Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NGC Sample Slab : Question........ Please Help......

My question is concerning one sample slab in particular.....

On this Heritage Auction page.....

http://coins.ha.com/sampleSlabs.php

Concerning Sample Slab #4.1

How many Morgans where Slabbed as MS-60 with the serial # 199999-001??? Is there only one with this serial #???

any help is greatly appreciated image

Thanks & Aloha
VAMmer for Life!

Comments

• Options

HA Link here for NGC Sample Slabs......

http://coins.ha.com/sampleSlabs.php
    VAMmer for Life!
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably a lot. A cert look-up on NGC's site for that number brings up a 1964-D dime sample.

It's probably a dummy number, like Social Security numbers starting with 9. Used in-house.
    Lance.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS often used certification numbers of 12345678 or something similar for their samples, so it would not surprise me if NGC used a number over and over, too.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (1)These sample silver dollars were usually submitted by dealers in rolls (more often Peace dollars than Morgans) to NGC upon special request to have them put into sample slabs for their customers. There were only a handful of dealers that did this. This was not an advertised program.

(2) ALL NGC insert tags were light brown colored. The green bordered NGC insert tags resulted from DISCOLORATION of the light brown insert tags from exposure to light and was NOT originally made as green bordered insert tags!!!! WHOA!!!! ANYONE KNOW THAT?

(3) The lack dots seen in the corners of each insert tag was indeed a cutting guide to trim all of the insert tags when they were cut using an old fashioned cutting board machine. We did suspect on this board that this was the case.

(4) The 99999999-001 to 99999999-025 merely represents the number of silver dollars submitted on a submission sheet to the grading service. The old submission sheets had up to 25 coins that could be submitted per sheet. The first coin in the specific submission sheet would be xxxxxxxxx-001 and the last one xxxxxxxxx-025. They have no special meaning in themselves so #001 is no more important than #025. The coins usually would be the same for at least 20 coins submitted as that was a full roll with the rest being a different coin from another roll, but not always. Occasionally they were just odds and ends or leftovers from various rolls.

(5) The official estimates that a total of between 500 to a maximum of under 1000 of these slabs were ever created. That would make them of a lower "original mintage" than either the black NGC slabs or the all white NGC insert tag slabs but apparently more of them may have been saved than the black or all white NGC slabs.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    I was under the impression for the longest time that there were only 1 001 number for each morgan or peace dollar that NGC slabbed as samples.
    A few month ago oreville(I think it was) burst my bubble and reported that there are multiple 001's. Example, I own 2 1923 Peace samples with 001.

I tried to find the thread (orevilles), couldn't find it.

BTW I now have 442 sample slabs from all the grading services, 4 are duplicated.

another BTW Kauai is our most favorite place in the world. We try to make it an annual event, couldn't make it last year due to financial restrains, but we hope make it next year.
    We were there last when a resevoir burst and some folks perished, terrible accident.

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Thank you very much!

on the HA website under Sample Slab #4.1 is clear says....

"A Rare slab! I seldom use the word Rare but this one warrants that word. I have only seen 3-4 total so far with the Morgan dollar inside instead of the Peace dollar."

and I was just wondering if anyone here might have more accurate information concerning how many were slabbed total, but I guess that information was lost long ago.

The serial # comes up as a 1964-D dime sample, but I think that is mostly a Human error at NGC.

Thanks everyone!
    VAMmer for Life!
  • Options

<< <i>We were there last when a resevoir burst and some folks perished, terrible accident. >>

I live in that town where the damn broke..... Kilauea. I hope you like it here
    VAMmer for Life!
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I tried to find the thread (orevilles), couldn't find it. >>

PCGS uh, you know what.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Lance, Tom or Oreville; someone please tell KauaiCoins that I'm harmless. PM sent. image
  • Options
    << I tried to find the thread (orevilles), couldn't find it. >>

PCGS uh, you know what.

Huh ??????????????

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I'm on Kauai too, Herb. Thought he and I could talk.
  • Options
    you are Really on Kauai???
    VAMmer for Life!
  • Options
    You lucky dogs, wish I was there.

Herb
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Sweet dime, Herb! image

I heard about a guy getting one in change from Sueoka's Store in Koloa about 6 months ago.....
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I've had a 199999 Morgan in a Reg Set @ NGC ever since NGC started their Registry. I have a set of toned Morgans there and wanted to enter my SS because it has a toned crescent on the rev but their Registry wouldn't accept it. Dena had me send her a scan of the thing because she said she kept hitting a different date & denomination WITHOUT a grade for that cert #, apparently the NGC 2.5 which contained dimes, that's what your search returned.
    She entered it for me and several times since then I've gotten the canned emails "Transfer of Certification Request" because smoebody else is trying to enter it into their Reg Set. I reject the transfers because I still own the slab but apparently several other people also have a SS with the same cert #. But theirs could be a dime or Peace with the same cert #, not necessarily a Morgan.

But to answer you question how many ms60 are there with the same cert # from the 4.1 series, it's been said that between 500-1000 Dollars were slabbed so with 25 coins per submission sheet so that would be 20-40 coins with the same cert # but that was throughout 4 different slab styles which would lower the 20-40 estimate so it depends on how many coins were submitted while that style was in use and how many were actually Morgans rather than Peace.
    Keep in mind the NGC 4.2 had the ms63 grade which would further dilute the 20-40 estimate. 20-40 is the max figure IF they were all 4.1 and IF they were all Morgans. IF a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his ass every time he hopped either but you can rest assured the 199999-001 population is much lower than 20-40.
    Overall, NGC Morgan Samples are neither extremely rare or valuable, I've seem several go in the $40 range on eBay last week or so.

There was a thread on this board where we tried to account for all the Morg & Peace SS known, we had provenance on a great many duplicate cert #'s but PCGS didn't like us runing an NGC registry here so they POOFED! it. Lots of valuable info lost. image
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    YonicoYonico Posts: 149
    just stumbled upon this thread by chance..

here are mine:

i also had another peace dollar with the 199999-001 serial number, but it had a chip on the corner and was sold off
  • Options
    ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315
    I own 4 diff samples with those numbers

Herb
    imageimageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file