UCLA winning 10 titles in 12 years, they did not even have a formidable rival like UConn has (Tennessee). Yes, it is different, but that does not necessarily make UConn's streak "easier". And I doubt UConn will achieve the 10 titles in 12 years, although it is possible. >>

It's also worth noting that UCLA was cheating like crazy during their streak - even Bill Walton has admitted that the players were paid - and that UConn has run a clean program.

Also, FWIW, UConn plays pretty much every top program in the country during their non-conference schedule. Yeah, they play a bunch of cupcakes as well but they don't duck anyone either.

None of that should imply I think UConn's streak is on the same level as UCLA's. It's not. But it's an impressive one, nonetheless.

Tabe
  • Options
    they did not even have a formidable rival like UConn has (Tennessee).

I believe the Fighting Irish were the last loss before the streak and also broke the streak, no!? Or maybe that was one of their other long winning streaks.

It's also worth noting that UCLA was cheating like crazy during their streak - even Bill Walton has admitted that the players were paid - and that UConn has run a clean program.

No doubt UCLA was cheating... as were all of UCLA's competition back then. EVERY single college football and basketball team cheated back in the day. I know people who played football at my non-scholership division II school in the 60's and they received cash to play! EVERYBODY cheated back then. Anybody that tells you their school didn't cheat is fooling themselves.

Winning 89 games in row is pretty amazing, but it does not come close to the 150+ game win streak put together by De LaSalle High School's [located in Concord, California] football team during the 1990's and early 2000's. Now that is one heck of a streak. De LaSalle was so good during that run that the team started travelling out of state to play top high school teams from different parts of the country.

I am not a DLS fan but being in Nor Cal the last 25 years I am familiar with their success and it is amazing. Of course they recruit, give scholerships, etc.... I have several friends who went there and after a couple beers they will put down the defense and admit the truth. They have some advantages the public schools don't have but, nonetheless, their success is truly amazing and for a long time now.
  • Options

<< <i>

How is Beef O Brady's? Decent for a chain, or crappy like Hard Rock? >>

It's pretty decent. Typical sports bar grub food meaning wings, burgers, sandwiches, wraps, nachos...that type of thing. I wouldn't call it one of my favorite places to eat, but it's a good place to meet up and watch a game or a fight with some friends.
  • Options

<< <i>Nobody seemed to care....

I know I was flipping between the football game and hockey. >>

I couldn't have said it any better. Great post Goot.

brian
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't confuse Ctsoxfan with the facts..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    After reading this thread's title, I was expecting a 'Clerks' reference... apparently I'm the only fan. image

In a row? lol
  • Options
    I was just looking at my local ratings for last week. There was a Christmas episode of an old Barney Miller show that got a higher rating than the UConn 89th win game. Amazing!

brianimage
  • Options
    You can say what you want that it is not the same but the fact is that is an NCAA division 1 program and a NCAA division 1 record that was broken, so it is comparing apples to apples, not apples to oranges. Yes it is a women's team but that makes no difference at all. TV Ratings mean nothing to the fact that they now own the record and they did in fact break the UCLA record. If you look in the record book today it will say UCONN not UCLA and that is all that matters. These women will beat anyone on these boards in a game one on one, horse, around the world or any other game you can think of.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>Don't confuse Ctsoxfan with the facts.. >>

Wait, I thought I had the facts:

1. UConn women won a whole lot of basketball games in a row

2. Women's basketball sucks, and no one cares about it

3. Even if you do care about it, its not the same quality of play or competition as the mens game. Not by a longshot.

Isn't that it?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Don't confuse Ctsoxfan with the facts.. >>

Wait, I thought I had the facts:

1. UConn women won a whole lot of basketball games in a row

2. Women's basketball sucks, and no one cares about it

3. Even if you do care about it, its not the same quality of play or competition as the mens game. Not by a longshot.

Isn't that it? >>

Although you being from CT I would think that you would of figured out the the entire state follows women's basketball so there goes therory #2 of yours. Now to kill theory #3 of yours. It is a different game because it is women's basketball and not mens. Men do play differently and it is obvious but they have the same level of competition because they are playing other women that are college age. They are a lot better than the competition and that is not their fault. They have one the best coaches and they get the best players out of high school because they have the #1 women's program in the country. It is like saying that UCLA had no competition in the 70's they were becausethey were a better team then with a great coach.

I am not the biggest women's basketball follower and have only watched 2 or 3 games in the last 3 years but you just have to give it to them and I hate it when people think that it is different because they are women. You might as well say they all belong in the kitchen making babies. Get out of the 1940s.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    To put all this in perspective:

UConn has already run the table the last two seasons, and is well on track to do it again this year. No men's b-ball team has run the table in 35 years (1976 Hoosiers)! And also, is there any team in any US team sport that's had a longer winning streak???
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars