Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My first penny coin baseball game - My Second penny coin machine for this Christmas!

Hi

I know this kind of stuff doesn't get the attention that cards do - but I really enjoy sharing some of this stuff with your guys!

It's a coin operated baseball game - I have some baseball gumball machines - but this is the first pinball type.

Marvel's Pop-up Baseball Game.

Pop in a penny and ya get pin balls that can be trapped by the baseball player that moves back and forth - if caught, the ball is deposited on the left and recorded. This is an auction photo - will take some new ones when I get a chance. I'm not gonna restore it - I like it in its "used" condition.

Also, I picked up this cool 'die-cut' Knickerbocker beer advertising piece - it's two sided and in great condition - I've seen these come up from time to time on ebay - but they're usually creased and stained.

Thanx for viewing and Happy Holidays!!!!
Mike

Comments

• Options
    You have some amazing games, I'm going to have to pick up a coin operated baseball game to add to the collection one of these days.
  • Options
    What a cool addition to your card collection.
    Complete not Graded as of yet
    1962 Topps Baseball Set
    1962 Panel Stamp Set (245)
    62 Empty Wax Box & Wrapper Set

Looking for 1962 Salesmen Samples
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    more great pieces of baseball history, Mike - thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrific memorabilia there, Mike...that penny game looks great! Were they placed in bars or arcades back in the day?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    VERY neat

happy holidays

• Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    Very, very cool.....always wanted something like that. How much did that cost you?
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Nice pickup Mike

I'd love something like that in my living room

how big is it?

• Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    Very cool, thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Hey! What are you doin' opening your Christmas presents already?! Santa ain't gonna like that!! image

You've just gotta share some more pics of your amazing collection, Mike. It's gotta be one of the biggest and most colorful around!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Terrific memorabilia there, Mike...that penny game looks great! Were they placed in bars or arcades back in the day? >>

Thanx! I would say they were counter top type games; possibly arcades or on a counter in a candy store or bar.

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Very, very cool.....always wanted something like that. How much did that cost you? >>

Thanx! 550$.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Nice pickup Mike

I'd love something like that in my living room

how big is it? >>

Thanx!

It's about 18" high.
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanx for all the kind words guys.

I've picked up quite a few board games over the last few months also.

Not too much in the card world - tho I did pick up a T3 that I posted a while back.

My budget is spent - so I haven't bought anything on ebay for almost 2 months.

I won't be buying anything - probably till Feb.

Tho, I did see a really nice Hartland on one of the webs. I'll probably justify it as a birthday prez in Feb.

Everyone have a great holiday season.

I haven't been posting much - my plate is full. I hope to post more in the spring.

I see alot of new faces and am missing a bunch - it's always sad to see people gone.
    Mike
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Love it.

Good for you.
  • Options
    Hi everyone

Well - it's 2 years later and I got a bonus check from work and picked up another arcade style game for Christmas. To say I'm excited about it is an understatement!

Miniature World Champion Baseball Game - pinball - c1931.

First - a little mention of the designer - Howard Peo of Peo Mfg. Co., Rochester, NY who also produced a game called Whirl-Wind.

The Patent: #1,788,323

I had read in one of the auctions that this is one of the "favored" pinballs of this era - being mechanical with no electric component. The original "front" design and coin slot doesn't match the final product - but the main idea is in tact.

The actual manufacturer is a puzzle to me.

Some credit the maker as Peo while others attribute two other companies:

1. Advance Machine Co., Chicago, Ill. Source: Arcade History

2. D. Gottlieb and Company, Chicago, Ill. Source: International Arcade Museum.

It's believed there was a court case involving Gottlieb and Peo - who came to an agreement and Gottlieb proceeded with manufacturing. My problem is that when I went to Gottlieb's history - I couldn't find where they made the game.

Unfortunately, there's no maker stamp anywhere on the pinball game.

The game is simple - hit the "bat" plunger - ball ends up in one of the outcomes.

What's cool? The dials on top to track the scores and the innings and - I will get a closeup later - each base has a little metal player which one can "pull out" to represent the runner - on base!

There's some variations to the game - one where the "1 Cent" is in red and another where on the right (where the "instructions" are located) there's some "charms" inserted to show they're prizes for playing the game.

This is one of the best items I've ever picked up. I'm very happy! image
    Mike
  • Options
    blee1blee1 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭
    Very cool. image
    Skips PSA Exchange
    Successful transactions with: yankeeno7, raiderguy10, Beck6, CDsNuts, DaveP01, Dboneesq, Elemenopeo, gameusedhoop, georgebailey2, Goldlabels, gstarling, justmichael, etc

Working on.........
    Tony Dorsett Master Set
    1977 Topps Mexican FB (raw)
    1957 Topps FB Set (raw or graded)
  • Options
    Great purchase!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing Mike.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Mike- this looks like it could constitute a gaming device under Texas law image
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    That's awesome!!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Mike ... that's another neat looking game.

That first game in the thread would probably look AMAZING restored. I think this calls for an episode of "AMERICAN RESTORATION". Time for you to go to VEGAS and visit Rick Dale at Rick's Restoration!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Thanx for the kind words guys!
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Mike- this looks like it could constitute a gaming device under Texas law image >>

Hiya Al

Thanx! And I think some may have offered prizes with the game - here's some prizes inserted in the area where the instructions are - found the game on the net - back then - a penny was a lot of dough to drop on a game - especially for kids!

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Mike ... that's another neat looking game.

That first game in the thread would probably look AMAZING restored. I think this calls for an episode of "AMERICAN RESTORATION". Time for you to go to VEGAS and visit Rick Dale at Rick's Restoration! >>

Hiya Doug

Thanx! Good point and I'll give my preference when it comes to this particular game.

First - when I received the game - it had 80 yrs. of grime:

imageimage
    Before and After

I had decided I didn't want to "restore" it - I saw one on the net that had been super-polished and thought it looked like a "repro" to me. That's all I did: took it apart - washed it with mild soap - windex the glass - saddle soap to clean the wood - I plan to use basic furniture wax to keep the wood moist. Thus, IMO, I'm maintaining the original age patina of the item.
    I apologize for all the posting but I also wanted to post this followup to the first game I picked up.

I found this ad for the purchase of Marvel's:

Perhaps a way for a guy with a small bar to pick up a few extra bucks? Back then - that was a good amount of money to invest in a trade stimulator.
    Mike
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I had decided I didn't want to "restore" it - I saw one on the net that had been super-polished and thought it looked like a "repro" to me. That's all I did: took it apart - washed it with mild soap - windex the glass - saddle soap to clean the wood - I plan to use basic furniture wax to keep the wood moist. Thus, IMO, I'm maintaining the original age patina of the item. >>

The way it should be done, IMO. Great job, Mike image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice Mike, coolest thing I've seen in awhile. Love your passion for the sports games. Doug
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Mike. I love looking at Americana.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Looks awesome Mike. I like the before and after pictures too. I've got some pennies to play with. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Thanx again guys!

Ya know? If I can't share this here - since my wife doesn't have an appreciation, I'd be sharing it with my cats!

Hi Mike!
    Mike