Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

New sheriff in town at the pcgs grading room????

OK, So I'm not an expert on all things numismatic......but I did get restarted into collecting because of the statehood quarter series. My registry set (bu strike only) is currently ranked #28 out of however many there are. I haven't been keeping up with it as much as I had in the past - the SF decision by the mint dampened my enthusiasm, as well as the quality of business strike coins.
However, the results of my latest SHQ submission is truly baffling. I sent in a few coins that I needed to fill empty spots, and also some that I have been holding on to as strong candidates to upgrade older dates. Either somebody doesn't like me, or there is a mandate to get some resubmissions and increase revenue!
For those that can view submissions results - I have shared my 4 previous SHQ submission results:
order # 3490095 sub # 20032368
order # 4184180 sub # 20417907
order # 3963358 sub # 20278352
order # 3758284 sub # 20263320

Now, my latest results; again - some of these were coins that I thought had a chance to go MS68!!

order # 4172291 sub # 20456406

Maybe it's just me, but after all these years, and all those quarters, I don't think so.........my last MS64 was a DE-D in May of 2006 - I was trying to put together a complete 1999 set in MS65.
Oh well - a crackin' I will go!

Anybody else notice a tightening of the 'screws' lately?
Don't you know that it's worth
every treasure on Earth
to be young at heart?
And as rich as you are,
it's much better by far,
to be young at heart!

Comments

• ..was , is , and always will be ......... a crap shoot
  • I understand that it all depends on who picks up that box and what they feel like that day, but after all those years of consistency, it just seems awfully strange to get those grades back.
    Try, try again!
    Don't you know that it's worth
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!
  • mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    So much fun,

Coin grading that is image
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Maybe that individual has a hard time grading Washington Quarters?
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe that individual has a hard time grading Washington Quarters? >>

It is "supposed" to be a minimum of two graders agreeing on a grade and a finalizer's approval.

Yes, they are tight.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very tight...
    Been there... Done that...
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

It is "supposed" to be a minimum of two graders agreeing on a grade and a finalizer's approval.

Yes, they are tight. >>

I know Washington's in general are a bit tougher to grade than most other coins.... so why is it that PCGS is so tight on Washie's, Frankie's and SHQ's?
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yes, they are tight. >>

I know Washington's in general are a bit tougher to grade than most other coins.... so why is it that PCGS is so tight on Washie's, Frankie's and SHQ's? >>

IMO, as soon as the dollar amounts begin to rise on a specific series, the screws get tighter on the grading.

It's a piece of cake to get an MS65 on a 1971-S 40% Silver IKE or even an MS64 on a 1972 Type 2.

But try getting an MS65 on a 1972 Type 2 IKE. Better yet, start comparing 1971-S Silver IKEs in MS65 with 1972 Type 2 IKEs in MS65.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yes, they are tight. >>

I know Washington's in general are a bit tougher to grade than most other coins.... so why is it that PCGS is so tight on Washie's, Frankie's and SHQ's? >>

IMO, as soon as the dollar amounts begin to rise on a specific series, the screws get tighter on the grading.

It's a piece of cake to get an MS65 on a 1971-S 40% Silver IKE or even an MS64 on a 1972 Type 2.

But try getting an MS65 on a 1972 Type 2 IKE. Better yet, start comparing 1971-S Silver IKEs in MS65 with 1972 Type 2 IKEs in MS65. >>

That is the problem wtih those whole TPG grading process. All coins should be graded the same. A coin grader has no business considering value jumps to the next grade and then factoring that into his grade. if he does he is not grading the coin correctly.