Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

NGC and PCGS Registry Competitions

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was curious how many people compete both at NGC and here and can say that they have the best sets between both registries?

Comments

• Options
    Did at one time.
  • Options
    Yes, I'm on both registries, and lead both in two categories. FB/FT Roosies 1946-current and FB/FT Roosies 1965-current.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I have my 1909 Mint Set listed at both PCGS and NGC and it's currently #1 at both. I feel sort of bad about it winning the category at NGC though since it has no NGC coins listed and is all PCGS coins. I only put it over there so I can share my collection with more people and it has had over 1000 views there. I really don't care about being #1 or getting the awards, I just like to show off my hard work in building a set and let others enjoy looking at them as I really like to look at sets on both Registries.
  • Options
    My collection is PCGS-heavy, but I've got a few NGC coins; I post them over there so that I can have my coins registered, though the new PCGS inventory feature makes some of that redundant. (NGC still offers the ability to showcase the coins.)

Given that I'm collecting gold, I don't have the sheer resources necessary to compete for the top spots, so most of my collecting is focused less on winning the competition so much as finishing the race. There's something rewarding about getting that 100%, though so far I've only done it with three to five coin subsets. I tend to concentrate on the PCGS registry, but I do have entries over at the NGC side.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options

<< <i>My collection is PCGS-heavy, but I've got a few NGC coins; I post them over there so that I can have my coins registered, though the new PCGS inventory feature makes some of that redundant. (NGC still offers the ability to showcase the coins.)

Given that I'm collecting gold, I don't have the sheer resources necessary to compete for the top spots, so most of my collecting is focused less on winning the competition so much as finishing the race. There's something rewarding about getting that 100%, though so far I've only done it with three to five coin subsets. I tend to concentrate on the PCGS registry, but I do have entries over at the NGC side. >>

So I guess your answer is no? image
  • Options
    i went to my 1st longbeach in 1976 so ive been aound

i collect beautiful coins NO MATER which plastic it is in......then i put them into the white holders at ngc because they look better than in clear plastic..........and if i ever sold i would fill up a hotel with bidders so im not worried and neither are the smarter ones who do the same

buying only 1 tpg coins is insane and is akin to looking for miss america and only allowing girls east of the mississippi ...that leaves out a whole lot of girls from texas...california....arizona ect....YOU GOTTA ADMIT THAT NUTS

BUY THE COIN NOT THE PLASTIC is my motto

monsterman

ps now take my moniker for example ....would you pass on it??.......nope didnt think so.......
    my goal is to find the monsters and i go where they are but i sometimes miss some.... so if you have any and want to sell IM THE BUYER FOR THEM!!!

out of rockets ...out of bullets...switching to harsh language
  • Options
    oppps make that avatar
    my goal is to find the monsters and i go where they are but i sometimes miss some.... so if you have any and want to sell IM THE BUYER FOR THEM!!!

• Options
    I'll consider coins in other holders, and I buy a number of raw coins. But, until I'm confident in my own grading skills, I'll save major purchases for coins backed by the big two. Based on the grades I'm getting back versus my expectations, I'm getting better. At this point, I'll consider ANACS or ICG coins if they're the coins I find that day, though I'll cross them over to PCGS for the sake of their backing and the Set Registry. Coins graded by weird unknown services, like a Morgan graded MS69 by Numismatic Coin Grading Service, I'll treat as raw and attempt to eyeball a more realistic grade.

So far, with the coins for the sets with which I'm working, it hasn't been an issue, as pretty much all of the ones I find at shows or shops are PCGS or NGC graded. Most of the raw gold or gold in weird holders I see are either below AU or badly cleaned, and thankfully usually priced accordingly.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I have my sets in both. It is much easier to add coins to the PCGS site, so that one is up to date. My stuff at the NGC site always lags behind.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A person should have at least one NGC coin in a set to have it listed ATS. Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of my Liberty $2.50's are PCGS graded. They are registered at PCGS and at NGC. I have some #1 spots at PCGS but I am fourth place or lower at NGC.

The PCGS registry IMO favors "completeness" while the NGC registry rewards high scoring coins.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A person should have at least one NGC coin in a set to have it listed ATS. Just my 2 cents. >>

This set has one. Someone beat me this year.

Linda's Lil Gold Hoard

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭

<< <i>while the NGC registry rewards high scoring coins >>

I agree that NGC rewards "rarity", but I don't see that as a bad thing. It can annoy some people if you have a nearly complete set, (missing 1-2 key coins) and someone with only a 50% complete set (but all the keys in high grade) beats you out. Been there...

I have a few sets (British coins) that are in first ATS, I don't have any sets in the PCGS registry, quite a lot of my coins are in NGC holders and I won't pay to play the cross over game.
  • Options
    I just renewed my NGC membership. First year as I guess.... a serious collector? ......even though I have had a "serious" collection of Lincolns for decades, just never had the time to join all the various groups. I should add that I also made my first certification submission to them. Mostly because I have a bunch of coins that would come back as genuine from PCGS. I wanted their detail grading and verification of my authentication at the same time.

