Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Are coins dipped in acetone before they are slabbed by TPG companies?

I had to ask this question. What if a coin had been in contact with PVC, but there is no damage yet present. The last owner submits the coin to be slabbed. Once the coin is slabbed with PVC contaminants, after only a few years, we see some green slime on it or other PVC related damage. Is the coin the same grade? NO.

So, I am thinking, does PCGS or NGC dip the coin in acetone before slabbing? If not, does the scenario I described not hold any just concern? Or are the coins inspected for PVC contamination and body bagged if they fail that test?

The only reason I like slabbed coins at this time is because it makes it easier to purchase coins on ebay or other online venue--no worries of counterfeit gold or exaggerated condition.
"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

Comments

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I can't say this with any claim to knowing, but I suspect the answer is no.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    I've heard of enough coins getting BB'd for contaminants that I'm sure they don't do it themselves. 'course, the guys across the street will do it for you if you pay them more image

Not sure where liability falls if a PVC infected coin does get past the graders.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen numerous foreign coins that have had a bath experience that get slabbed over in Florida. Some are getting good at the bathing too, even keeping some of the original lustre.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen major TPG slabbed coins of mine with change in appearance not simply due to being entombed. I think they may bathe or somehow lightly process at least some pieces (IMO and no names mentioned)...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG

Second time today and the first time I have used this in the entire time posting here

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    I think PCGS does dip coins that have surface contaminants. I know they dipped coins because I have been submitting several coins for grading and most of them just look different being in a slab, usually they look cleaner! What chemical does PCGS use to dip coins? I have no idea!

Interesting fact: I inquired this subject to PCGS customer service once and they dennied any coins being dipped!