Home Precious Metals
Options

SAE uncirculated vs proof

Let's say there is a huge run up in the price of silver, $60+ an ounce or more. At that price will proof SAEs retain any significant premium over uncirculateds? In other words, will there come a time where they both pretty much trade at spot?
imageimage Small Size National Bank Note Type Set $5-$100

Comments

• Options
    CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405
    The proof will be always sold at a little higher price than the bullion but, in case of that kind of run up, their premium will be thinner than the actual one.
    So yes, they could probably trade pretty much at spot. JMO
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know what the level would be, or if it would be a different number at a different time, but I could see a level and time where the bullion and numismatic versions trade on par.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Currently trading at or near melt:

Numerous silver and gold modern commemoratives.
    1961-64 proof sets.
    Several 21st century silver proof sets.
    Circulated 1893 Columbian halves.
    Low-grade common date Barbers.

I expect the list to grow as the price of silver continues upward.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,399 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When the premium between proofs and uncs is low due to higher prices for silver, that is the time to spend that little extra in order to get the proofs.

When the price of silver subsides, the proofs will recoup some of that premium and it will act as a buffer on the price decline.

I like buying rolls of proof 90% when I'm in buying mode, in times like these. Hey, you're going to pay the price for silver anyway - get something with a little extra interest.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Currently trading at or near melt:

Numerous silver and gold modern commemoratives.
    1961-64 proof sets.
    Several 21st century silver proof sets.
    Circulated 1893 Columbian halves.
    Low-grade common date Barbers.

I expect the list to grow as the price of silver continues upward. >>

The list will not only grow but also trade at discounts.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 751 ✭✭✭
    "Significant Premium"... on a percentage basis I also believe it will 'shrink'...

On a dollar basis... I think they will retain a 'decent premium'.

My guess is based upon the usmint still selling them at a 'high premium' (when the produce them) and I also believe more collectors will enter the market as the price increased to the $60 per ounce level you mentioned.

I should add that the proofs would have to be problem free, ogp, etc.

I would also guess that my view may rest in the minority. As has already been mentioned, there is a 'growing list' of examples which begs to differ.

The question may be stated in a different way... "Will there be more dedicated collectors of the ASE Proofs if/when the spot price of silver reaches $60 per ounce?"

Its a difficult endeavor to guess what collectors may pay in the future... For example, I see lots of bullion bars, that fetch a super premium.