Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1989 Donruss Curt Schilling #635

This is his best regular issue rookie card from what I know. Because of his seasons in Boston, he may actually have an outside shot at the HOF. The Boston experience changed a lot of people's minds about him. Before Boston, he was an excellent pitcher. After Boston, he tipped the scales into being quite possibly a HOFer.

A terrible PSA 10

The above link is the reason why I always have to look at a PSA 10 before considering it. While with this card, a PSA 10 and PSA 9 really don't have any significant monetary difference, it becomes painful when a PSA 9 is $50 and a PSA 10 $300. A PSA 10 must really look GEM MINT, otherwise, if it is ever regraded, it may be a PSA 9 and you are out significant money.

With a card this overproduced, that PSA 10 I made a link to is really none to be desired.
"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

Comments

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    In before the lock!

Oh wait, this was a legitimate post about Curt Schilling. Carry on! image
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A PSA 10 must really look GEM MINT, otherwise, if it is ever regraded, it may be a PSA 9 and you are out significant money.
    >>

People regrade PSA 10s?
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    mlbfan2,

Let me clarify. Some people might want to do a cross over to BGS GEM MINT, or SGC GEM MINT. Some might crack it open to store in a binder raw because it may seem more enjoyable for that particular collector and after many years, for whatever reason, that card has to be sold and is resubmitted, but only gets a PSA 9 or PSA 8.5, or there may be another grading company out there that grades in more detail, or PSA expands to the 100 point grading system with a different slab. If you try and sell a card in an old slab with a PSA 10, people will then be reluctant to pay top dollar because they will know the standards are different.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

• GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    He's got a better than outside shot, and that's from someone who can't stand the sight of him.
  • i paid $2 for my PSA 9

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • The PSA 10 you mention is from a factory set.
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The PSA 10 you mention is from a factory set. >>

Stop! Why let's facts get in the way of a perfectly good rant?
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    If Bert Blyleven and Tommy John are not in the HOF then there is no way that Curt Schilling belongs....but that's for another thread I guess.
    al.
    $2 for that nice PSA 9?

Excellent buy!!

This issue of Donruss is chipping prone. A factory set might have the best examples. True.

• it's amazing how modern PSA 9's get ZERO hobby love

im not complaining though lol
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • i still can't comprehend how a card is worth negative dollars? (after PSA fees)
  • twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    Same topic different card. How did this card end up in this holder. It has the horrible double print.

Linky
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He's got a better than outside shot,

I agree 100%.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i still can't comprehend how a card is worth negative dollars? (after PSA fees) >>

I also wondered about that, it appears the logic is simply that something in that sub made money for the submitter
    and when averaged out the negatives are made up by the positives.

Or so I have been told.
    Good for you.

• << <i>

<< <i>i still can't comprehend how a card is worth negative dollars? (after PSA fees) >>

I also wondered about that, it appears the logic is simply that something in that sub made money for the submitter
    and when averaged out the negatives are made up by the positives.

Or so I have been told. >>

Or maybe there are dealers who submit tens of thousands of cards and PSA charges them very low grading fees.
    FFStinger,

I think who ever submitted the card was hoping for a PSA 10. They probably submitted many cards and got a PSA 10 on a good number of them except for this. He was playing the numbers game. The rest that did not get a PSA 10 are simply sold to recoup some of the losses since its not like they wanted that card for themselves anyway.

Twiley,

That Ripken card looks nice. The photo is clear at least. I see the double print, or the "bleeding" that you pointed out. No way I would pay PSA 10 prices for that. PSA 9 is fair though. Or do you think it should be a PSA 8?

Hello All,

I am bringing up this old thread again. It seems that Schilling does indeed have a good chance at the HOF. I was just wondering if the card referenced above is indeed his best rookie card. Sometimes its hard to tell because of the multiple rookies available for each player that emerged in the late 80s and early 90s.