Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1878 S Morgan going for moon money on TT

cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.teletrade.com/coins/lot.asp?auction=2980&lot=2235&nextlot=1&imagetype=j2

$1250 and climbing!

What seems to be so special about this one?
Many happy BST transactions

Comments

  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    It's not going for anything, unless/until it actually sells.image
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no clue. Only a couple of VAM possibilities come to mind that would explain it, and I don't see any of them in those photos.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    I had a 78-S 64 just like it that I tried to sell on the BST Board a while back for $100, matter of fact I had to go check and see if mine had been stolen and cosigned to TeleTrade without my knowledge.
    Mines still in my safe.

    image
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭
    Likely just an unrealistic hidden reserve.
  • Options
    I would be equally curious. I'm not seeing anything to explain the markup. I expected vivid toning or something equally exotic. Maybe a newly discovered VAM... But, it looks like a $55 coin that happened to have gotten in the center of an auction fever frenzy.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    According to the PCGS Price Guide it's a $115 coin, but still...
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 25,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OGH is my guess. However, with the hits just at the corner of her mouth and
    up to her eye I'd say it won't upgrade.
    Not even worth that kind of bucks at 66.

    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even with an unrealistic reserve it still takes a 2nd bidder from smoewhere to get it up to $1200.

    House owned trying to snag a fish?

    roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭


    << <i>Even with an unrealistic reserve it still takes a 2nd bidder from smoewhere to get it up to $1200.

    House owned trying to snag a fish?

    roadrunner >>

    Unless things have changed, not on Teletrade, it doesn't. The bidding is gradually and automatically raised to the reserve, even without any (other) bids being placed. I really dislike that practice.
  • Options
    I would have to guess 2 or more thought it was some rare VAM??
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would have to be an awfully high reserve Mark. image
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Even with an unrealistic reserve it still takes a 2nd bidder from smoewhere to get it up to $1200.

    House owned trying to snag a fish? >>



    image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    I bet somebody typed in 1500. instead of 150.00-----------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭


    << <i>That would have to be an awfully high reserve Mark. image >>

    Agreed - I'm guessing it is a typo on the reserve.
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭✭
    POS
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd ponder sellin this for that kind of scratch.

    image

    image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first thought was "long nock", but I'm not seeing it or anything else...
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with you, Bajjerfan. This PCGS 66 is gorgeous and not worth that price.
    Lance.

    imageimage
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    Hey there's smothing going on here!!! The coin in the auction changed and closed @ $110. When this link was posted the coin was a mottled blue & silver one like I posted, now it's a brilliant one. What the L?
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey there's smothing going on here!!! The coin in the auction changed and closed @ $110. When this link was posted the coin was a mottled blue & silver one like I posted, now it's a brilliant one. What the L?

    Sounds like a data entry problem that got fixed. What's the big deal?
    Andy Lustig

    Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.
    Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    <<< Hey there's smothing going on here!!! The coin in the auction changed and closed @ $110. When this link was posted the coin was a mottled blue & silver one like I posted, now it's a brilliant one. What the L?

    Sounds like a data entry problem that got fixed. What's the big deal? >>>

    Read the thread. We were wondering why a common ugly toned $100 Morgan was bidding @ $1250 is the best way I can explain it. image





    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file