Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Check out this ebay sellers comments about shipping charges

This guy apparently was getting flack for his $8.00 shipping charges for raw cards:

On Nov-24-10 at 17:21:35 PST, seller added the following information:

I WAS GETTING READY TO LIST ALL THE REST OF MY CARDS FROM THE 1930'S WHICH ARE MINT/LIKE NEW FOR THE SAME $.99 STARTING BID BUT A CERTAIN MEMBER WANTS TO REPORT ME FOR MY SHIPPING. SO I GUESS I'LL DROP THE SHIPPING TO FREE IN A STAMPED ENVELOPE WITH NO INSURANCE OR CONFORMATION AND RAISE THE STARTING BID TO $100.00. SO GOOD LUCK ON GETTING ONE AND IF YOU DO IT WILL PROBABLY BE DESTROYED BY THE TIME YOU GET IT. I'M TIRED OF ARGUEING WITH EVERYBODY ON EBAY OVER SHIPPING. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T BID. I'D LIKE A LITTLE FEEDBACK ON THE SUBJECT FROM OTHERS. THANX FOR LISTENING

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation

Comments

• I don't think 8$ is too bad if it were insured/confirmed/packaged correctly for cards like that, seems like an alright number.

Albeit I don't know how much it will end up being insured for at this rate lol.
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    $8 is fair if actually packaged correctly.....
  • BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926

<< <i>$8 is fair if actually packaged correctly..... >>

I agree...I actually want to bid on a couple of his cards, but I am going to wait to see if he responds to my question first. (I sent him a question to see how he plans on shipping the card)

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Ive seen big sellers get negs for $5.00 shipping for graded cards.
    I lost my TSR badge because I charge $4 per card shipping with 50 cents for each additional card. Got 6 1's for shipping charge, when they were never out of line to begin with!!!! I think people don't realize how much it actually cost to ship a card and package it properly to insure it's safety...Maybe if they got one of these in a PWE, they would change their tune about the $4 shipping charge!!! ( and this came from a seller who charged $5 shipping!!!! GO FIGURE! )
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shipping something safe it not free. I would rather pay more for shipping and have it come safe and secure then not and risk the item being damaged.

I personaly don't understand the cheap skate view point when it comes to shipping.
  • RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    all of the anger should be directed at ebay....not at buyers or sellers. Like it has been said many times: "if a buyer does not like the shipping charges, then they should not bid." It's outrageous that sellers can get rated on shipping charges. If e-bay wants to be fair, they should change the "shipping charges" rating category to "shipping /paypal charges." With the number of auctions that start and end at .99 or close to that, recouping some of the paypal charges in shipping charges is essential. Ebay clearly wants to encourage sellers to start auctions at that .99 number, so this change to "shipping /paypal charges" would accomplish that.
  • Most likely a bunch of bottom feeders stirring up trouble again. I do agree that $8 is not out of line if it is in fact packed securely, shipped quickly by first class with confirmation and insurance. In my experience that is the way most of my items arrive and I have never dinged anyone on shipping. I have had several occasions where sellers have charged $5-6 for shipping and I get the item in a top loader or Card saver with a piece of tape across the top, sandwiched btw two pieces of cardboard cut from a cereal box with a rubber band around it and maybe or maybe not mailed in a bubble mailer. There are sellers where it is plain to see that they are trying to cover some of their fees through their shipping charges. If you run your business like a business you should be ok.
    Collecting Pre-War, Pre-War HOF Types, Pre-War Postcards
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>all of the anger should be directed at ebay....not at buyers or sellers. Like it has been said many times: "if a buyer does not like the shipping charges, then they should not bid." It's outrageous that sellers can get rated on shipping charges. If e-bay wants to be fair, they should change the "shipping charges" rating category to "shipping /paypal charges." With the number of auctions that start and end at .99 or close to that, recouping some of the paypal charges in shipping charges is essential. Ebay clearly wants to encourage sellers to start auctions at that .99 number, so this change to "shipping /paypal charges" would accomplish that. >>

The problem, IMO, is that shipping charges and packing method are closely linked. $5 may seem perfectly reasonable when you bid on a lot of raw, for example, but when that lot shows up between two top loaders with clear packing tape wrapped around it and the cards stuck to one side of the tape, $5 may not seem like reasonable charges any more.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Ya... Like I earlier earlier, if you package something correctly I don't see why Ebay should even permit you to be able to be rated on shipping (perhaps some sort of other way to leave a separate feedback over how the items packaging was).... Or change the category to "Item Packaging" or something actually professional. The "cheaper" cards that I charge 2.75 for cost me about that to ship with confirmation in a bubble mailer.

• << <i>Shipping something safe it not free. I would rather pay more for shipping and have it come safe and secure then not and risk the item being damaged.

I personaly don't understand the cheap skate view point when it comes to shipping. >>

I just think it depends on the item.

