Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Another Franklin Half Dollar Question

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know price guides are all over the place, so I figured I would ask the experts here to get an idea. Does anyone know how much it would cost to assemble a MS65 set of Franklin halves without FBL? I know attractive toning or in some cases blast white will play a role with some coins, but I am just looking for a rough guess. Thanks for the opinions!

Comments

• Options

<< <i>I know price guides are all over the place, so I figured I would ask the experts here to get an idea. Does anyone know how much it would cost to assemble a MS65 set of Franklin halves without FBL? I know attractive toning or in some cases blast white will play a role with some coins, but I am just looking for a rough guess. Thanks for the opinions! >>

You answered your own question. "Prices are all over the place".
  • Options
    a rough guess , for average examples , with average appeal , would be about 60% of PCGS Price Guide
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    Why plain 65s when 64s are so cheap? You could mix a 64/65 set fairly inexpensively. A lot of PCGS 64s are probably close in quality to NGC 65s. Is this for investment or what?
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>... Is this for investment or what? >>

Saying investment and Franklins in the same sentence is somewhat like saying Jumbo shrimp.
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    with silver at all time highs and the value of the series so tied to spot, I am not sure this is the time to start such an endeavor. I would say for the normal collector avoiding FBL's on some or most examples is a great idea as visual impact of that strike designation is marginal and a coin with FBL's can still be weakly struck
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Link to Franklin PCGS Price Guide

If you were to take the 60% Suggestion...it might lead you to about $2,673
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    yes, the investment potential of Franklins is like Skyman's oxymoron : clearly misunderstood
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>yes, the investment potential of Franklins is like Skyman's oxymoron : clearly misunderstood >>

if they are or are not can be debated,one could not call your opinion unbiased or doubt which side you fall on.Skyman does have History on his side
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I asked a year or 2 ago about doing an AU58 graded set and was told that would be more expensive than a 64/5 basic set....?
  • Options
    RebelRonRebelRon Posts: 544 ✭✭

<< <i>yes, the investment potential of Franklins is like Skyman's oxymoron : clearly misunderstood >>

And all of us Franklin Freeks ARE oxymorons.image
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    Franklins have treated me VERY well over the past 40 years.
    They were, and remain, one of the best investments I ever made.
    I was fortunate enough to be in ahead of time on several crazes, bought smart, and sold smart.
    Of course, imho, the opportunites of yesterday are no longer present in this mature market.

edit to add: I can't speak to the varieties that are now recognized. Reading up on these a bit.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920

<< <i>Saying investment and Franklins in the same sentence is somewhat like saying Jumbo shrimp. >>

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>... Is this for investment or what? >>

Saying investment and Franklins in the same sentence is somewhat like saying Jumbo shrimp. >>

There must be a few oxymoron's in this group- considering the number of Franklin sets in the registry, along with the different registry types.

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Never really thought of it this way, it took years to assemble, some were gotten cheap, others pricey...what mattered most was who was bidding on what and whether or not my dealers stocked Frankies? Supply and demand was another factor, some years were easy, others took some time before the right coin came along.

I wish I had kept better records of purchases, I ran across some notes I took from 1991, Franklins were reasonable then, even ones with FBL. They have gone up about 35% since then. Investing/buying and holding anything that increases by more than 20% is better than tying up your money, as told to me by a Harvard MBA.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options

<< <i>And all of us Franklin Freeks ARE oxymorons.image >>

Don't include me in your group. I am a full fledged moron!
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know how much it would cost to assemble a MS65 set of Franklin halves without FBL?

yes, $11,468.77 and not a penny more.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone know how much it would cost to assemble a MS65 set of Franklin halves without FBL?

yes, $11,468.77 and not a penny more. >>

***I'm RICH***

In today's market, right at $3,000 would get you some dandy MS-65's. You can even throw in a 55' Bugs Bunny! That's less than $100 per coin average.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file