Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Is this a modern German coin or a private commemorative?

I won this as a coin club door prize several years ago and threw it into my miscellaneous stuff bag. Now that silver's pushing $30 I decided to rummage through the bag and it turned up again. It feels like it weighs maybe .5 ounce. Any help/comments would be appreciated.

When in doubt, don't.

Comments

• Options
    It's not a coin , you'll of course know thats the Olympic rings and a sweetheart i well remember Olga Korbut the Russian gymnast that took 4 gold medals and two silvers in 72 and 76.

Drei is three so i reckon thats a medal struck to commemorate her 3 gold medals at Munich in 72.
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    The little funky looking F below "München" on reverse and the same to the right of the copyright symbol on the edge is a Franklin Mint marking.

There are catalogs for Franklin Mint products where you could find the ASW and more.. but I wouldn't know where to get that info anymore

Not bad for a freebie image
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Not a coin, but it is called either a medallion or round. If it was a coin, then it would have a numismatic designation like 5 Marks, 10 Euros, etc. It must have some face value to it. Otherwise, its still a nice piece because of the silver its made out of.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    Part of a planned 50 medal set commemorating Olympic history through the '76 games, issued from 1976-1980.

1977 catalog lists 7 medals(through 1924 Paris), and a mintage of 10,000+ in silver
    1979 catalog lists 26 medals(through 1952 Helsinki), and a mintage of 5382.

Issue price $19.50 each or $975/set.
    Weight not listed. Also issued in gold and Franklin Bronze.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a sidenote, I was listening to a local radio station yesterday which mentioned the three worst collectibles of all time (for "investment" purposes).

1. Cabbage Patch Dolls
    2. Beanie Babies
    3. Anything from either the Franklin or Danbury Mints.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the help everyone!
    I love this place and the wealth of knowledge that everyone is so happy to share. image
    When in doubt, don't.