Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1956 Mantle Question

I've noticed a 1956 Mantle graded SGC 96 (Item #190471454870) has been on ebay for many months. The beginning price has been reduced a few times and is now at $5600. It seems to be a good value since the SMR is at $8,000, yet no takers. It looks like a nice mint example of the '56 Mantle. So why no interest? Is it because of the SGC grade and nobody wants to risk a crossover. I have heard that SGC is highly respected when it comes to grading vintage cards. Is the market not there for this particular card in high grade? It's beyond my buying limits but I wonder why no one has pulled the trigger.

Comments

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    SGC is not as popular as PSA especially in issues from the 50's and 60's. Also, even if it is a stunning 9....PSA generally will not cross high dollar cards over---especially high dollar and high grade Mantles. Seems like a decent price for that card if it is a strict 9. It would not be the worst $5600 you could spend.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    This is just my opinion.I think PSA has overwhelming exposure throughout the hobby.SGC IMO is a very good grading company with possibly strickter grading standards than PSA.$5600 for the Mantle from SGC is definetly a good price for one who has a budget for it.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options

<< <i>I've noticed a 1956 Mantle graded SGC 96 (Item #190471454870) has been on ebay for many months. The beginning price has been reduced a few times and is now at $5600. It seems to be a good value since the SMR is at $8,000, yet no takers. It looks like a nice mint example of the '56 Mantle. So why no interest? Is it because of the SGC grade and nobody wants to risk a crossover. I have heard that SGC is highly respected when it comes to grading vintage cards. Is the market not there for this particular card in high grade? It's beyond my buying limits but I wonder why no one has pulled the trigger. >>

Now at $5400. While memory lane has a PSA 9 for over double that amount.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    If I had the extra 5K laying around, I would buy that card in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Two factors are hurting that card. The PSA Registry dominates high grade issues. The SGC registry is non existent. I have the same example to a smaller degree. A 1954 Bowman Don Newcombe PSA 9 recently sold for $1500. I have the same card in an SGC 9. I couldn't give it away, and was asking HALF PRICE ($800). It looked every bit as good as the PSA one. There seems to be some sort of stigmatism involving SGC high grade cards from the 50's. In prewar, SGC is king.....anything else is lesser.... Maybe people are afraid that to get the big money, it needs to be a PSA 9, and if you crack it out, then you might NOT GET a PSA 9! If the card comes back a PSA 8, then you just lost $3,000. In the economy, noone can afford to take that gamble...
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Post war values on SGC cards have been hurting, thats for sure. The only way to explain is the lack of the registry competition. I think we can see how/why psa values are inflated over real value of the cards just because the registry. It's a good thing if you are a seller but a bad thing if you are a buyer.

For example, rbdjr's 1978 Topps Johnny LeMaster that just sold for 125 or something like that in PSA 9, would sell for probably 10 bucks if it was in an SGC holder.

As we have seen the saying...."The registry is a powerful drug"
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>Two factors are hurting that card. The PSA Registry dominates high grade issues. The SGC registry is non existent. I have the same example to a smaller degree. A 1954 Bowman Don Newcombe PSA 9 recently sold for $1500. I have the same card in an SGC 9. I couldn't give it away, and was asking HALF PRICE ($800). It looked every bit as good as the PSA one. There seems to be some sort of stigmatism involving SGC high grade cards from the 50's. In prewar, SGC is king.....anything else is lesser.... Maybe people are afraid that to get the big money, it needs to be a PSA 9, and if you crack it out, then you might NOT GET a PSA 9! If the card comes back a PSA 8, then you just lost $3,000. In the economy, noone can afford to take that gamble... >>

your understanding of chazonomics should bring things into focus here......if you want someone to pay you well for an SGC graded gem, you will need to wait it out since there are literally dozens of PSA Registry people out there for any one of something else....it's the only way to realize what you believe is true value-to-graders opinion, or you must capitulate and simply put the card in a PSA holder so it could be sold at all.
  • Options
    I bought the Mantle off EBay !! Can't go wrong with a MINT Mantle, it's very liquid.
  • Options
    I've had very good success buying SGC 96's and having them crossed over. I've taken high end cards to shows, offered a couple hundred bucks to a dealer that does a lot of PSA business if they can take it over and it slides to PSA 9. I'm scared to death to crack and re-submit, you may never get what you had.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations. imageimage

BTW Hi, hello, how are ya? image
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I bought the Mantle off EBay !! Can't go wrong with a MINT Mantle, it's very liquid. >>

Congrats! Are you going to try to cross it over? If so, let us know how it comes out.
  • Options
    I think the line of thought on the registry and its impact on prices realized for PSA cards is spot on.
    Im an ardent collector of SGC cards and have many many sets. There seems to be very little competition for the sets I am involved in and therefore very little bidding wars to engage in that would then drive the price up on the cards.
    There are many sets for some of the main 50s and 60s sets, but even then it pales in comparison to PSA.

However there are benefits to that. It allows me to buy the same card at a lower price point. My dollar goes further.

• Options
    So here is a question for people to ponder (and hopefully answer)
    What would be a better assessment of the value of the Mantle? Is it the value that is assigned to the PSA copy or the value assigned to the SGC?
    Think of it like this;
    If you have the same card, say a 56 Mantle that is Mint and is in three states; raw, PSA and SGC, which value is an indication of the "true" "actual" "market value" or whatever moniker you want to use to assign value to the card?
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    I'll let you make a small quick profit if you want to flip it right quick like. PM me if interested.
  • Options
    Help Mr Corvette ...

I don't know how to PM.
  • Options

<< <i>So here is a question for people to ponder (and hopefully answer)
    What would be a better assessment of the value of the Mantle? Is it the value that is assigned to the PSA copy or the value assigned to the SGC?
    Think of it like this;
    If you have the same card, say a 56 Mantle that is Mint and is in three states; raw, PSA and SGC, which value is an indication of the "true" "actual" "market value" or whatever moniker you want to use to assign value to the card? >>

Its always hard to know what the real value is. Every other grading company seems to be a few notches down from PSA in value. Even if the card in the holder is top notch. Every graded card from a different company has different values i guess.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    This is interesting..................

Welcome aboard Lifeshouldbefun.

Good for you.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Lifeshouldbefun,
    What's the part about you offer a dealer a couple hundred bucks and hope it slides over because the dealer does alot of business with PSA? Can you clarify this a bit?

Mickey71
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I bought the Mantle off EBay !! Can't go wrong with a MINT Mantle, it's very liquid. >>

Congrats lifeshouldbefun!!! I just found this thread and I was scurrying trying to find the ebay page to buy this card!!! What a tremendous deal you got! Wow!
    imageimage
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image