Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

question about high dollar raw card

Why wouldnt this seller have a card like this graded? If its so nice as it is advertised?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190473459114&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Comments

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    even a moderately decent scan of the card reverse should tell you all you need to know.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    This right here should tell you all you need to know.....

Seller info
    Member id great_lakes_auction_house ( Feedback Score Of 5408

They have a history of buying nice looking lower grade cards and breaking them out......like Waverly, they make more raw than the cards sell for graded......don't bid expecting much.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>This right here should tell you all you need to know.....

Seller info
    Member id great_lakes_auction_house ( Feedback Score Of 5408

They have a history of buying nice looking lower grade cards and breaking them out......like Waverly, they make more raw than the cards sell for graded......don't bid expecting much. >>

I've let about 100 low grade PSA cards go that I knew I could crack and sell raw for more money.

Sellers who do this suck.
  • Options
    "Pack-Fresh" huh? Age stain on the back probably left this card with a ST qualifier before crack out.
  • Options
    blame the gun, not the shooter.

blame the pack, not the cracker.
  • Options

<< <i>"Pack-Fresh" huh? Age stain on the back probably left this card with a ST qualifier before crack out. >>

I'm not an expert when it comes to 54 aaron's but isnt the discoloring on the back common with this issue?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>"Pack-Fresh" huh? Age stain on the back probably left this card with a ST qualifier before crack out. >>

I'm not an expert when it comes to 54 aaron's but isnt the discoloring on the back common with this issue? >>

doesn't matter....it's a feature that warrants consideration when assigning a grade.....it's what separates good cards from great cards.

but only a psychotic, basement-dwelling, OCD collector would truly understand. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'm not an expert when it comes to 54 aaron's but isnt the discoloring on the back common with this issue? >>

doesn't matter....it's a feature that warrants consideration when assigning a grade.....it's what separates good cards from great cards.

but only a psychotic, basement-dwelling, OCD collector would truly understand. image >>

Ive seen PSA 7's and 8's with discoloring on the back, but not as bad as the card this guy is selling.
  • Options
    there you go again, answering your own questions. image
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    It's a very nice looking card.

The way the stains on the back look, it seems like this card may have been in one of those old sticky photo album pages for years.

If someone has a VCP account, it might be worth it to check out the scans of any ST qualifiered Aaron RCs and see if this is one of them.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    With the title I was expecting a Zeenut DiMaggio, M101-4 Ruth or something similar image

This very common 1954 card looks fairly nice overall, and to have been removed from an old photo album.

The buyer/bidder needs to judge the card on its own, and buy the card on this fact alone........ not daydream on the fact that he can score on a flip when he slabs it in the future.

Not all collectors LIKE card graders. I have cracked out hundreds of cards myself, but not to resell, mainly so they fit better within my collection or display. But I also avoid slabbed cards if I have a choice. Raw is the way to go IMO, but a newbie may want to stick with slabbed.... or often get burnt by altered cards.

PS. The guys that only buy PSA-9/PSA-10 are overpaying IMO, and I'll always feel that way.
  • Options
    That staining on the back looks like foxing.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Sellers who do this suck. >>

I disagree. Grading is only an opinion. There are some collectors who like the raw stuff better. Some may just be taking the chance of making money grading the card. It's all a gamble. The crackout game is a tricky one...sometimes you can make money and sometimes you can lose your shirt.

But anyone who is cracking a card and selling it raw, as long as they are honest with the description and the card flaws then I dont see a problem. Let the bidders decide what it's worth.

Unlike the case of Waverly, there appears to be questions of altering. That is a whole different ballgame.
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    This is why I swear by purchasing mid even low grade PSA vintage with great eye appeal.

It's absolutely the safest and dollar stretching way to build a collection.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is why I swear by purchasing mid even low grade PSA vintage with great eye appeal.

It's absolutely the safest and dollar stretching way to build a collection. >>

I totally agree! I have some GREAT cards that appear like 8's or better that are in 5 and 6 holders.
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why wouldnt this seller have a card like this graded? If its so nice as it is advertised?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190473459114&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT >>

because they know something about the card that you (we) don't. they're well known in the hobby to crack out graded cards, tout the description as higher than it actually graded, and make the spread.

I have that same card in a PSA 7, and it does not have the staining on the reverse, so I would bet that's the key weakness of the card.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>This is why I swear by purchasing mid even low grade PSA vintage with great eye appeal.

I totally agree! I have some GREAT cards that appear like 8's or better that are in 5 and 6 holders. >>

Crack 'em and advertise them as NM-MT + to MINT and do not disclose to the buyer why they were in a PSA 5 or 6 holder.

It's up to the buyer to educate themselves, right?

And if you have PSA 5 or 6s that appear to look like 8s or better, you should not sell them because the buyer could crack them out and sell them as NM-MT + to MINT.

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    <sigh>

• Options

<< <i>link >>

Wow. I cant believe someone bid that high?
  • Options
    Doesn't look like a shill either... one guy tried to snipe with 10 seconds to go, then someone else came along and sniped with exactly 1 second left for the win.

I actually got in a bid the other day with 0 seconds remaining, but I don't use a snipe tool. I do it all myself.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I totally agree! I have some GREAT cards that appear like 8's or better that are in 5 and 6 holders. >>

Crack 'em and advertise them as NM-MT + to MINT and do not disclose to the buyer why they were in a PSA 5 or 6 holder.

It's up to the buyer to educate themselves, right?

And if you have PSA 5 or 6s that appear to look like 8s or better, you should not sell them because the buyer could crack them out and sell them as NM-MT + to MINT.

image >>

LMFAO

I literally have no ass now.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I didn't read all the replies but in the items specifics it claims it may have a pin hole, toning on the back
    generally does not warrant an ST qualifier. Wax will.

Condition:
    Acceptable: An item with obvious and significant wear but is still operational. May have tears or holes in
    Good for you.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    When this thread first came up, I emailed the seller asking him if the card had ever previously been professionally graded. The seller never responded.

Did anyone do a VCP image search?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25