Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Coin Holders: Air tites, capsules

I already know what flips I want: E&T Kointainer SAFLIPs

Now, I want to see my options for air tite coin holders.

I researched the same company that makes Saflips and found:
Originally created in the 1940's, KoinTain holders are made of thin pliable Mylar. Proven to be a safe and effective coin capsule for those collectors who wish to preserve their coins in a round, virtually airtight, inert, holder. Unlike some holders, KoinTains allow you to view the edge of the coin.

"Virtually airtight" or is it airtight? What other alternatives are there for coin capsules that are airtight. I want to use them or some of the silver coins. It allows us to enjoy the coin more closely than a flip.

I want something airtight, safe material for silver, scratch resistant.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

Comments

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Saflips are intended for direct insertion of the coin into the flip. You could place a Kointain or Air-Tite capsule into the Saflip if you do not intend to take it in and out very much. I say this because the Saflips are brittle and much handling will cause them to crack.

1. Kointains: In my experience these allow the coins to shift and rattle around a bit unless they are a near perfect "press-fit", otherwise, I prefer

2. Air-Tites: The neoprene (foam?) ring provides stability to the coin, and is probably more scratch resistant than a 'softer' Kointain, IMO.

As to "airtight-ness" (is that a word?), no plastic material can be truly airtight as all plastics are gas-permeable to some extent. In fact, if you are not careful about storage/transport/humidity factors of any coin encapsulated in plastic, you may set up conditions ripe for formation of condensation inside the coin holder; this includes any TPG plastics.

If you want your coin to be 'contained' and preserved in a "no-problem" air-tight environment, you'll have to place your coins in a glass envelope on which you've pulled a vacuum.

Otherwise, use Air-Tite holders with the white foam rings and try to maintain a dessicated, dry environment around your coins (Florida or coastal areas are not your coins friends).
  • Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    I've used air-tites and they do a good job - I think they even sell 2.5 by 2.5 inch squares which you can insert the round air-tite into, so as to better display a series.
  • Options
    As Mac said, there are no airtight holders on the market right now, including TPG holders. And as far as flips go, I say again I love the generic safety flips I buy, and would purchase them over the E&T even if they were priced identically. They are a little thicker, with better seams, and have rounded corners.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    OK, this helps me. I thought there was a product out there that was airtight. Then the E&T promotors were really honest about saying that the coin capsule is virtually airtight, but not absolutely.

I kind of like the E&T design because it really takes on the size of the coin and on some instances, one cannot tell the coin is in a capsule. There are some brands out there in which the outer diameter is larger than the actual coin, kind of like a plastic buffer zone all around the coin. They are OK, but kind of bulky.

I currently have some coin capsules from Germany (brand unknown) that I use for the 10 Euro silver coins (Germany). After many years of use, coins look the same as they did when I first got them. I lucked out in it being archival safe.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I just ordered some coin supplies from the German company Lindner. They just had more of the stuff I wanted and in high quality. The sale does not hurt either. Part of the order included coin capsules. I want to see how they are. I would be open to trying the unique features that the Kointain capsule has at a later date. For now, I don't want to go around placing orders in a different places. The supplies coming from Lindner will keep me busy for the time being. One loses on shipping ordering from too many different places, especially when a large quantity is not involved.

Check them out at

www.Lindner-usa.com