Home PSA Set Registry Forum

I was out of touch on this 1962 Billy Williams PSA 9

I saw that this beautiful 1962 Topps #288 Billy Williams PSA 9 (Ebay #330506628124) was up for auction and made a well below SMR bid on it, thinking I would check in a half-hour or so before it ended. If it was still bid on at or below the SMR listed value of $500, I would bid about $600-$700 and see what happens. It has a pop of 4 so I knew it would be in high demand. So when I check out the auction a half hour or so before it's ending, it is already well above what I was considering. It ends at $2,440, almost five times the SMR listed value. I've got to say, I was clueless when it came to predicting what this card would end at. In fact, I am amazed with the economy being as it is. It just goes to show that high grade, low pop vintage cards have a market all their own.

Comments

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    indeed they do. Also -- SMR is fairly useless.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    People say SMR is useless.

I'm going to change that phrase.

"SMR is dangerous" You could lose your shirt if you don't know your stuff.
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    People that are bidding on that card are not affected by the economy like many of us are. There are some big players collecting this set in high grade.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • I'm usually amazed at the number of people bidding on the high-grade cards in this set. It's been tough -- and expensive! -- finishing this set up in PSA 7 and 8. I do have one 9 just to say I've got one. I subscribed to VCP for a while to get a feel for what I had to bid to get closer to finishing up my set. Once I was down to 10 cards needed, I just kept track in a spreadsheet what VCP had and what auctions (I lost!) were going for. That proved invaluable as I am now down to needing one more card.

<subliminal message> Sell me your PSA 7 #400 Elston Howard to complete my set...</subliminal message>
  • PSARichPSARich Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    Well, I just completed some auctions tonight and a 1962 Bob Scheffing #416 PSA 9 that I put on Ebay went for a little over $60. Needlesss to say, I was expecting more than that for it. So it can be said that you can get PSA 9 1962's for a reasonable amount.
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    The only other 9 sold since '07 also went for $2K+.

$500 in SMR is a joke.
    They seem to pull numbers out of thin air.
    But I don't think PSA cares about the accuracy of the price guide, since it's just a space filler.

• markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    SMR? I have not looked at in years. Any serious collector really needs to subscribe to VCP.
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>SMR? I have not looked at in years. Any serious collector really needs to subscribe to VCP. >>

+1

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    yup. watched it. 4x the value of his PSA Mint 9 ROOKIE card.

the world's gone mad. image
  • I went to a show 4-5 months ago and a guy had some decent '60s vintage cards graded by BVG(Beckett). He was pricing them using the Beckett Vintage Investor or whatever that thing is called(if it's still around). Anyway, I mentioned SMR and then said VCP is the only thing you can go by. He replied by saying "this is the ONLY price guide you can go by" and held up the Graded Card Investor. He seemed a little upset. I let him simmer down and asked him how much for his raw '67 Maris that was Ex-Mt. He said $40 is as low as I can go. I told him I could buy them all day long already graded as PSA 6 for $25-$30 max. He looked at me with his expert eyes and said "Buy all you can"...LOL.