Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Leathtech - Hall of Fame Players - Post War Rookies Autographs (Updated: 3 new HOF'ers Aaron, Seaver

I thought I'd share my new collecting addiction... It's been just over a year and I'm now right at the half point of the set so I thought I'd share. I've finished just about all the easy guys who sign all the time so now it's on to some of the toughies and expensive rookie cards!

The most challenging part has been finding the right rookie card to have signed… eBay is filled with over priced BIN’s. Normally I try and find a nice mid grade cards with strong eye appeal.

Also I’d like to thank all the members who have sold me cards to have signed… several of you guys should be able to spot your old cards!

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    Love that Murray and that Ripken looks familiar!!

Great collection!!

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely fantabulous! Wow!

I am jealous of the Musial and Carlton!

I could get Phil Roof signed for you on the Niekro rookie. He lives about 15 minutes from me. I've done work for him. (If it was raw, I would be serious, but I know you wouldn't want to do it because it's slabbed.)

Shane

• Options

<< <i>Absolutely fantabulous! Wow!

I could get Phil Roof signed for you on the Niekro rookie. He lives about 15 minutes from me. I've done work for him. (If it was raw, I would be serious, but I know you wouldn't want to do it because it's slabbed.) >>

I might take you up on that... I'll probably update the Niekro rookie to one that's in better shape.
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful Collection. Thanks for sharing
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Jasen, very nice. I've kept an eye on your set for a which now. I am thinking about taking up the same project. You need to get that Whitey Ford replaced with the real thing. Congrats on getting to 50%
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Excellent job.

There are a few guys you may be able to obtain without paying show prices for their autos or buying something already signed.

Killebrew, Cepeda, and Aparicio signed at this year's All-Star FanFest, and may be at next year's too. You may want to buy an older Cepeda signature instead, as his signature has gone downhill lately (for me, he signed a ball O Cepeda and his rookie card Orl Cepeda, and other people got signatures that were sometimes very sloppy).

Sutton may sign c/o the Braves, for whom he's a radio broadcaster (and if you have contacts in Atlanta, he can be obtained for free at Braves games and different public events).

If you're doing managers, Weaver and Williams also do FanFests, and Lasorda signs c/o the Dodgers (and if you have contacts in L.A., he can be obtained for free at different public events).

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options

<< <i>Jasen, very nice. I've kept an eye on your set for a which now. I am thinking about taking up the same project. You need to get that Whitey Ford replaced with the real thing. Congrats on getting to 50% >>

Funny you say that... I just took the risk and sent Ford a 51 Bowman TTM (with $20 donation) just came back signed today - It's already on it's way to PSA with an upgraded Jenkins rookie card - Got Jenkins again today for $10, he was signing @ our local mall.
  • Options

<< <i>Excellent job.

There are a few guys you may be able to obtain without paying show prices for their autos or buying something already signed.

Killebrew, Cepeda, and Aparicio signed at this year's All-Star FanFest, and may be at next year's too. You may want to buy an older Cepeda signature instead, as his signature has gone downhill lately (for me, he signed a ball O Cepeda and his rookie card Orl Cepeda, and other people got signatures that were sometimes very sloppy).

Sutton may sign c/o the Braves, for whom he's a radio broadcaster (and if you have contacts in Atlanta, he can be obtained for free at Braves games and different public events).

If you're doing managers, Weaver and Williams also do FanFests, and Lasorda signs c/o the Dodgers (and if you have contacts in L.A., he can be obtained for free at different public events).

Nick >>

thanks Nick... I just got Cepeda @ a show in NY - it's current at PSA with Schmidt, Kiner, Schoendienst, Yaz, Joe Morgan, and Ernie Banks.

If anyone has a Sutton connection please drop me a PM - he backed out of a recent show image
  • Options
    cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    This collection is amazing!!
    Fergie was by my sisters so you must be on Illinois too.
    Some of the scans aren't showing up for some reason.
    I wanted to ask you...I also have a Ford card & would like it signed. Is $20 enough to usually send him?
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Excellent job.

Nick >>

thanks Nick... I just got Cepeda @ a show in NY - it's current at PSA with Schmidt, Kiner, Schoendienst, Yaz, Joe Morgan, and Ernie Banks.

