Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Milky toning on MS Canadian Silver Dollars

Hi, I have a few MS Canadian Silver Dollars in TPG slabs that have a milky looking toning over part of the coin. From what I can find out this was caused by long term storage in the original mint packaging. I was just wondering if there was anyway to remove or minimize this toning without damaging the coin?. While it's not horrible, it is distracting when looking at the coin.

Thanks
National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.

Comments

• DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    The original packing by the RCM was bad for the silver? I thought they used mylar like with the Maple Leafs.

Toning is a chemical change on the surface of silver. You can slough it off, bu that would mean the original surface is going to be sacrificed, thus lowering the condition and value of the coin. The toning does not lower the value, so just leave it as is. It sounds like its in a slab....even more of a reason just to leave it. The grade on the slab tells everyone the coin is legit and evaluated by a third party without any stake in the coin.

I used to be disturbed by silver toning. Early in my collecting days, I even used silver polish to get some coins clean (I know, bad idea). Luckily, these were circulated ones that were really just worth their melt value to begin with.

I learned to appreciate toning after awhile because now I see how important it is to have the original surface of the coin intact.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Well I thought about sending the few with the milky toning to NCS, these silver dollars I have are the ones minted from 1935-1967 with a few years missing because of WW2. I think the packaging on the Maple Leaf coins is fine.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.