Home U.S. Coin Forum

1857 Large Cent 'small date' question

I purchased this coin this past summer from a Heritage auction:

This coin is an old little white Anacs holder AU-50. Anyways, my question about this coin...could this be a circulated proof? I've owned several 1857 Large and Small date, Large cents over the years...and this one stuck out to me due to the very strong strike on the reverse. All of my previous MS, AU and XF examples had mushy reverses. The obverse leads me to believe it is not since, since 10 of the 13 stars are softly struck...but I'm hoping an expert can chime in. Thanks!

Comments

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm no expert, but I'd have to agree that it's not a proof.....I also think it may be recolored, but that may be from the photo. But otherwise it's certainly an attractive example of a low mintage date.
    Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well struck. I like it! I don't think it's a proof. It almost looks like the same die as the N-3 proof, but the date still looks slightly misplaced with regard to the bottom denticles on your coin. Here's an N-3 for camparison:

• PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    ok guys, thanks for the input! Beautiful coin Matt, I can see what you mean with the date placement on the obverse. Someday when I can accumulate enough coins not in PCGS holders I like, I'll try to cross it...I will post with regards to what they say about the color on it.
  • ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The date placement sure looks very similar...if I were smarter I'd do an overlay.

Is it possible that it was a proof "adjustment" strike or a trial strike, that was just released to circulation?
  • PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    I don't have good enough graphical software to do an overlay like that, just MS Paint...on a side note, I posted this is an AU-50 grade...it's AU-55 according to Anacs.
  • LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

I am not an expert at anything!

Your coin is not a proof ( IMO ) as the tip of the coronet
    has a weak strike and appears to be an N-2. Proof coins
    were struck from N-3 & N-5 dies, which have a good strike
    at the coronet area.
    As was stated, your coin does not have the sharp characteristics
    of a proof coin. Reference Matt's N-3 and
    this registry N-5 example
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I should have stated that the coin I referenced is not mine. I merely researched it through Coinfacts, and found the photo.

I am, however, looking for a nice example, and hope to have the opportunity to purchase one at a less than outlandish price when it comes available image
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is also possible that they re-used the proof reverse die to strike business strikes.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The rev of the OP's coin is different than the rev of the sample proof pictured.
    Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that I don't believe your example is a proof, just a great business strike. Here's another one for comparison. It's fully struck as well.

Charmy Harker
    The Penny Lady®
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm hardly an "expert", but I've never seen a large cent proof with the weakness in the stars and denticles on the obverse to the extent the OP's coin exhibits them. I do not believe it's a proof.

And since we're sharing 1857's, here's a large date with a little red (64 RB):

imageimage

Have fun...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file