Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Identification Please

Coin came into my store today, and I have no idea what it is. A little help would be greatly appreciated.

Front?

back?

Comments

• Options
    almost certainly a bronze coin of medieval Armenia c. 1200s-1300s, especially judging by the lettering. Besides lettering, these typicallly had a cross design on one side, lion on the other.
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Besides lettering, these typicallly had a cross design on one side, lion on the other >>

Except this one has the "seated King" on the back. He's sitting cross-legged in the style of an Islamic sultan, rather than enthroned like his European and Crusader contemporaries.

The best match for style seems to be a bronze kardez of Hetoum II.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    What an educated group to identify something so esoteric (or is it not?).

Just a few weeks ago, someone else was asking for more information on an Armenian coin they had too.

Its situations such as this that reinforces my theory that coin collecting also educates a person on world history probably better than anything one can get from going K-12th in the USA or even 4 years of college (unless history was the major).
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What an educated group to identify something so esoteric >>

Indeed. But it also just so happens that you lured two of the biggest brains here out of their lairs. There's nothing like the smell of something esoteric to bring 'em around. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.