Home Stamps Forum
Options

Latest Known Use (and illegal)

US #26 used on cover in 1919. Although demonitized during the Civil War, this example went unchallenged.
Comments?

Comments

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Are you saying that the stamp is from the Civil War era, yet used decades later on this specific letter (the year 1919)?

Why was this stamp controversial? Is it a picture of Jefferson Davis?

This is interesting....I want to know more. The USA is one of few nation-states where one can use stamps and currencies as legal tender going back decades and I would venture to guess for over 200 years too.

edit for grammar
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    I'd like it better if it had an "OLD STAMPS NOT RECOGNIZED" handstamp on it, but I don't think that marking was known used out of L.A.

Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are you saying that the stamp is from the Civil War era, yet used decades later on this specific letter (the year 1919)?

This is interesting....I am want to know more. The USA is one of few nation-states where one can use stamps and currencies as legal tender going back decades and I would venture to guess for over 200 years too. >>

That's a 3c 1857 issue stamp, and as such was illegal for use as postage as they were demonitized towards the end of 1861. After the Confederate states split away there was concern, and rightfully so, that remaining stamps held by post offices in disloyal states would be smuggled into the loyal states and sold for a discount in order to raise funds for the war effort. That's why the issue of 1861 came out and why certain 1857-1860 issues, the 90c in particular, are worth more postally used than unused.

Had this been a 3c 1861, it would be unusual, but totally legal (I have seen that stamp used on cover from the 20th century) but this is an illegal use.

Granted, this is almost certainly a philatelic use but after 58 years I'm not surprised that it snuck through.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Are you saying that the stamp is from the Civil War era, yet used decades later on this specific letter (the year 1919)?

This is interesting....I am want to know more. The USA is one of few nation-states where one can use stamps and currencies as legal tender going back decades and I would venture to guess for over 200 years too. >>

That's a 3c 1857 issue stamp, and as such was illegal for use as postage as they were demonitized towards the end of 1861. After the Confederate states split away there was concern, and rightfully so, that remaining stamps held by post offices in disloyal states would be smuggled into the loyal states and sold for a discount in order to raise funds for the war effort. That's why the issue of 1861 came out and why certain 1857-1860 issues, the 90c in particular, are worth more postally used than unused.

Had this been a 3c 1861, it would be unusual, but totally legal (I have seen that stamp used on cover from the 20th century) but this is an illegal use.

Granted, this is almost certainly a philatelic use but after 58 years I'm not surprised that it snuck through. >>

There is nothing about the cover that would suggest philatelic use to me. Perhaps someone found an old ~70 year old stamp and used it for postage. Stamps from the 40-50s are routinely used for postage today.

I wonder if there is a later known use of a demonitized stamp?

For DeutscherGeist: The stamp depicts George Washington.
  • Options
    aj2525raj2525r Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Hello,

Don't mind me, I'm just a guy from the coin forums who wanted to add a comment to this thread.

I was at an estate sale a few months back. I look for coins. I noticed a stamp collection was for sale. I didn't touch it and a guy picked it up and asked if the stamps were still good for postage. The seller (of course!) said yes the stamps could be used for postage.

Looking back, the buyer got a great deal, he probably bought a lot of stamps for well under their postage value.

Next time, I'll be a bit wiser....
    I still call my accumulation my collection!
  • Options
    SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hello,

Don't mind me, I'm just a guy from the coin forums who wanted to add a comment to this thread.

I was at an estate sale a few months back. I look for coins. I noticed a stamp collection was for sale. I didn't touch it and a guy picked it up and asked if the stamps were still good for postage. The seller (of course!) said yes the stamps could be used for postage.

Looking back, the buyer got a great deal, he probably bought a lot of stamps for well under their postage value.

Next time, I'll be a bit wiser.... >>

Hard to believe, but you can buy mounted collections of US stamps for the 40s-present for under face value. Check eBay.

I recently bought such a collection of airmail stamps, complete minus the first issues and zepps, for below face value.

If you enjoy collecting, there are bargains to be had. If you are buying as an investment, I would recommend looking elsewhere.
  • Options
    I believe even on eBay there may be substantial bulk purchase deals to be had. This is from the days when stamp collectors would put many sheets and plate blocks of each US new issue away as an 'investment'. This easily goes back to the 40s. Sort of like coin collectors saving rolls or mint bags of new issue coins.
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    very cool cover!!