Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Low quality photos on CoinFacts

RYKRYK Posts: 35,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
I believe that PCGS is hurting the product by including lower quality photos on the site:

I prefer the uniform and high quality of a TrueView, or, frankly, a uniform high quality of a similar style. I think a hodgepodge of techniques and looks makes the product look less professional. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    There are a lot of interesting, significant, rare, and important coins out there - somewhere - that it will be impossible to True View (or otherwise obtain a similar quality image).

I would say that while ideally the photography would be consistent, that's just not practical, and it is IMO much better to include varied images of significant items rather than omit them altogether.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea what you are referring to since every photo I've seen is Trueview quality.

Maybe those MS64 actually Look that way.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RYK:

Still better than my photos!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

<< <i>There are a lot of interesting, significant, rare, and important coins out there - somewhere - that it will be impossible to True View (or otherwise obtain a similar quality image).

I would say that while ideally the photography would be consistent, that's just not practical, and it is IMO much better to include varied images of significant items rather than omit them altogether. >>

I agree, but I think that they should be able to get some decent photos of a 1904 $20.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>There are a lot of interesting, significant, rare, and important coins out there - somewhere - that it will be impossible to True View (or otherwise obtain a similar quality image).

I would say that while ideally the photography would be consistent, that's just not practical, and it is IMO much better to include varied images of significant items rather than omit them altogether. >>

I agree, but I think that they should be able to get some decent photos of a 1904 $20. >>

I cannot argue with that.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Maybe no newbie dork ever sent in a low grade 04 Lib for grading so they took the pic from e-bay?-----------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe no newbie dork ever sent in a low grade 04 Lib for grading so they took the pic from e-bay?-----------------------BigE >>

Check out this one--I think it is very cool:

• Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    A POOR gold coinimage--------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options

<< <i>A POOR gold coinimage--------------BigE >>

It's actually an AG-3--probably wouldn't sticker. image
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received an email that is related and might be their way to address this.

"Now you can be a contributor to this informative website. CoinFacts is looking for one image of each of the finest ten graded examples of each date and variety. It doesn’t matter if you are collecting the classics or modern issues, all U.S. coins are eligible. If your coin ranks in the top ten and you submit a high quality image, your coin will be listed in the Condition Census along with your name (or, if you prefer, your collection’s name). Your coin will become a historical reference in CoinFacts and be recognized as the best top ten. In the case of ties for Condition Census, coins will be acknowledged in the order they are received. For example, if the top grades for a date are three PCGS MS67s, six MS66s and 23 MS65s, CoinFacts will Condition Census all the 67s, all the 66s, and the first 65 that comes in.

If you feel you have a coin that qualifies and it already has a PCGS TrueView image, please email PCGS CoinFacts President, Ron Guth rguth@collectors.com with the certification number.

If your coin does not have a TrueView image, please submit your coin for photography and, if it is a Condition Census candidate, we will take a TrueView photo and reholder your coin in a PCGS Secure Plus holder for only $20 (a $20 savings). Or you can submit your coin for Regrading through Secure Plus and we will throw in a TrueView photo (a savings of $20). Your coin will then take its place of recognition as a member of the PCGS CoinFacts Condition Census. The TrueView photograph will of course also be available to you. To take advantage of this offer, simply complete your submission form as usual and write "Condition Census Offer" in the "Other" box at the top of the submission form. If you have any questions call PCGS Customer Service at 800-447-8848."

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    I've looked at hundreds of images on Coinfacts & most are acceptable.
    As long as the image is good enough to see details it's fine. What I really
    want is a number of images in different grades, the more the better &
    more representative variety images to compare. It is frustrating to pay
    membership fees & not be able to see examples you are interested in.

Even if some of the photos are not as good, it is a work in progress and
    will take time to offer every image at top quality.

Another irritant is having to sign in so often when moving through their
    system.
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I agree, but I think that they should be able to get some decent photos of a 1904 $20. >>

PCGS can use this one. I bought it 9 years ago for $470. Old photos...I can do better.
    Lance.

imageimage
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a nice-looking coin.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file