If I need a 2006 Topps common card to complete a team set I'm working on, and the card value is nominal, I don't want to pay $4 to have it shipped. On a silly little card like this, I'm happy with a PWE with the card in Card Saver. I prefer paying $1.00 shipping on something like this.

Now, a slabbed card or anything with any sort of value to it, yes, $3.50 to $4.00 is reasonable.

• alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Whether you ship for free or charge an appropriate amount you will never please everyone. that's all I have to say. have a great holiday, or at least what's left of the weekend everyone!!

al.

• << <i>I WAS GETTING READY TO LIST ALL THE REST OF MY CARDS FROM THE 1930'S WHICH ARE MINT/LIKE NEW FOR THE SAME $.99 STARTING BID BUT A CERTAIN MEMBER WANTS TO REPORT ME FOR MY SHIPPING. SO I GUESS I'LL DROP THE SHIPPING TO FREE IN A STAMPED ENVELOPE WITH NO INSURANCE OR CONFORMATION AND RAISE THE STARTING BID TO $100.00. SO GOOD LUCK ON GETTING ONE AND IF YOU DO IT WILL PROBABLY BE DESTROYED BY THE TIME YOU GET IT. I'M TIRED OF ARGUEING WITH EVERYBODY ON EBAY OVER SHIPPING. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T BID. I'D LIKE A LITTLE FEEDBACK ON THE SUBJECT FROM OTHERS. THANX FOR LISTENING
    >>

An excerpt from the NY Times bestseller "How To Make Sure No One Bids On Your EBay Auctions EVER AGAIN!!!"
    Now available in paperback.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
    Yes...doesn't he realize we want to pay 99 cents each for his cards from the 30's with NO SHIPPING CHARGE! We are all cheapskate bottom feeders...
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    someone post a link, i wanna buy everything.

• << <i>Yes...doesn't he realize we want to pay 99 cents each for his cards from the 30's with NO SHIPPING CHARGE! We are all cheapskate bottom feeders... >>

I'll wait for the 49 cent auctions with free shipping (priority mail), I feel in these economic times 99 cents is just to much for a modern day 1930's card. then i will do the seller a favor and leave a 3 or 4 star rating. image
  • About a week ago i was looking at a card and checked out the sellers feedback. One buyer left him a neg because the buyer said the sellers counter best offer was too high. So be careful listing BIN's with best offers.
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Certain buyers prefer a stamp and a plain white envelope. They're called scammers.

As stated above - I don't think $8 is too much if they are packaged properly.

As a buyer if I agree to the shipping charge, but I expect the seller will use all of the money wisely.

I am trusting that he uses the money in a way to protect the item(s).

• I love the buyer that dinged me on shipping recently. I ran 1 -25 cards 2.75 for s/h.
    He won 4 cards so s/h was 2.75, now the post office charged me 2.36, I ship even 99 cent cards well protected and in a bubble mailer with green DC. He emails,didn't appreciate me making money off S/H and I should refund him promptly 39 cents, I email back politely explaining cost of mailer and basically tell him to pound sand, thus I get 1 star for S/H and he joined my BBL.

even with free shipping sellers will ding your S/H if you don't manually enter a tracking number, since I don't print my own postage.

then you get the idiots that buy a PSA 7 NQ and then ding you for description because it won't bump to a PSA 8 or 9.

oh well enough about the great buyers/lowlife bottom feeders (wish they were your competitions customers) on Ebay.

Time to list some counterfeit err I mean just found (probably real??) in the attic of my great great Aunt Mary Jane, 52 Mantle & 33 Lajoie & t206 Plank & Wagner will offer Free shipping on these.
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I love the buyer that dinged me on shipping recently. I ran 1 -25 cards 2.75 for s/h.
    He won 4 cards so s/h was 2.75, now the post office charged me 2.36, I ship even 99 cent cards well protected and in a bubble mailer with green DC. He emails,didn't appreciate me making money off S/H and I should refund him promptly 39 cents, I email back politely explaining cost of mailer and basically tell him to pound sand, thus I get 1 star for S/H and he joined my BBL.

even with free shipping sellers will ding your S/H if you don't manually enter a tracking number, since I don't print my own postage.

then you get the idiots that buy a PSA 7 NQ and then ding you for description because it won't bump to a PSA 8 or 9.

oh well enough about the great buyers/lowlife bottom feeders (wish they were your competitions customers) on Ebay.

Time to list some counterfeit err I mean just found (probably real??) in the attic of my great great Aunt Mary Jane, 52 Mantle & 33 Lajoie & t206 Plank & Wagner will offer Free shipping on these. >>

That's ridiculous. I think all sellers should be able to make a little something on shipping.

I wish the PO wouldn't put the price of the shipping on the package.

This is one reason why I love labels at home. The price I pay needs to be hidden. If a seller sees you made 0.01 off of shipping, they can become sour.

It's weird, I know.