Not sure about adding my PCGS coins to their registry, might as well. I do like their website better as far from a GUI perspective.
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Monsterman - Where are the Best Girls ?

East or West of the Mississippi ?

Fuhgeddabout da coins, let's talk girls !

Stewart
  • Options
    >>>>>>Monsterman - Where are the Best Girls ?

East or West of the Mississippi ?

Fuhgeddabout da coins, let's talk girls !

>>>>>>>>>>>>

stewart

you sly dog you.....

im looking for a standing lib q with full breasts and monster color...got nay in your inventory ???

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't play across the street.

I will buy coins in other holders if I like the coin and feel it will cross at the grade I feel it is and at the right cost level.

Everything in my collection will end up in PCGS or it's gone!
  • Options
    >>>Everything in my collection will end up in PCGS or it's gone!
    >>>

lol me too...........Everything in my collection will end up in NGC or it's gone and i....like you .... have had to dump a few too as NGC wouldnt cross them

• Options

<< <i>Coins graded by weird unknown services, like a Morgan graded MS69 by Numismatic Coin Grading Service, I'll treat as raw and attempt to eyeball a more realistic grade. >>

You're a brave soul; those "slabs" provide ample opportunity to conceal problems. They're more risky than a raw coin in my book; they likely have a higher incidence of coin doctoring, serving as a red flag for me.
  • Options
    I use to play ATS but then i saw they gave away points for pics and comments and it killed the idea
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neither can claim that rarity is appropriately recognized...

Sorry to have to say that but it is what it is...

I am prepared to argue the point if required- however, it is more a World Coin thing

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    I have a few sets in both registries. However, my registry sets (nothing spectacular, a few modern sets, ranked #1 here) will soon be exclusively here. I can't understand how a COMPLETE set can NOT be #1 ATS, when the #1 set has 50% of the set completed, and the complete set has to settle for #2. Yes, I understand the point system there, but a set should not be able to claim #1 unless it's complete. The specific sets are mint modern mint sets, that have 10 coins in them.....only 10 coins, and a set with 4 coins gets the #1.

ALL my coins in the sets are PCGS. I refuse to pay up the a$$ for coins graded ATS that, more than likely, would grade a point lower here (yes, I know SOMETIMES they'll cross at grade, and there ARE solid coins in non-PCGS holders), but extra points that our hosts coins CAN'T get, like the point bonus for 6 steps on the Jeffs, put PCGS coins at a distinct disadvantage (ironic that the policy ATS NOW is 'only cross PCGS coins in the holder.....every other coin MUST be cracked and sent in raw......not accepting ANACS or ICG coins in the holder for cross-over? whats up with that? Is it of the opinion of those ATS that there are only 2 REAL players in the game??). Then, take the Washie series. For modern coins, there are ALOT more graded MS67 ATS than there are in our hosts holders. I can't imagine there are that many more being submitted ATS...if there ARE, could it be because they are a bit looser grading the series??? I'm not really a Kool-Aid drinker, but I've sent in a number of Washies for grading, in the holder, AND raw, and I have never had one cross at grade, and there were a number that I thought SHOULD have. I know others have gotten coins to cross at same grade, and even gotten a bump, but those coins are few and far between, but my experience, I'm 0-fer. The only real dealer in top pops (on ebay), his prices are just so high, he has a 'Best Offer', but leaves virtually no wiggle room......

Yes, a set has more points, but should not be allowed to claim #1 unless it's complete. Hell, in some sets, just ONE coin from ATS could beat out a COMPLETE set from our hosts. Isn't the goal to build a complete set? It might sound like sour grapes, but when you own a #1 set, and it gets bumped to #2 by a set that's less than 50% complete because #2 upgrades an existing coin, there's a fundamental flaw in the system. Hypothetical situation, can you imagine the 'egg in the face' our hosts would feel if a coin from ATS dictated the diference between a #1 and #2 set, simply because a Jeff is graded as 6 steps? Each grading company should just allow their own coins exclusively in their sets. Complete/100% PCGS sets don't stand a chance ATS.
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I use to play ATS but then i saw they gave away points for pics and comments and it killed the idea >>

They dont give away point for the above, but use photos and comments as tie breakers. In the event that two sets are identical the one with the most photos and descriptions wins. Makes sense to me.
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have my sets in both. It is much easier to add coins to the PCGS site, so that one is up to date. My stuff at the NGC site always lags behind. >>

(and I also have ONE NGC coin, pedigreed to Ken Bressett)
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    I am only in the NGC as they recognize both services. No #1's though

Monsterman toning and full breasts, they are covered though image