Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How to tell the difference in a raw 1987 topps traded and a 1987 topps traded tiffany?

Both have the glossy finish, better card stock, and brightly colored back. How can one tell the difference between these issues?
collecting Dale Murphy and OPC

Comments

• Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    Tiffanys have the "aqueous" finish. It's almost dripping with gloss.

The regular tradeds don't, they're just "brighter."

Basically, you'd know it was a Tiffany if you had the card in hand, immediately.

ETA: Bama sucks.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    dmurphy3mvpdmurphy3mvp Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    On the back of the card of the regular Topps Traded, there are two asterisks in the border, near the height and weight information. The Tiffany version does not have these asterisks. I believe the presence or lack thereof of the asterisks holds true for all Topps Tiffany cards. Fake glossing these cards in the late 80s when Tiffany cards were on fire was a big deal in Hawaii. You could smell the gloss applied to the card. As a teenager, it was quite funny to see people "sniffing" cards at shows to tell if what they were buying was legit.

Reed Kasaoka
    Buyer, Baseball Card Exchange

cell: (808) 372-1974
    email: ReedBBCE@gmail.com
    eBay stores: bbcexchange, bbcexchange2, bbcexchange3, bbcexchange4

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    The David Cone Rookie pops in my mind from this set.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have quite a few Topps Bonds (11t) and Jackson (50t) from the red n white box 132 card set. Are these worth grading? The prices for these are all over the place, from a few dollars to $1300. Why do some sellers say Traded Tiffany? I thought it was one or the other, traded or tiffany finish?

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

because there is a traded set and a much rarer traded tiffany set. the number of asterisks on the back determine which is which.

• Options

All of mine have two asterisks on the lower left side of the reverse, designating the less desirable version, unless it comes back gem mint 10 in a PSA holder. PSA is at the top of the heap correct?

• Options
    Historicalwood71Historicalwood71 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Sure it's been answered. The Tiffanys have a shiny gloss to them almost like a vivid look. I know, I owned every single most expensive one's ever. And trust me ... All PSA 10s. I've kicked myself for 10 yrs for selling. You name it... I had it in psa 10. Oh well, I Lost them because of hard times. It happens when you collect anything! Yeah, you will notice the glossy finish on the card compared to regular version, which looks dull compared to it.

• Options

@Historicalwood71 said:
    Sure it's been answered. The Tiffanys have a shiny gloss to them almost like a vivid look. I know, I owned every single most expensive one's ever. And trust me ... All PSA 10s. I've kicked myself for 10 yrs for selling. You name it... I had it in psa 10. Oh well, I Lost them because of hard times. It happens when you collect anything! Yeah, you will notice the glossy finish on the card compared to regular version, which looks dull compared to it.

I know I had the 86 Fleer Jordan rookie (#57) as a kid, probably quite a few of them, who knows where they ended up. Sure wish I had them now.

• Options
    Historicalwood71Historicalwood71 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

@morgansforever said:

@Historicalwood71 said:

I know I had the 86 Fleer Jordan rookie (#57) as a kid, probably quite a few of them, who knows where they ended up. Sure wish I had them now.

No kidding 😂. I remember walking into convenience stores and seeing 86 fleer packs by the candy. I actually purchased some... 3 packs lol. Man do I wish I could use Michael J fox's car about now. Never pulled a Jordan, but who knew? Lol