Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1963 Bazooka Baseball - fakes?

Can anyone tell me how to determine whether raw 1963 Bazooka baseball singles are authentic or fakes? I understand there were quite a few fakes put out in the hobby a few years back.

Thanks!
Looking to trade for, or purchase, raw or graded vintage for my baseball sets: 1927 York Caramel, 1951 Bowman, 1957 Topps, 1967-1979.
http://richsbaseball.webs.com

Comments

• Options
    I have seen two different types of 1963 fakes. One type has a very glossy photo and is two pieces, it is actually a thin photo layer adhered to some grayish cardboard. You can actually tell at the edge and I separated a Brooks Robinson into two pieces. The second type looks very similar to a real one but has a grayback stock as opposed to the real more brownish-gray color. I actually bought a '63 Musial Bazooka graded by BGS off of ebay and upon receipt I could tell immediately it was fake. Most of the fakes I have seen have been in off-brand type graded slabs; FGS, GEM, Capital, etc.

There have been several articles about them. A Google search would probably yield a few results.

Finally the photos are not as crisp and clear as a real one.
    Collecting Pre-War, Pre-War HOF Types, Pre-War Postcards
  • Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    "Most of the fakes I have seen have been in off-brand type graded slabs; FGS, GEM, Capital, etc."

Definitely. Hooper was responsible for getting these fakes into the market 10 years ago.