Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mile High Madness

I am bidding on cards at Mile High Auction company for the first time. It's got to be one of the most irritating auction formats ever. If any items in any of their auctions are bid on, then *every* auction lasts 15 more minutes. Will this thing ever end? I thought I had won a card 4.5 hours ago, but 15 minutes at a time it's still running. I'm starting to think it could go on for several days yet.

Would it not make more sense to only have the auctions which were actually bid on extended and not every auction on the site?

The only format I'm familiar with is E-bay, which seems much saner. Do the other non-ebay auction houses work like this, or is this a unique style?

Sorry for the rant, I'm probably mostly frusturated because I realized I may never be able to afford a signed clemente rookie image

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    This is the way all auctions used to run, but some have changed to individual closings. Most still do it the same way as Mile High is running tonite.
    I expect the auction will go on for at least another 2 hours. Some auctions run as late as 6am Eastern.
    This auction was already extended 8-9 days past the stated closing date.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Auction still going on! Get those snipes set! (snicker)....
  • Options
    Is anyone suprised at the Bobby Orrs?

$70 k for a topps test 8.5 rookie.

$8 k psa 8 rookie. Didn't that use to be a $4,000 card?

I didn't know a psa 9 '71 topps brooks robinson is so rare. Judging by the results, I would say "what recession". The goudeys looked strong. Did anyone pick up any bargains?
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I thought I got a few good deals.....mostly got outbid on everything though.....
  • Options
    won 2 lots, no Orr rookies image or Cracker Jack sets
    Collecting Pre-War, Pre-War HOF Types, Pre-War Postcards
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    very surprised at the orr test card , that is significantly more than the only psa 9 topps sold for in a good economy. a psa 8 goes for under 20k so a 50k premium for a 1/2 grade , psa should advertise this for sure to promote their 1/2 grades
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    eBay has an ending auction format, a buy it now format, and I wish they also had this format for the seller to choose from.

Not surprised at the Orr card AT ALL.

That Orr is a TOPPS USA TEST NOT the regular Topps.

8.5 is the highest graded Orr USA TEST to date.

The 9 is the regular Topps.

The USA TEST cards are rare...currently only 62 Orr Tests have been graded (8.5 highest, pop 1) and 392 regular Topps Orrs (9 highest, pop 1)
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    MULLINS5 , I know the orr was the USA TEST, my point is that the USA test in an 8 sells for 15-20k , that is a 50-55k premium for a 1/2 grade. as for the regular topps psa 9, that sold for about 38k I believe. yes , the test is rarer but a pop 1 9 should command a heavier premium than a test 8 -> 8.5