Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Newp added.I came up with a new theme for a collection. A gold coin for each century. How hard do yo

A gold coin from each century going back to at least 2-300 BC. How hard do you think it will be? Are there any centuries that will be impossible? I haven't checked any books yet. Here are my first ones. 1800-2000 I already have.
I am thinking I will also have the rule that I can't have two coins from the same country just to make it more interesting. I will add I as I get newps.
Here is the list so far.
500's Roman
1000's Turkey Partial shifted doubled strike.
1400's German
1500's France Triple struck flip over.
1600's Netherlands Double struck

Justin II (565-578AD) Gold Solidus Eastern Roman empire. So I will call it roman for now.
imageimage
1078, Michael VII Ducas. Gold Histamenon Constantinople mint. So I call it Turkish.
imageimage
1426, Mainz, Conrad de Scharfenberg. Gold Gulden German
imageimage

NEWP1519, Royal France, Francis I. Gold Ecu d'or au soleil triple struck flip over. NEWP
imageimage
1674, Netherlands, Utrecht. Gold Knight Ducat. Double struck
imageimage

Thanks,
Richard

Comments

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool idea IMO. Check out some of the Indian states.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • gummibeargummibear Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Cool idea IMO. Check out some of the Indian states. >>

Oh, definitely. I have seen a few over the years that looked very interesting but didn't fit into a collection I was doing at the time. Now I have a good excuse.image

I am thinking I will limit this to 20 consecutive centuries and call it the 20 century gold set.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would help to set a unifying theme for the 20 coins. It could be "Gold Coins through the Ages", "Portraits of Important Rulers", "Women on Coins", "Ancient to Modern Italy", or whatever else turns you on. Otherwise, I think you're going to find that the completed collection doesn't look very much like a collection.

Edited to say I see you're limiting it to gold. Good idea!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it would help to set a unifying theme for the 20 coins. It could be "Gold Coins through the Ages", "Portraits of Important Rulers", "Women on Coins", "Ancient to Modern Italy", or whatever else turns you on. Otherwise, I think you're going to find that the completed collection doesn't look very much like a collection.

Edited to say I see you're limiting it to gold. Good idea!

image >>

How about gold coins with christian themes.......should not be to hard.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A gold coin from each century going back to at least 2-300 BC. How hard do you think it will be? Are there any centuries that will be impossible? I haven't checked any books yet...
    I am thinking I will also have the rule that I can't have two coins from the same country just to make it more interesting. >>

The combination of one-per-century and not-ever-duplicating-a-country could be tricky. For several centuries (100 BC to 600 AD), the Romans/Byzantines were almost the only gold-issuing "country", though you could probably consider the various partitionings and civil wars separate "countries" if needs be.

Similarly, for several centuries in the Dark Ages (800-1200 AD), the Byzantine Empire and Islamic Caliphate were pretty much the only gold-issuing countries. European gold can't really be considered plentiful or easy to find until you hit the florins of Florence and the ducats of Venice, from the 1200s.

There are exceptions to these general rules, of course, but actually finding gold coins from these exceptions is likely to be both difficult and expensive.

Another thing to consider is the need to specifically narrow down a coin's date to a particular century. The florins of Florence, for example, have no indication of date on the coins whatsoever; they were struck from 1252 to 1422 with identical design, which then changed slightly and continued to be struck until 1531.

A handy book for you to at least read, if not own, would be "Gold Coins of the World" by Friedberg. An old, second-hand edition would be adequate for your purposes, letting you know what your options were.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For several centuries (100 BC to 600 AD), the Romans/Byzantines were almost the only gold-issuing "country", though you could probably consider the various partitionings and civil wars separate "countries" if needs be.

India can also be helpful.

Regardless, it might be a good idea to build the set on paper before actually buying the coins. No telling where the exercise might lead you.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

<< <i>For several centuries (100 BC to 600 AD), the Romans/Byzantines were almost the only gold-issuing "country", though you could probably consider the various partitionings and civil wars separate "countries" if needs be.

India can also be helpful.

Regardless, it might be a good idea to build the set on paper before actually buying the coins. No telling where the exercise might lead you. >>

I am thinking that buying what comes available might make for a more interesting and surprising set. I think if I find a really neat one from a country from a century that I don't have but I already have the country I would have to either not buy or sell the previous one.

Two of the ones I bought have striking errors so that might be one way I try to make the collection lean.

I like the randomness that buying what is around at the time provides. But as the set moves along I would not be surprised if I start to see a stronger overall theme that has accidentally happened and I would then adjust in that direction. This could be an interesting trip. I am going into areas of coins I have never touched.
    Thanks,
    Richard
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    You think like a true collector!

Remember, this is suppose to be fun and interesting for you. If it becomes tedious, boring and causes anxiety, you need to adjust the collection theme.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    It will be no harder than any other collection, but it may be a bit more expensive!image Good luck! -Dan
  • spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like fun image

I'm all for the haphazard, whatever comes along approach. That's what I usually do image

But while things might be easy for 1400+, if you really want to stick to the one per "country" guideline you might want to make up checklists for the tougher years below that. Maybe not "Buy an Abbasid gold dinar for 800" kind of rigidity. But just something where you outline your options and general price ranges for each, so you can get an idea of how to prioritize things when there's more than one option available. Otherwise you might find yourself just buying a bunch of Byzantine and Arab gold image
  • AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    I wonder what did go wrong with the back of your gold ducat,
    text of the motto in the cartouche is unreadable.
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.

<< <i>I wonder what did go wrong with the back of your gold ducat,
    text of the motto in the cartouche is unreadable. >>

It is double struck. You can also see a little doubling on the obv.

Richard
    Newp added.
    1519, Royal France, Francis I. Gold Ecu d'or au soleil Pretty wild looking triple struck flip over. I might narrow the collections to striking errors just to make it harder and more interesting and slow down the frequency I can find find something.
    Is anybody even collecting these older errors? Doesn't seem that uncommon. But, some do make it a bit more interesting.
    Thanks,
    Richard
    imageimage