Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Some random pics

Though I have no hopes of ever attaining the level of mastery exhibited by so many of you photography maestros, I did make an attempt to climb out of the stone age and bought what I hope to be a decent camera - a Nikon D90. I also bought a macro lens and have been toying with it. It seems the learning curve is steep, and my initial attempts to even get a picture in focus proved futile. So I set up a tripod next to the window ledge and started again. I have had to manually focus, however, at the distance I need to maintain in order to capture anything bigger than a coin (for instance, a slab), and the results aren't stellar. But it's starting to come together, and I have a few random pictures to share with you - enjoy!

imageimageimage
.....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22

Comments

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Thank you sir for the eye candy and very nice pics. If you need any pointers(although I am still learning how to get the lighting right on my coins) please feel free to ask. I presently have a Nikon D700 with three different macro lenses AND a bellows setup which I can attach different lenses to. PM me if you would like some insight! -Dan
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thank you sir for the eye candy and very nice pics. If you need any pointers(although I am still learning how to get the lighting right on my coins). I presently have a Nikon D700 with three different macro lenses AND a bellows setup which I can attach different lenses to. PM me if you would like some insight! -Dan >>

No, thank YOU, Dan! You are one of the ones I dare to try to emulate; your pictures are superb. I no doubt will have lots of questions; as you are aware, the more one learns, the more questions that knowledge begets. At this point I don't even know what to ask....what's a bellows setup? image

I shooting these coins on a window ledge with ambient light (not direct sunlight) from an east-facing window (only practical one at this point, and I only have east and west windows with virtually no access to the west-facing ones). I am completely unable to capture the luster of these coins; the slabbed ones have mirror P/L surfaces. The camera is attached to a tripod, facing downwards with the coins flat on the ledge. Anyway, thank you very much for any advice and I'll be trying to improve the pictures.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    You have a very nice camera body and I am sure that your lens is perfectly adept at taking close-ups of your coins. I do think that you would be very happy with a lighting setup that you can control. Even if it is one that is put together cheaply, you definitely need one that you can control. You can get a cheaper clamp-on light set-up which you can install any type of bulb incandescent or fluorescent. You will only need to manually change the white balance settings accordingly. There are options on the web for professional set-ups, but to be honest with you they are not worth the money, unless you decide that you do not want to do it to make money. Cacheman, a forum member, really puts out some nice photos with a setup which uses hot lights and socks of some sort. He really puts out some nice photos. Just keep in mind, it really is what works with your setup and whatever you are willing to invest. It can be done very cheaply though. -Dan
  • Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    What an unsightly collection of dusty old coins.
    Luckily for you I'm a big Lithuanian softy and would be willing to trade you even, a complete set of shiny new state quarters.
    Wha-da-ya say?

Fantastic coins.
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Nice to see you, Jest. Your coin photography is coming along I see. I don't have a camera yet, but still have that nice modern Polish mint set I got from you in a trade a few years back. Hope all is well on your side of the pond. Give us a shout when you're back in Asia again.

• Options
    So you guys like this latest idea for a giveaway? image Thanks for the kind words, gentlemen!

I tried my hand again today, with similar lighting conditions. I actually tried adding a lamp to the side but it didn't help at all, so I used the same settings as last time, with natural light from the window.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    You captured the cameos perfectly! -Dan
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Great pictures of an even greater collection! Don't think I've ever seen so many 1500s material in one post before!
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

<< <i> >>

Brilliant! Absolutely profound, my friend!!

This type of dazzling astuteness could doubtlessly be topped only by the Dead King. image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    goossengoossen Posts: 492 ✭✭
    Wonderful!
    My coins with pictures: http://www.paraguaycoins.com/
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed the pics! Thanks for sharing.image
    Becky
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice - well done

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    I'm deeply honored by the positive reaction of my friends here not only to my budding photographic skills, but to the coins themselves. These are only a few leftovers from what I used to have, those having been sold to finance other things in my life (family, house, cars, etc). I wish I had had a chance to have them photographed professionally, but alas it didn't happen. Even my poor quality scans of 6-8 years ago of my whole collection have all been lost due to a computer crash a year ago. However, I am no less drawn to coins as time passes. And it's a great privilege to be counted among such a noble group as yourselves! I will continue to try to capture the rest of my meager collection as time passes, and post them here, if there is still interest.

Dan, capturing the cameo effect was purely accidental on my part and is a by-product of the lighting and camera angle, over which I had little control. image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I rarely see lithuanian coins that old......thanks for sharing.image
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Some really nice coins there, jester! You're doing some nice things with that camera.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Vaguely familiar Vilnius coins, eh. image

I see you've added a few select gold coins to the mix, too.
  • Options
    Thanks again for the kind words, gentlemen! I'm slowly gaining a bit of confidence with the camera. I have not had success with auxiliary lighting as yet, but I'll try some more things later on. First I'd like to document the coins.

My dear Mouse, you have a good memory, even at your young age! image These are of course the same Polish medieval coins that your own eyes have been privy to. I also tried to attempt a faint shadow of your Vicky collection since her youthful beauty is undeniable. However, my photography skills are lacking and fail to show the luster, and in any case my attempts would fall far short of your MS-67 minimum grade for collectibility. LOL.

So here are a few more Darkside items (not all of which are officially coins, by the way. image ). Enjoy!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Well, you're the PalladiumJester as well, eh?

I also note (on another thread) you've cornered the Polish silver market.....nice stacks. image
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    !
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Nice image

If you decide to go after it a little more, a copystand is the way to go. Makes getting the coin details really easy, then it's just playing with the lighting and finding something that works.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!