Home U.S. Coin Forum

Old ANACS Slabs

I recently purchased a few ANACS slabbed Morgans on BST and it's the first time I noticed that old ANACS slabs came in two different sizes. The smaller one is about 1/8" less tall/wide.

Any idea when this change was made? How old these slabs might be?

imageimage

Comments

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never noticed a size difference.
    I just wish they were still like these.......
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smaller ones are older as I recall.
    Others will chime in.
    I love the old holders.
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    I think this change occurred in the 1990's. The white insert stayed the same, but the outer shells were
    larger. It was probably done to increase the "weld" area when the shells were sonically sealed.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i wish theyd leave it alone and stick with one for a while.
  • jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    Please bring back the small old white holders - they are so much better than the crud they have now. I could see myself using ANACS again if they went that route; but as it stands right now I dont send to ANACS, only to NGC and PCGS.
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first slabbed coin was a small ANACS white with an MS-60 1909 SVDB in it. I promptly cracked it out and put that baby in my Dansco to complete the raw set. For those few weeks while it was all together and raw, I was the proudest coin collector in the world.

Later, after the buzz wore off, I started in earnest trying to put together the same set all in high MS, and went PCGS all the way. When I replaced the SVDB, I sent it in to PCGS for a holder. It came back AU-50 image I took my first real loss on that coin. At least at the time it seemed real. About $250.
  • Thanks for the comments and link. I had never noticed the slight size difference between these "baby" slabs and appreciate the input.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The size was increased after an article, possibly by Weimar White, about the gas-permeability of slabs was run in CW. PCGS, NGC, and ANACS slabs of the day were "gassed" to see which protected the coins the best, and the small ANACS slabs came in last.
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that the even older ANACS slabs....the blue colored font ANA slabs......I think that those are even smaller by a smidge.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file