Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Anyone here collect Swedish coins?? How do you do it??

Series?? King?? Period?? Type??

My son and I are interested but don't quite know where to begin. image
"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some attractive and fairly inexpensive 20th century commem issues.

I would look at coin shows-

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My son and I are interested but don't quite know where to begin.

I collect Sweden very casually and go to Stockholm every year or two when I find a good auction.

First tip: Get a copy of this book. You may want to shop for a better price, of course.

Second tip: Join the SNF, if for no other reason than to get their bi-monthly (?) journal, which includes auction ads and news. (If you decide to do this, I can help with the logistics. They don't take Paypal or dollars.)

Finally, as to what to collect, it's the same as everything else. First, figure out what exists. Then, just pick something to collect and go for it.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I mainly have a slightly dis-organized but large hodge-podge of 3 centuries of Swedish coins.

I do collect the silver commemorative 2KR, 5KR and 10KR coins.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WARNING! SPAM

I have some Swedish 'Mint Sets' I no longer need. image

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the old 17th century hunks of copper.

imageimage
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect all Swedish plate money and the coins of Queen Christina myself.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might want to broadly decide copper,silver or gold sweden coins....

You also might want to decide on denomination......

Or a particular historical period in time.....

The 20 krona of the late 19th century do not have much premium over gold and you could put a date set together.......
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    One can collect all coins issued each year of Sweden's existence, but that gets too overwhelming and not necessary to enjoy the hobby.

I like Swedish coins too. What I do is collect gold coins of the European monarchs in the last 300 years. I just love European history. Since bidask mentioned it, the 20 Krona gold coins of the 19th century sound like a nice start.

You can even just narrow it down to the Silver Swedish commemorative coins. Its a narrow focus, but there are plenty enough coins to collect to keep you and your son busy.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey lakesammman, I can't offer any insight on the Swedish pieces, but I am curious about what your user id represents. Is it Lake Sammamish by chance?
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Harasha and SaorAlba - beautiful pieces in your posts!
  • Options
    I collect Swedish coppers (skillings and ore). Most of mine were obtained through the "normal" sources (eBay, Vcoins, NEN, etc.)

You might also try Tradera. It is the functional equivalent of eBay (and actually owned by eBay) in Sweden. Select the "Mynt & Sedlar" category on the left side of the main page. All prices are in Krona, but you can do a quick conversion on XE .

I would be curious to know if anyone in the US has successfully registered with Tradera. They often have some nice material but my eBay credentials don't work and my few casual attempts at registration have been declined.

Best of luck on your collecting!
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I collect Swedish coppers (skillings and ore). Most of mine were obtained through the "normal" sources (eBay, Vcoins, NEN, etc.)

You might also try Tradera. It is the functional equivalent of eBay (and actually owned by eBay) in Sweden. Select the "Mynt & Sedlar" category on the left side of the main page. All prices are in Krona, but you can do a quick conversion on XE .

I would be curious to know if anyone in the US has successfully registered with Tradera. They often have some nice material but my eBay credentials don't work and my few casual attempts at registration have been declined.

Best of luck on your collecting! >>

I think I attempted it at one time, but Swedish language is so far out to left field for me that I couldn't make sense of it and gave up. Occasionally I see plate money on there, which is why I was interested to their site.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestions AND pictures. image

Yep - Sammamish - that's the Lake. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

try WWW.riibe.com

second screen check the english block

Krueger
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Appreciate the link - my son is fluent in Swedish and can help in the translations, logistics, etc. image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

carefully

I like the crowns form the 1770s and some of the 20th century commems evn though they are common- most of the designs make them worth owning

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.