Home Sports Talk
Options

Off Topic: old school BMX collecting

I'm new to this forum, but not new to card collecting. I'm getting my feet wet again after taking a 20+ year break.

In the 'in-between' time, I eventually found myself interested in another hobby/activity from my childhood - BMX racing. My brother and I raced our bikes from 1980 until 1984 and those were probably the very best years of my youth. I love bikes and I've loved collecting old school BMX bikes for the past 8 years. It's similar to card collecting in the nostalgic feelings it provides. It's good fun, interesting, frustrating, difficult and rewarding. I know there is at least one other person on these boards who collects Old school BMX too...

As an ice-breaker, I thought I would post up some pics of bikes I have and drop the hint that if you are looking for cash to make card purchases and you have any old 1970's/1980's BMX bikes/parts laying around - I'd be interested. If not, no big deal....have a look:

1984 Race Tech

1994 S & M Menstrual Cycle

1981 Hutch X-Long Pro

1977 DG Steve Skibel Replica

1983 Robinson Pro

1979 Mongoose motomag

1975 Schwinn Scrambler

1984 Hutch Lil Holeshot

1983 Hutch Pro Racer

1979 JMC Long Standard

South of Heaven...North of Canada

Comments

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I think my Schwin Scrambler was about a '74 or '75. I think it came with a banana seat and I later changed it to a small seat during the process of everything getting upgraded... that is until it got stolen. Arghhhhhh.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Almost thirty years later and I'm still jealous of the guy with the Mongoose. Neat collection.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No PK Ripper or Quad Angle? You need a Kuwahara or Redline too!

Sweet bikes. Love those crappy Mongoose rims. image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I turned 25 I started Mountain Biking really seriously...I couldn't let go of the fact that I wanted a Diamondback BMX when I was a kid...so I bought one!

• Options
    PK Ripper? No, never had one of those. Never liked the name.

1983 SE Racing Quadangle? "check"

1981 Kuwahara KZ-1 "check"

1984 Redline PL-24 Cruiser? "check" (this is my current rider, so the seat, grips and tires are not era-correct for 1984)

How about a 1983 GT Pro?
  • Options
    xbaggypantsxbaggypants Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭

Is this yours?

Man I would love to have that, use to have one when I was a kid. ANy idea what it is worth?
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the back of a jacket I wear. My oldest boy was on this team for awhile back in the late 80's and early 90's. The kid was one hell of a BMX racer and won the state championship for his age group 3 or 4 times. After getting out of high school he raced for a couple of more years and then had to go earn money to live on.

Ken
  • Options
    xbaggypants = that Kuwahara was sold about 2-3 years ago. To buy one very similar to that, with all era correct parts from 1981, you should expect to pay $1,000 to $1,500

Ken (Fairlaneman) = I'm friends with another collector from Eugene, OR named Dani Renes. She's a very nice lady. Did that BMX track close down about 3 years ago?
  • Options
    UllrUllr Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    WOW Sweet bikes - love the red Hutch. I raced from 1979-83. My parents made me get a job at McDonald's when I turned 16 to help pay for BMX. I soon saved enough for a 1984 KX 125 and that was the end of BMX. I still search Ebay for old school BMX once in a while. I had a 1980 candy apple blue Team Mongoose that was beautiful - don't know what I'd do if one appeared on Ebay. Try a search for Oakley B1B grips image
    collecting '67 & '75 red sox + baseball HOF autographs
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>xbaggypants = that Kuwahara was sold about 2-3 years ago. To buy one very similar to that, with all era correct parts from 1981, you should expect to pay $1,000 to $1,500

Ken (Fairlaneman) = I'm friends with another collector from Eugene, OR named Dani Renes. She's a very nice lady. Did that BMX track close down about 3 years ago? >>

I think the track was real close to Autzen Stadium and with all of the expansion that has happened there I am sure the track is gone. Actually my wife took Keith around to all of his races except Sacramento and Reno. When she gets home I will ask her where the track was exactly.

Its a little funny with the two boys. One raced the other did not. The one that did not race is always looking for older BMX bikes now.

