Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

A few random grades in, Brits and German States PICS added

A pretty random group, the only disappointment was the 1819 Shilling, i really did not see any wear before I sent it in. The 1911 and 13 pennies were from Colin Cooke and graded as I expected. The two German pieces are probably really uncirculated, but both had enough weakness I was sure they would both go AU55-58 so a little good news on the 1764. The farthing was just laying around, don't even remember when or how I got it, the proof halfpenny was my best deal, at the local show a month or two ago it was in a dealers foreign junk box in a 2x2 for $2 unattributed as a proof.

001 1819 G.BRITAIN 1S AU 58 - Yikes, I certainly did not see any wear - bought raw from ebay.uk
002 1919 G.BRITAIN 1/4P MS 63 RB - who knows why, although I didn't look at this much just threw it in
003 1937 G.BRITAIN 1/2P PF 65 RB - as expected - raw from a local dealer junk box
004 1911 G.BRITAIN PENNY MS 64 BN - as expected - from Colin Cooke
005 1913 G.BRITAIN PENNY MS 65 RB - as expected - from Colin Cook
006 1636 GERMANY REGENSBURG FR-2310 SILVER 2D AU 58 - as expected - raw from a local dealer
007 1764 GERMANY FRANKFURT KM-PN35 SILVER 1.5D MS 62 - better than expected, thought it was AU58 - from same dealer

Comments

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff, sorry to hear about the '19 shilling - have you good pics? Will see how my own submission turns out...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice Jeff. I'd love to see the german state pieces when you get around to imaging them.
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    $2 for a 1937 unattributed PR65 RB. image

I'm puzzled by the 1911 penny grade, how can one expect a 64BN and then a 65RB on the 1913? How were they graded raw?

Very nice overall. Are these NGC or PCGS?
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not bad. What do you do with coins that did not meet the grade? Do you keep or sell in general?
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting group- decent results- timing of submission in terms of days? Just curious as to World Submissions

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Three weeks for grading, just shipped back today so I have not recieved them, all NGC.

Both pennies were described as Uncirculated, the 1913 with luster. He had pretty decent pics of both, and the 1911 had just a few more ticks on the obverse portrait so I expected it to go 64. The 1913 looked very nice, but I knew it did not have the pop it needed to make 66.

I have pics of some of these;

1911 Penny

1913 Penny

1636 Regensburg 2 Ducat (silver)- Election of Ferdinand III as King of the Romans, he was also King of Bohemia, King of Hungary and Croatia and Archduke of Austria.

1764 Frankfurt 1 1/2 Ducat (silver) - Election of Joseph II as King of the Romans, one of the leading proponents of "enlightened absolutism".

• HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Nice coins and grades Jeff. Are you working on a Penny date set? and What kind of German set are you building?
    Thanks Huss, yes on the pennies I am working towards a date set of 20th C. I've finished the Edward VII pennies (although I need to upgrade a couple of them), now working on George V. I also have a type set from Geo. IV to present and need only the 1863 with die number, which is proving difficult to find. The German States pieces have no theme, they just go in to my "isn't that a pretty coin" collection.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty good overall results.

Congrats......at least nothing details or genuine.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

The 1863 1d with die numbers is a major rarity and seldom come on the market.

NGC should take that one out of the type set- I really doubt they appreciate the rarity- I suspect there are likely less then 10-12 of each die number that remain- and I suspect the real experts across the pond would suggest that 10-12 of each is wishful thinking on my part

Coinkat, I've talked to quite a few of the dealers in the UK and as you suspect many of them think there are even less than 10-12 of each die number.
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    I agree. The 1863 with a die number really shouldn't be a type. [sarcasm]Why not include coins with numbered strikings while we are at it (20 known, more than half in the British Museum)?[/sarcasm]
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just can not get excited over die numbers, be they on gold, silver or copper. Rare, IMO, who cares? The only thing worse are the "rarities" with tonnage figures scratched on the coin....
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
    Wybrit, I have sent them a long request to either delete the coin from the set, or alternatively increase the point value by a whole bunch. We'll see if they respond.

I can't believe an hour after I sent the score correction request in I got this:

Jeff,
    I looked into this and I think you make a valid point. I have removed that slot from the Penny Type Set.
    Thanks,

Max

So kudos, now I can be 100% this year.
    I think it is highly likely that it will be removed- it may take longer than we think

Nope, it's already out, I just went and checked the set.
    Wow... now that is impressive

• wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    The only thing worse are the "rarities" with tonnage figures scratched on the coin....

That is what I was referring to.

Congrats on the 100%, JMC. Nice folks ATS, they do respond to requests quite rapidly.

I will talk to them about getting rid of the 1860 copper halfpenny from their Vicky date set. All of those extant are suspected to be proof, so the pieces shouldn't be in a business strike set.

As for the 1860 copper farthing, there are only seven examples suspected to exist, including proofs. I'll probably be poor, planted or both before I can get one of those. Maybe that one should be taken out as well...
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.