Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

State of 1933 Goudey in today's market

Just slowly getting back into piecing my '33 Goudey HOF set and was curious what others are seeing in the common auction house/ebay market for sale trends (Both graded and raw).

Had a nice run of Goudey auctions end last night and prices seem to be in line with VCP history since 2008, nothings really changed for the graded Goudey stuff as I can tell, demand is still there with plenty of bids.

I'm a meat and potato's kind of guy working on the 1933 Goudey and 1952 Topps, are you seeing any trends between the "big 3" sets and the rest of the vintage?

I'd like to think the card market damage from 2007-2008 until now should be just about done.
I just don't see it getting any worse, at least from the data i've seen.

I love these conversations...
Welcome your thoughts.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

Comments

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I see many many 33 goudeys for sale, it seems like every auction house has a hoard of them. I am surprised to see they have stayed steady, but they have a classic look and a great all around set. I have been working on the 1952 topps and it looks like vg-ex commons have been risen a bit. I used to be able to pick up lots cheaper than I can now, but part of it is being more selective, and not wanting as many duplicates. I sold a majority of my 1955 topps PSA graded 7-8 set a few months back and realized just about 90% of vcp average and didnt use ebay or paypal for a majority of the set. I now have some lower pop commons on ebay (BIN's) that have been moving slowly, but pretty steady at or above vcp averages. To me it seems like t20's are cheaper, but I follow the t205 set. It appears t205s are steady or very slowly increasing, as there are a few hof'er I need to pick up and recent trends show them going for more.

Just my 2 cents
  • Options
    My opinion is that the 33 Goudey's are pricing downwards. Practically every week on ebay there is a near set break with no reserve and prices starting at .99 for grades 1-6. Therefore, right now, you can easily piece together a mid-grade 33 Goudey set for a reasonable price. If you are buying, get the price that you want, don't buy BIN's. If you can't get the card that you want, don't overbid. Wait a couple weeks, and you'll get another shot at the card. The Ruth's are still holding steady as there is still good demand for this card, outside set collectors. If you are selling, don't sell into another seller's set break, i.e., check ebay to see if someone else is doing a set break, so there won't be too much supply at one time. Don't start at .99 as you can get hammered. Don't bother grading raws unless they are very high grade commons or mid to high grade HOFers.
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Supply and Demand

R319s are the 2nd more common of all PreWar cards (T206 #1)

The supply will always be there, and even thought they are in demand, the supply will keep lower-mid grade examples affordable.
  • Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    My two cents......

On 1933 Goudey (common) HOFers in PSA 4-6 Range...prices have changed very little over the last 3 years from what I have seen in eBay auctions.
    Ex: You could pick up a common 5 HOFer for slightly over $100 then and now

1934 Goudey HOFers in PSA 4-6 Range have dropped in price quite a bit over the last 3 years.
    Ex: A PSA 5 HOFer like Manush or Vaughan that used to consistantly bring a little over $100 now might bring $80.
  • Options
    I'm not sure how prices have done. BUT, it is one of my favorite sets from the 1930'S.

Dave
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Way too much supply to support the early 2000's pricing. Last couple of years they have been pretty stagnant in price. You can get deals on about any HOF except for Ruth.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I believe the high grade stuff still does well (PSA 7's and up), as well as the MAJOR, MAJOR stars like Gehrig and Ruth....the lower/mid grade stuff you should wait for auctions, and not hit BIN's like others have said......
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe the high grade stuff still does well (PSA 7's and up), as well as the MAJOR, MAJOR stars like Gehrig and Ruth....the lower/mid grade stuff you should wait for auctions, and not hit BIN's like others have said...... >>

Well, your going to have to wait a long time cause dealers are going to take back control and not sell till they get close to the BIN. chaz
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, your going to have to wait a long time cause dealers are going to take back control and not sell till they get close to the BIN. chaz >>

The BIN should still be reasonable and not set up on the 707 / Yepbg matrix......
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know this thread is old, but I wanted to get opinions on a 1993 Goudey Sport Kings Ty Cobb deal I'm looking at. The card is in PSA 4 and has great eye appeal (decent centering, clean, no marks). The guys wants $800 for it, is that a good price? I saw one go for $760 on ebay recently, but I have no idea if that is market value for this card.

Also is going for the Sport Kings set in PSA 4/5 worth it? I need a new challenge, I've just been sorta floating around collecting lately.
    Mike