Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Chinese Coinage - Any Informational Books or Price Guides?

Hi folks,

I have become increasingly interested in learning more about Chinese coinage and was just wondering if there were any particular books, price guides, or other resources that you all would recommend to a beginner interested in learning more about these coins.

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    prices are high- many counterfeits- be careful

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    Try to locate an old Krause from the late 1980's/early 90's before they split the books into expensive multiple volumes by century. That will give you most of the stuff from about 1700 until the date of the edition. If you are into older Chinese "cash" coins, then the book "Chinese Cash" by O.D. Cresswell is good for a guide. I usually get most of my books from Brooklyn Gallery of Stamps & Coins .. they have a great website and the best prices around. The Cresswell book is less than $10 and the old Krause may be about $20 .. but it will give you every country on the planet, not just China.
  • Options
    Highly recommend these three volumes:

Illustrated Catalog of Chinese Coins, Vol. 1: Gold, Silver, Nickel and Aluminum by Eduard Kann Paperback $29.95

Illustrated Catalog of Chinese Coins, Vol. 2: Gold, Silver, Nickel and Aluminum by Eduard Kann Paperback $29.95

Illustrated Catalog of Chinese Coins, Vol. 3: Gold, Silver, Nickel and Aluminum by Eduard Kann Paperback $24.95

Presently available at Amazon.

Product Description
    Eduard Kann (1880-1962) was the world's leading authority on Chinese coins and on the Chinese monetary system. He was a banker who lived in China for 47 years, during which he both collected coins and served as a top adviser to the ministry that controlled the Chinese monetary system. He writes that "I had to leave China in a hurry" during the takeover by Mao in 1949. The New York Times for May 23, 1971, page D37, reports: "The finest collection of Chinese coins [is] the collection of Eduard Kann, a banker who lived in China for 47 years. During his long numismatic career, Mr. Kann compiled the Catalog of Chinese Coins which was published in 1953." This book does not merely contain pictures of the coins and descriptions thereof. Included are biographies of the emperors, war lords, and sometimes even petty bureaucrats whose likenesses were depicted on these coins. Included are biographies of men whose identities have otherwise been lost to history. Thus, this book is must reading not only for coin collectors but for serious students of the history of China. The massive original was one volume of 700 pages in length. This reprint divides the book into three volumes. The photographs and illustrations that are at the end of the book in the original have been moved up to be next to or close to the coins that are being described. As China was not a unified country at that time, this book is divided into regions and into the type of metal, Gold, Silver, Nickel and Aluminum, that was used to make the coins. This first volume starts at the beginning and ends with Silver Szechuen Rupees of 1912.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a few pages from Kann on my website under "Coin Book Excerpts".

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Price are outdated. recent Auction price and Ebay price are your price guide.

kann's book are great and they are must have for Chinese coin collectors.

This one is called Chinese Kann. He worked for Bank of China so he has lots of info about Chinese coins. I think you can get this one on pandaAmerica website for about $149. they also has one book for Chinese modern coins (after 1949).

"An overview of China's gold & silver coins of past ages-the gold and silver coins and medals of modern China"

I used a 1987 delux world coin catalog which is very good. Lots of pictures.

I think you still can find this one on Amazon. He gave all his coins to Shangshai museum.

Tranlation of modern coins of China or this Mr. Shi Jiagan's Collection of Chinese and Foreign Coins

This one also very good.

"ILLUSTRATIONS OF CHINESE GOLD SILVER AND NICKEL COINS"

If you have a catalog of Dec. 3 HongKong auction, check out the books that catalog refered to. Those are the books that you want.

• Options
    To give you a example of how book price are outdated. The following 10 CASH coin book price is VG $28, F $85, VF $150, XF $250 no price for UNC. BM estimated this NGC XF-45 as $100 to $150 but it sold for $31,625

Text
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

TextTo give you a example of how book price are outdated. The following 10 CASH coin book price is VG $28, F $85, VF $150, XF $250 no price for UNC. BM estimated this NGC XF-45 as $100 to $150 but it sold for $31,625

Krause is presently totally out of touch with almost all Chinese coin prices. Their Fengtein province prices are nowhere close.
  • Options
    Tengtien coins are always sought after by collectors. ONe of the Fentien dollar in CNG auction estimate 4k but current bid is $27,500 already with more than two weeks to go.
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There are a few pages from Kann on my website under "Coin Book Excerpts". >>

And not to hijack the thread, but Kann's other book, "The Currencies of China: An Investigation of Silver & Gold Transactions Affecting China with a Section on Copper" from 1925 (but reprinted in 1975), has more good information on Mexican coinage used in China. The original is a few hundred dollars, but the reprint is reasonable.
  • Options
    I have that book but it is pretty dry to read it. Reads like a doc.
  • Options
    Thank you for all of the helpful advice everyone - I clearly have alot to learn and just ordered many of the books you recommended! image
  • Options
    I'll toot my own horn to mention that if you are interested in Panda coins, The Gold and Silver Panda Coin Buyer's Guide is a 208 page book that could be of interest. For Chinese coin prices, the Panda Pricepedia price guide covers both Pandas and Lunar coins on a monthly basis with auction and dealer prices from Asia, North America and Europe.

Best wishes,
    Peter Anthony
    Pandacollector.com
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have that book but it is pretty dry to read it. Reads like a doc. >>

Reference, my friend, reference. The dictionary is a dry read too! image
  • Options
    My friend, I agree with you. I just say what I feel about the book.