Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

105 Down--1966 East Hills Pirates Complete in PSA 8 or Better

Set #105 completed is a 25-card gem from the mid-1960s comprised of the 1966 Pittsburgh Pirates. Stores in the East Hills Shopping Center, a large suburban mall outside Pittsburgh, distributed these cards. The set includes Roberto Clemente, Willie Stargell and Bill Mazeroski. Thye cards while not rare are not common in high grade. Certain of my psa 8s are pop 2, my psa 9s are pop1-3 and both psa 10s are pop 1.

My set consists of 2 psa 10s, 6 psa 9s including Clemente and Stargell and 17 psa 8s. The Clemente is a pop 3 in psa 9 while the Stargell is a pop 2. My 8.58 set ranking places it first on the PSA Set Registry. I started this as a raw set and subsequently upgraded many cards in the set from Fuzzdude--a former collector--mainly of 60s football. My last card was a psa 10 Mota that Steve Novella snagged for me on ebay. I will let the set rest at this level.

This represents the 43rd baseball set I have completed in psa 8 or better and 105th overall. Thank you to all the collectors and dealers along the way for helping me achieve my goals.

Jim

Comments

• Options
    cpettimdcpettimd Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    congrats on the set completion. If you have an extra clemente to sell LMK.
    Collecting Clemente master (#6) and basic PSA registry sets, Hank Aaron master and basic sets, Mantle oddball issues, 1970's mega decade HOFs, 1967 Topps pin ups, and high grade Topps Clemente and Aaron. Numerous transactions with over 100 board members.
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Beleieve it or not my raw original Clemente in the set came back a 9.

Thanks and good luck.

Jim
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    congrats, Jim -- fantastic! How many do you think you can complete in 2011?
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations once again. I have a warm spot in my heart for the old Pirate teams as the Columbus Jets were their Triple-A team when I was a kid in the late 50s & early 60s.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Jim , once again , another great effort. ---- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Jim that is incredible. Are you getting any closer in knocking out the 1952 Topps? I can't wait to see that one done.

Regards,
    Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    Marc,

Maybe 10. I am not too good a predictor of completions but here goes:

Baseball 6

1953 Bowman Color(need two)--this would nbe big for me
    1953 Topps(need 11)--see above
    1950 Bowmn(need 2)-Parnell tough
    1955 Red Man(need 1)Runnels
    1964 Topps Stand Up(need 2)Hunt and Woodeshick
    1969 Topps-(need about 75)--with Brian on the case it will probably be my next one.

Football 3

1952 Bowman Small(need 2)--this would be huge
    1963 Topps(need 1) believe Ed Brown a pop 3 in 8.
    1960 Fleer-Woodard(need 1)--the Woodard bound to show up--its a pop 2.

Non-Sport 1

Lets say 1965 McHale's Navy--my favorite TV Show when I was a kid where I need 7 cards.

Ralph,

I agree. I am also trying to finish 1968 KDKA Pirates but that is very tough.

Sonny,

Thanks--love your facebook comments.

Shane,

I am at about 360 in psa 8 or better with a few 7s and the Mantle in 8 oc. I just did a big trade with a major dealer that got me the Hodges and Terwilliger but I don't think I can commit the money to complete this in 8. Maybe I will try to finish thr remainder in 7 as the 45 or so I need are the 45 toughest cards or close to it.

Thanks for asking.

Jim

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Jim
    Do you need the Lou Kretlow? I don't know the number but I think it is #43. A friend of mine just got it graded about 2 months ago. I know it is a low pop but not sure you need it.

SL
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    Shane,

I do have the Kretlow in psa 8. Its one of the tougher first series cards--pop 16 with 1 higher.

Thanks for checking.

Jim
  • Options
    kidzfundkidzfund Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Jim. You're like the Energizer Bunny - you keep going, and going, and...

Joe
  • Options
    Joe--Its been pretty consistent about 10-12 sets a year. I was above this for 2010 as I made a big push to get to 100--probably be below that this year--but I will keep goin and goin and goin for a few more years at least.

Jim
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Jim ... I didn't see this thread until now. Another GREAT achievement in the card collecting world. Keep it up. BTW ... is Fuzzdude still around? He and I had quite a few dealings, especially when I was putting my '68 PSA set together some years ago.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Thanks Doug.

I think Fuzzdude is probably out of card collecting. About 18 months ago he told me he was liquidating his collection and he let me buy what I wanted. I bought a lot--particularly football.

As I remember, he came back again a few weeks later and said he was selling the rest. Too bad--he was a good guy with a good sense of humor and one of the key participants in the football card olympics--then MOSH went under and we never hear from Couldabeena or Art anymore.

Jim
  • Options
    Wow! Just when I was starting to feel good about completing my first set ever! Congrats!
    There are two types of people in this world; those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't. My ex-wife loves him!!
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    always great work!!!

congrats
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Thanks guys.

Fred, I have a bunch of cards that meet your description. Drop me a line on what you need.

Jim