Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

can someone translate japanese for me?

Just picked up this awesome token from a board member! very cool! I'm curious what the medal says specifically...

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Comments

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    That is astounding! hang on for the translation...
  • Options
    OK, I got it.

The side with the human figure reads, from top to bottom: The Great Japanese Empire, First Population Census

The other side reads: October 1, 1920.
  • Options
    The map is really interesting. It not only shows the home islands of Japan but it shows Japanese colonies and annexed areas, including the Ryukyu Islands, Taiwan, Korea, Sakhalin, and the Kuriles.
  • Options
    Is that Dairen (Dalian) as well on the map?
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Glad you like it, Frank image That is a cool one!

Half the reason I picked it up was the map.. I don't know why but I still find it odd/interesting whenever I see maps of Korea under Japanese occupation. I don't know if Dalian is meant to be shaded, though of course it was Japanese at the time, but it seems they did make a point of including the islands east of Port Arthur.

This is supposedly what the guys wore as ID while conducting the headcount. There is also a different medal for participating work in the census, which people would wear with other campaign type medals. This page has pics of some others.

The guy on obv is supposed to represent one of Japan's foundation myths according to the flip.. though I don't know Japanese culture well enough to say.

Thanks for the translation, sumnom image
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    love the look and the history!!!

thanks again for the translation, sumnom, and the great transactions spoon imageimage
  • Options
    wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    I translate it as saying "Send Aunt Jamie to Kentucky" image
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    ROFL!!!! I miss wildjag image
  • Options