Home Sports Talk
Options

Cliff Lee Accepts Late Bid by the Phillies

stevekstevek Posts: 27,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
Cliff Lee Accepts Late Bid by the Phillies

Matt Slocum/Associated Press
Cliff Lee and his agent, Darek Braunecker, weighed offers from the Yankees and Rangers, but made a last-minute decision to sign with the Phillies.

By TYLER KEPNER and MICHAEL S. SCHMIDT
Published: December 14, 2010

All along, the Yankees knew they were fighting the Texas Rangers for Cliff Lee. But they also had a sense of dread, a feeling that a stealth team might steal the latest pitcher of their dreams. They had reason to be worried.

On Baseball: Phillies Come Out of Nowhere in Winning Bid for Lee (December 14, 2010)

Cliff Lee agreed to a deal with the Phillies that was said to be for at least five years and $100 million.
The Philadelphia Phillies agreed to terms late Monday night with Lee, the prized left-hander who pitched for them in the 2009 World Series, according to a baseball official told of the deal. The official, who said he believed the deal was for at least five years and $100 million, was granted anonymity so he could speak freely about a contract that was not finalized.

The Yankees had bid seven years and about $150 million for Lee, who also had a strong offer from the Rangers. But in the end, Lee’s agent, Darek Braunecker, informed the Yankees that Lee was headed to Philadelphia, where he never wanted to leave after a dominant postseason run for the Phillies.

Jon Daniels, the Rangers’ general manager, told MLB.com that Lee had called him to tell him his decision personally. Lee helped the Rangers reach their first World Series in October.

“People rag on players for following that last dollar,” Daniels said. “Cliff didn’t do that. I have a lot of respect for him.”

In returning to Philadelphia, Lee will join a staggering rotation that could rival some of the greatest in history. Lee, a former Cy Young Award winner, will join the two-time winner Roy Halladay, along with Roy Oswalt and Cole Hamels. The Phillies were said to be trying to trade another starter, Joe Blanton, to help fit Lee’s salary into their budget.

Salary concerns were part of the logic behind the Phillies’ notorious trade of Lee to the Seattle Mariners last December. The Phillies, who had acquired Lee from Cleveland for four prospects in July 2009, decided to trade for Halladay, who took a three-year, $60 million contract extension through 2014 as part of his move from Toronto.

As Halladay arrived, Lee departed, sent to Seattle for three prospects, ostensibly to replenish the Phillies’ depleted farm system. But those prospects fizzled, and while Lee prospered with the Mariners, the team fared poorly and dealt him to Texas in July.

The Yankees badly wanted Lee then, offering their top prospect, catcher Jesus Montero, as part of a trade package. But the Mariners leveraged their offer to get more from the Rangers, and the Yankees never did get their man.

In losing out on Lee, the Yankees are spared another long-term commitment to their already swollen payroll. But the fact that they were willing to make such an offer to Lee, who is 32, had a whiff of desperation.

In an interview Monday, before Lee’s decision, General Manager Brian Cashman disputed that idea.

“People think we’re desperate, but I’ve got Sabathia as an ace and a 23-year-old, 18-game winner right behind him,” Cashman said, referring to C. C. Sabathia and Phil Hughes. “That’s a pretty good one-two punch to start the season. It doesn’t mean we’re not going to get someone, but it means we’re not desperate. Cliff Lee is a rare opportunity.”

If he missed out on Lee, Cashman said he was sure something else would come along — maybe before the season but certainly during it, as teams drop from contention. For several years, the Yankees have had the depth in prospects to make almost any deal they want.

But as much potential as pitchers Dellin Betances and Manny Banuelos might have, they have combined for just six career games above Class A. Betances has 299 2/3 career innings in pro ball, Banuelos even fewer. Developing a reliable starter takes many years, as the Yankees have shown with Hughes. Even then it is no sure thing, as they have shown with Joba Chamberlain.

Beyond Sabathia and Hughes, the Yankees have no one else to rely on right now. A. J. Burnett is a $16.5-million-a-year enigma, Ivan Nova has one major league victory, and Sergio Mitre is more suited to spot starting and long relief.

And then there is Andy Pettitte, a free agent who vows to play only for the Yankees, if he plays at all. Pettitte, 38, has not discussed a midseason starting date with the Yankees, as Roger Clemens used to do. He really could retire.

“He is not in play right now,” Cashman said. “He has not put himself in play. We’re moving forward. Right now, he’s leaning toward retirement. He hasn’t officially retired, but if you had to force something, he’d probably say, ‘Don’t count on me.’ That doesn’t mean he’s not going to play.”

