Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Any one in Groups on Yahoo for Coins ??

And how has your experience been ?

I'm in 7-8 groups with very mixed results.
Guess measured up to this site they all fail in comparison .

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a result of one of the early Philippine Collectors Forums, I started a Philippine Numismatics Yahoo Group maybe 8 years ago. Had 20-30 members at peak, but essentially no discussion. Once the spammers started joining, I reluctantly made it moderated. Then one of our Philippine members decided he would post monthly Manila stamp club meeting notices. After several announcements, I informed the members that I would close it down due to inactivity. Nobody even responded/cared/noticed.

I am also moderator of the US-Mexican Numismatic Association Yahoo Group. It hasn't had traffic in 5+ years.

In my opinion, Yahoo Groups is a wasteland. (And if I may add a personal note, Yahoo destroyed egroups.com when they bought them and turned it into Yahoo Groups.)
  • Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭
    First let me say that I can't stand the Yahoo Groups format. I don't want all the email and the online Message List functions are limited. For example you can't post pictures in the thread. And people don't cut out all the previous quoted email. So one post can be many pages of quoted email to scroll through.

A regular forum format is much more prefered and I'm sure would attract more members.

But I can't ignore the informative posts often made in these forums which I therefore check regularly -

CoinForgeryDiscussionList - For exchanging ideas and information about Coin Forgeries and Alterations
    Moneta-L - This list is dedicated to the joys of ancient coin collecting.
    islamic_coins - Islamic Coins Group
    Ancient_Chinese_Coins - A forum for the discussion and trading of Chinese Coins Pre-1800 AD

And another half dozen history groups.

But IMO Yahoo Groups is an antiquated format that needs to die. I wish the above groups would move to a regular forum format. I would definitely donate to make it happen.
    I collect history in the form of coins.