Home Metal Detecting
Options

Do you sell any of your finds?

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
The only thing I've cashed in was pocket change - use it as a nice payday at the end of each year.

There are some things I found that are worth a couple dollars but i have no interest in them. They just sit in a display case locked in a safe. It's a nice memory, but it's just sitting there, where someone else might enjoy it more. So... I'm in the great debate of keeping or selling... image

My buddy is also eating up anything silver and would love to buy at melt the common silver coins I've found.

Stuff like my Continental Army "USA" button isn't going anywhere though! Any gold is staying in the Safe Deposit Box too, that's staying!

So, what do you guys think about selling your finds?

Comments

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have sold "zero" of my finds except for the scrap copper, lead and aluminum.
  • Options
    i found a very rare insulator, that i plan to sell next july. its valued between $2200-$3000. sold my recent saloon token to get the fugio. i'm starting to think of selling my rare coin finds to buy more fugios or early large cents. i've dug a 1901s, 03s and 04s barber dimes. figure i could get a pcgs grading and sell or trade for some old coppers.
    i sold a gold bracelet a few months ago to get 2 pontoon fishing boats. local coin dealer wants to trade an 1811 and 1812 large cents for a saloon token i have. i dug a 1914d cent that might be worth something.

my civil war relics will never be sold off. those are just too uncommon to find around here.
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vending machinesimage
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i sell the silver and some gold jewelery then turned and brought myself something with that. either a piece of jewelery or a wicked nice coin image life is good
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    I turned in some jewelry at melt and got a couple dimes I needed '21D & 31D mercs.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold off my 21 gram 14K necklace and $110 in pocket change to get a PCGS MS61 1915 $5 gold peice.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    I have sold separate lots of scrap silver coins on ebay in the past and also sold a 1925 Australia Penny, which was bent like a potato chip and badly corroded, for $27. It's a semi-key and worth about $150-$200 in decent shape.

Just recently sent a bunch of scrap gold and silver jewelry finds that's been piling up for the last 3 years to the refiners and got a nice direct deposit into the bank account.

Most of our finds are modern pocket change that gets tumbled to clean it up, and spent!

Now, I need to go find some more!

Stub
  • Options
    Tep...all the time...on eBay
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can no longer say that I have saved all of the coins that I have found detecting. I did take fifteen years of quarters, dimes and nickels to the bank. It took them an hour and a half to run them through the machinge. They didn't want to mess with the pennies because they thought that it might mess up their machine. And I don't blame them on that one. Now what to do with 150+ pounds of pennies.
  • Options
    15 yrs????? Wow! What are the totals?? How much is 150lbs of pennies? There must be a lot a copper there!
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    -Modern coins: Clean ones I spend (mainly recent drops from beaches), rough ones I accumulate for a few years and then the bank has to deal with them image

-Older coins I collect in albums, trying to build date sets of them (incl. trying to upgrade to better condition examples when I find duplicates of the same date). This way it remains interesting to find common coins as you might fill a hole or get an upgrade. I've found it surprisingly difficult to complete a dug date set of almost anything. Seems I'm always missing a date or two

-Jewelry just sits in a display case (which is not on display)

-One old gold ring I donated to a museum
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Hey why not donate the 150 lb of pennies to the Salvation Army?