Ken
  • Options
    yea...just like cards, the stuff can be extremely pricey, though.

a set of Cook Brothers pedals ended on Ebay last week for over $2,100.00
  • Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭
    I think vintage skateboard stuff is the same...prices are crazy for some of the older stuff. A while ago I looked up Gull-Wing split axle trucks on Ebay a few months ago (I had TWO sets in the late 70's) and I think the set on Ebay went for over $700!!
  • Options
    curchcurch Posts: 590 ✭✭✭
    I had this bike but in white. I got the pic from ebay. I sold it for $300.00 and Jordan cards from 87, 88 and 89. Ironic image I would love to get the bike back now. Cool thread.

Always looking for vintage wax boxes!
  • Options
    lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    Cool thread. Does anyone know where I can get a seat for a 79-80 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36? I just got my old bike back from my friends brother who has had it since the mid 80's. Thanks in advance if anyone can help.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Wow. What a throwback. I never raced, but as a kid of the early '80's (born in '72) I remember how bikes were a VERY big deal. In my neighborhood we had three rules:

1) No Huffy bikes.
    2) Do whatever needs to be done to raise the $150 or so you needed to buy a decent used Mongoose.
    3) Spend the Christmas season trying to get mom to buy you a brand new Redline or Roger DeCoster.

Great times, those. I still miss them.
  • Options

<< <i>I had this bike but in white. I got the pic from ebay. I sold it for $300.00 and Jordan cards from 87, 88 and 89. Ironic image I would love to get the bike back now. Cool thread.

image >>

Man, thanks for the memories. I had forgotten all about Dyno until I saw your pic. I had a dyno (mags, though) that I loved. Gyro neck and all. Did I even spell Gyro right?

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    My buddy had one of these as a kid and boy did I love that bike.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    Very cool!

Around 1984, my parents bought me a Huffy (I know, I know), but it was pretty cool. It had what I believe they called "teardrop" frame. It was chrome with some red stickers. I did not ride competitively, but I rode that bike many, many miles. On and off road. Great memories.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options

<< <i>Cool thread. Does anyone know where I can get a seat for a 79-80 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36? I just got my old bike back from my friends brother who has had it since the mid 80's. Thanks in advance if anyone can help. >>

Actually, I think I can get you the seat you need. I will visit a friend today who has a lot of Schwinn stuff...

By the way...here is my daughters newest ride: a 1981 Mongoose Minigoose

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Fixies FTW!

Awesome Mongoose, BTW.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Cool thread.

How much would an 80's AMF Hawk sell for? I think that was the kind of bike used in the Goonies. Those were the good days.
  • Options
    I had a REDLINE that was sweet. I miss that bike. That UNI seat and the Landing Gear forks bring back memories.

Any picks of Cook Bros. or Haro. PK Rippers.?
    1975 Topps Minis, 1964 Topps
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a Redline as well, it was a great bike..my buddy had a Haro Freestyler that he put like $700 into back in 1984.

Great thread, thanks for the trip down memory lane!
  • Options
    If anyone ever finds a Vision Punkskulls Green (original, not the remake) let me know. Loved that board as a kid, but have never been able to find an original, just the new crap.
    "If we are facing in the right direction, all we need to do is keep on walking." - David Brent
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still have my Haro Master Freestyle bike, and my Skyway race bike.
    At the time I put about 1k each into them, 1987 ish.

EDIT: Great pics all, really brings me back.
    Love seein all the oldies. These companies stiil goin?
    GT, Hutch, Redline, etc..?
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

<< <i>I still have my Haro Master Freestyle bike, and my Skyway race bike.
    At the time I put about 1k each into them, 1987 ish.

EDIT: Great pics all, really brings me back.
    Love seein all the oldies. These companies stiil goin?
    GT, Hutch, Redline, etc..? >>

I'm not into Freestyle, but people love Haro's. The Skyway is a great bike. Is it the T/A or the T/A XL (X-tra Long)? If it has REAL Skyway race handlebars on it...the bars alone would sell for $500-$700 depending on color/condition. Post pics of the bikes! Skyway T/A's are sweet!

Hutch has been brought back into existence by a former collector. Same logo, but no relation to Hutch from the 1980's.
    GT is now owned by Pacific Bicycle Company.
    Redline is now owned by SBS (Seattle Bike Supply)

GT and Redline are all made in Taiwann now. No longer USA made.

The hottest bikes nowadays...and still made in the USA are S&M bikes.
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    PK Ripper was the best. Can't be a thread without that bike. Go to seracing.com ---
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    SE is already represented in this thread - the blue quadangle on page 1.

I never like Rippers BITD, so I didn't have one to post here.