Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    It's with any coin now unfortunately. Unless I'm buying from a seller I know well and whose judgment I trust I don't even bother with raw coins on ebay anymore.
  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More fake coin on ebay that sold for high price. Hope none of the buyer from this forum.

Text
    Text
    Text
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I know virtually nothing about Chinese coins, but the links I clicked on showed fakes that could certainly fool me.

The counterfeit process, both slab and coin, is improving at an alarming rate. "Can the destruction of the numismatic hobby be very far away," I frequently ask myself. It's likely a few years away yet, but collectors, like professionals in any field, will have to keep up to date on what is happening/changing.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    I'm a big fan of this website:

Dragon Dollar & Chinese Coins

The author knows his stuff about counterfeits, too.

Best wishes,
    Peter Anthony
    Pandacollector.com
  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    Wow...14K for that one example!!

I am still learning all the time.....I have bought 1 "questionable authenticity" dollar. After it came back I still could not see why... still learning!
    And I was out not even close to 14K!
    Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog
  • Options
    LouisCampLouisCamp Posts: 468 ✭✭✭
    An how does eBay respond? By trying to hide where the coin is being sold from. Guess you can sell any fakes as long as eBay gets their fees.

Lou
    lchobbyco
    ANA Life-Member
  • Options
    There has been success in getting fake Canadian coins removed from eBay. Someone else can go into more detail if they want, but my understanding is that a regular collector in Canada contacted the national police force (RCMP), and reported that counterfeit currency (Chinese replicas of Canadian coins) was being sold illegally on eBay. They then contacted eBay, and told them to remove the offending items or risk criminal charges. Now the Canadian collectors forward any suspicious listings to this collector who liaisons with the RCMP. They've gone so far as to have the RCMP conduct some educational sessions at the national shows etc. So, the long and short of it is, that if we want to clean up the hobby, being a squeaky wheel can get the authorities to clean up the problem. A side note is that without the national police being involved, eBay was completely disinterested in doing anything about the issue.