If anyone has a Sutton connection please drop me a PM - he backed out of a recent show image >>

I thought Sutton was a MAB exclusive?........He was at one point

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This collection is amazing!!
    I wanted to ask you...I also have a Ford card & would like it signed. Is $20 enough to usually send him? >>

I believe that Whitey usually charges $25, but sometimes he will do it for less.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    THAT is an AWESOME looking collection! Keep it update so we can enjoy as well. GOOD LUCK!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>This collection is amazing!!
    I wanted to ask you...I also have a Ford card & would like it signed. Is $20 enough to usually send him? >>

He does sometimes sign for $20 but for the extra $5 it's not worth the risk... Good luck normally he is very fast in terms of turn around (a week or so)
  • Options
    These 3 just popped... can't wait to scan and update the picture list!

1 1 17884265 EXCELLENT 5 1948 BOWMAN 38 RED SCHOENDIENST PSA/DNA CERTIFIED Card US
    2 1 17884266 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1973 TOPPS 615 ROOKIE 3RD BASEMEN PSA/DNA CERTIFIED Card US
    3 1 17884267 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1965 TOPPS 16 JOE MORGAN PSA/DNA CERTIFIED Card US
  • Options
  • Options
    coming home soon...

1 1 17866623 EXCELLENT 5 1954 TOPPS 94 ERNIE BANKS PSA/DNA CERTIFIED Card US
  • Options
    Banks made home today... this is one of my top 5 favorite HOF auto's

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Damn, you have a nice collection.

Thanks for sharing.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome display of HOF rookie auto's. I haven't seen the Kiner, did I miss it?
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    The Banks looks fantastic!! I got that card signed for Leathtech at the Suntimes show and it is one of the best looking PSA 5's I have ever seen. It really has awesome eye appeal.
  • Options
    Updated for: Yaz

I was pumped to be able to add him... but a little dissapointed I could not find a nicer card (I hate over priced BIN's)

• Options
    CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭
    This is a really great collection. I could look at signed rookie cards all day. I love how you constantly update and put them in year order as well. Very well done.
  • Options
    CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Absolutely fantabulous! Wow!

I could get Phil Roof signed for you on the Niekro rookie. He lives about 15 minutes from me. I've done work for him. (If it was raw, I would be serious, but I know you wouldn't want to do it because it's slabbed.) >>

Can I ask where you, or Roof, live? I live in Rochester, NY and he was the manager of the Rochester Redwings for years. Always a great signer, and I have numerous vintage cards signed by him. Always very fan friendly. If I remember correctly, he left baseball to take care of his sick wife (cancer maybe?) around 2005 or 2006? We lost a great manager when he left Rochester. I hope he and his wife are doing well. I never found out how she did with her illness.....
  • Options

<< <i>This is a really great collection. I could look at signed rookie cards all day. I love how you constantly update and put them in year order as well. Very well done. >>

thanks for looking... I hope to have some more updates coming soon!

Cards at PSA - Kiner and Ford
    Scheduled Auto signings in the next few weeks: Gibson, Winfield, Aaron

• Options
    Updated and back from PSA, I'm glad to get some of the older guys checked off the list... The guy that got the Kiner done for me said he is looking all of his age at 88 - said it took him over a minute to sign each auto.

• Options
    Jasen ... AWESOME RESULTS!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    Nice Ford, the card has great eye appeal. Did you send that TTM?
  • Options

<< <i>Nice Ford, the card has great eye appeal. Did you send that TTM? >>

yep, I love a good risk every now and then... he is much cheaper via TTM vs. his show price.

Also thanks to captainthreeputt for the deal on the Ford... saved me from the overpriced BIN's on ebay... the card was a PSA 3 crackout so I'm a little bummed it went down to a 2.
  • Options
    Also thanks to pclpads for the deal on the Kiner... it was also a PSA 3 crackout that has now become a 2.

Both the Kiner and Ford were graded on the old style flips so I wonder if PSA has changed their grading standards in recent years for lower grades.

I can't thank people on these boards enough several of you have really helped me out by selling me your cards for my project. Thanks again to everyone!
  • Options
    pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭
    Jasen - Glad I could help. Kiner presents beautifully. Been anxiously waiting to see it.
    However, I think PSA absolutely screwed you with the grade drop.
    Great luck on all future acquisitions and sigs. Dave
  • Options
    leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    Updates...

• Options
    Nice Blyleven ... like how he filled the card with his sig.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Updates... Winfield, Bunning, Aparico

• Options
    onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    Outstanding............fantastic collection.
  • Options
    AWESOME additions.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    3 more to add... (cross a big one off the list!)