Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

Superb Circulated and MS Type & Better Date Circulated Barber Dimes

I have a small assortment of numismatic items available on my website. These items are also listed below with descriptions and pricing. Shipping and insurance are paid for by me and all items may be returned within a two week (14-day) period for complete refund. Payment accepted by personal, bank or business check or money order, USPS money order and PayPal options. I prefer to avoid the use of PayPal with the fees that are associated with this option, but if it is required please let me know via PM or email. Any questions may be asked within the thread or sent to me via PM or to my email address of tbush@tbnumismatics.com. Thank you for your time.

1) 1916-D PCGS MS64 Buffalo Nickel 10% Off-Center-Early, branch mint Buffalo nickels are difficult coins to obtain in any quantity regardless of their appearance. However, if one desires a rare off-center piece then they are significantly harder to obtain. Likewise, if intense toning is sought after then again the pool of potential candidates is quite small. Perhaps the ultimate in early, branch mint Buffalo nickels would be to find a coin with a major mint error as well as terrific toning. The present piece offered here sports both strong color predominantly in green and light violet as well as a 10% off-center strike. Behind the bison on the reverse there is a mint made depression in the unstruck portion of the field and this may have helped bring the grade of the coin down to MS64. This is a coin that must be seen in-hand and truly is one that will elicit a strong reaction from any who view it. $3,500.00

2) 1837 PCGS MS64/CAC Seated Liberty Half-Dime No Stars Small Date-This is not a flashy coin, but it is incredibly well struck save for parts of the H and A in “HALF DIME” on the reverse. This type is always in demand and is generally dipped out, though the present piece is a decidedly deep grey and auburn with some iridescence added to the mix. This is also the small date variety for the year and this is the more difficult of the two varieties to obtain. Published price guides are deceptively low for a value on this type, but one can certainly find a piece at those levels if one does not care what the coin looks like in-hand. Again, this is not the coin for the person who needs a flashy piece, but it is a coin for someone who likes dark coinage that is struck very well. $1,600.00

3) 1893-O PCGS EF40 Barber Dime-A deceptively difficult coin to find with any degree of meat left on its bones and a decidedly tough coin to find when the requirement of original surfaces is added to the mix. There are some issues where the Greysheet, which is used by many buyers as a guide, is far removed from the reality of the bourse and this is the case with the 1893-O Barber dime. Horrible coins can be found and purchased at Greysheet levels, but nice coins meant to grace quality collections hide at those levels. Here is such a nice coin offered at not all that much over Greysheet and when it is gone there will not be another listed in its place. $215.00

I also have three other wonderful, circulated Barber dimes that are not yet listed on my website.

4) 1867 PCGS EF45 Seated Quarter-Tough, tough coin with a miniscule original mintage of only 20,000 pieces. Few survive and fewer still survive with any type of meat left on their bones. This PCGS EF45 is a nice looking coin and offered at a few hundred dollars less than the price of the last coin of such grade to pass through a Heritage auction. ON HOLD

5)1809 PCGS AU58 Capped Bust Half Dollar O.103-It is without question that the 1809 Capped Bust half listed here has been dipped in the past. Thankfully, however, the coin still possesses rather vibrant luster and has not been dipped out. This is the O.103 Overton die marriage and is an R1 within the series. Of course, in the upper circulated grades the coin is significantly more difficult to obtain than in the mid-and lower grades. This coin might do well in a date set or as a type coin for those who desire largely untoned surfaces. $2,750.00