There are always lower-tier free agents, like Freddy Garcia and Kevin Millwood, Bruce Chen and Jeremy Bonderman, David Bush and Rodrigo Lopez. The Kansas City Royals are listening to trade offers for their young ace, Zack Greinke, but the Yankees, who closely evaluate a player’s readiness for New York, seem to have no interest.

Lee was their guy, and the Yankees believed he had the stuff, the makeup and the experience to succeed in pinstripes. But, really, Lee was never their guy. He wanted to go back to the Phillies all along, and has taken far less money to do so.

Comments

• Options
    <<< Lee will join a staggering rotation that could rival some of the greatest in history. >>>

In my opinion that's worth a few extra dancing smileys

imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    As usual, a national story that devotes 90% of the space to the Yankees, with only a brief nod to the other team(s). Every single point made regarding the Yankees, with the exception of the Pettite thing, applies to the Rangers as well, but no one reading that article would get to know that.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options

<< <i>As usual, a national story that devotes 90% of the space to the Yankees, with only a brief nod to the other team(s). Every single point made regarding the Yankees, with the exception of the Pettite thing, applies to the Rangers as well, but no one reading that article would get to know that. >>

And they really miss a good chance to drive home the point of the lower contract amount that he took to stay out of NY!
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    The Phillies will have quite a rotation this year. If everyone stays healthy, they should win the division easily. Of course, there is a chance that Howard will not be productive (what on earth were they thinking with that extension)? Even then, they will have enough talent to go all the way. Phillie fans should have a fun summer.
  • Options

<< <i><<< Lee will join a staggering rotation that could rival some of the greatest in history. >>>

In my opinion that's worth a few extra dancing smileys

imageimageimageimageimage >>

And somehow Ryan Howard will get the credit for any World Series appearance, LOL!
    Are you sure about that five minutes!?
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    So, I guess a Phillies/Red Sox WS is almost a given. Should be a pretty crappy summer for baseball fans that don't like either team.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>So, I guess a Phillies/Red Sox WS is almost a given. Should be a pretty crappy summer for baseball fans that don't like either team. >>

Of course, last summer was billed as a lock to be Phillies v. Yankees.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    Glad he's not with the Yankees - sorry he's with the Phils.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    Smart move by Lee.
  • Options

<< <i>The Phillies will have quite a rotation this year. If everyone stays healthy, they should win the division easily. Of course, there is a chance that Howard will not be productive (what on earth were they thinking with that extension)? Even then, they will have enough talent to go all the way. Phillie fans should have a fun summer. >>

Geez - Howard was playing hurt much of last season - cut the guy a break. Besides, most power hitters, even Hall of Famers, can have off seasons even in the middle of their careers.

I think Ryan Howard will bounce back strong in 2011 - just wait and see.

Poor Braves fans...Phillies are dominating the NL East like the Braves used to do. Of course there's always the wild card spot your team can shoot for...then get into the playoffs and ya never know.
  • Options
    Last night while watching the Favre streak-ending interview on SportsCenter, I had no idea what I was about to discover next. What a surprise the Cliff Lee signing is. Fantastic!

The Phils' Big Four of Halladay-Lee-Oswalt-Hamels should rival or potentially surpass the best Big Four of my relatively young lifetime. That was the erstwhile early '90s Braves rotation of Maddux-Glavine-Smoltz-Avery.

It's certainly a good time to be a Philadelphia sports fan! In fact, other than the 2008 World Series Title it's rarely, if ever, felt better. I think even the William Penn statue above City Hall is pumping a fist these days.

Merry Cliffmas!
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think most of us Phils fans didn't know this was in the making, I was totally (and pleasantly) shocked when I heard the news this a.m. Unbe-Lee-vable!

It will be a great rotation for 2011. But the offense has to come through better next year, or the Phils will be losing a lot of 2-1 games.
  • Options
    Though it feels great to land Lee, one must remember - myself included - that this is only a means to an end.

Philadelphians are perhaps the most passionate sports fans in America. It's easy to be enthusiastic. To use the words of another, I'm trying to avoid "irrational exuberance". I hope this Big Four is healthy and productive. We know that injuries happen during a long regular season and that anomalies occur in a short post-season. These "Big Four" horses only represent the potential to get us to the bottom line: the second World Series Championship in less than three years (four seasons).

Though this does feel terrific, a hot free agent signing has never produced a parade down Broad Street.