6) 1844-O PCGS MS63/CAC Seated Liberty Half Dollar-Wow! This is a very nice example of an incredibly scarce coin to find in any true MS grade. The coin is well struck, which is not all that unusual for this specific date, has a thick, apparently original skin that has fortunately produced an attractive patina that might better be described as “handsome” instead of “beautiful” and has a wonderful overall look. By the way, a “handsome” NM Seated half is far and away better than the typical NM Seated half that has been dipped to death. There are no singular whacks, hits, marks or blemishes that seem to dictate the grade, but there are some small, shallow, ancient surface hits that are noticeable in-hand with a loupe and that have toned completely with the rest of the coin. The arm’s length eye appeal is that of an MS64 or better and many of the technical aspects of the coin would be more at home on an MS64 coin than on an MS63 piece. The Wiley and Bugert Complete Guide to Liberty Seated Half Dollars notes that the six known die pairs for this issue are all at least R6- in MS and one is unknown in MS. This coin also has the commonly found polishing lines along the reverse rim near the reeding, which is an indication of the usage of the dies and the struggles of the early mint. A superb coin truly worthy of inclusion in a complete type set, denomination type set, Seated Liberty type set, date set or cool coin set for the lover of solid, quality coinage. ON HOLD

7) 1859-O PCGS MS63/CAC Seated Liberty Half Dollar-This is a second NM Seated Liberty half dollar that I have been fortunate to recently acquire and place on my site. This coin features a rather attractive or “sexy” look and sports a reverse that may very well rank as an MS64. The eye appeal of this coin is such that most collectors would gravitate toward the coin for closer examination and most would be pleased after the examination, too. The rims feature a mix of auburn and navy while some light peach sparkles through the fields. All of the NM Seated Liberty half dollars are more difficult than published guides would have one believe and this seems to be a crime, in my opinion, since these coins appear to fly under the radar and many collectors undervalue what it is that they are viewing. All die marriages for the date are rather scarce in MS grades. $2,250.00

8) 1958-D PCGS MS66FBL Franklin Half Dollar-Yes, this is the most common date and mint combination for nicely toned Franklin half dollars, but I couldn’t resist this coin with its very large swath of vibrant, deep color along the obverse rim and fairly clean surfaces. The reverse is more muted as these are prone to become and the bell lines are crisp and full. This is in a PCGS blue insert holder from the time period of late 1998 through early 2001 when PCGS was fairly tight, in my opinion. ON HOLD

9) 1798 NGC VF25/CAC Draped Bust Large Eagle Dollar-Original. Original. Original. This may be one of the most original early dollars I have ever had the privilege of owning or handling. The surfaces are an exquisite deep auburn (heck, they are deep brown for those who don’t prefer fancy color names) and show no evidence of post-circulation manipulation in any manner. The details on the coin appear to be meatier than a VF25, too, but I would imagine the coin received the grade due to a series of three hits on the reverse shield that look to have been on the coin since it was plucked out of circulation and preserved. The obverse also features an enormously cool bifurcating die crack from the rim of the coin directly beneath the date and up toward the stars on the left and the base of the drapery through the date. The crack is so pronounced that the 9 in the date looks to be slightly misshapen. Have early Federal pieces withdrawn from their previous highs of several years ago? Yes, they have as have many other types. Are early Federal pieces still terrific buys when compared to many other niche areas? You bet they are when they are cool and original. Might this date be obtained in this grade for a nominal reduction in cost from somewhere else? Of course, but sometimes it costs a bit more for quality. Do many folks who talk about wanting original coinage leave out the stipulation that they are bargain buyers, too? Unfortunately, this seems to be the case. If you love original coinage then it may behoove you to step up to the plate and purchase a terrific coin. ON HOLD

10) 1880-S NGC MS65PL Morgan Dollar-Morgan dollars along with Lincoln cents might just be the two most popular series in all of United States numismatics. Morgan dollars are big, old, contain more than three-quarters of a troy ounce of pure silver and are plain cool. One thing that Morgan dollars are generally not, however, is toned when they are given the PL or DMPL designation. The present coin is the happy exception to that rule with a deep, burnt red and blue glow across the obverse. The 1880-S is one of the most common issues to find nice and they can even be found in some numbers in PL and DMPL, but the toning on this coin assures that few will match its aesthetics. $1,200.00

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Comments