Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Looking for info on a 1955 US Treasury Award token

Has anyone heard of a US Treasury Award? It's about the size of a half dollar, heavy, silver in color, engraved with "US Savings Bonds Program - For Patriotic Services " It has an image of a colonial patriot on one side. The name of the recipient and date engraved on it as well.

Any info on such a piece? History? Reason for presentation? Composition? Value?

Thanks!
Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure of the date? I thought those were World War Two awards for selling bonds to help finance the war.
    I think they are sterling.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen the piece but the person who called confirmed that it was 1955 a couple of times.
  • Options
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Are you sure it's not the one for War Bonds durring WWII? I have some at home and will post pics later.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    One of these maybe?

• Options
    Yeah, dat one!!!!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Sterling or Pewter?

• Options
    Sterling, as determined by specific gravity.
    It went in the last silver melt!
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a neat token. I believe they had some for WWI too. Should we have one to help finance the current efforts?
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one of those around somewhere, mine was purchased on eBay and is not engraved, I think I paid less than $10 for it.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    Thank you for the help. I got called away yesterday soon after posting, so sorry for the delay in responding, but appreciate the info! image

The one I was called about doesn't have "War Finance" on it, instead has "US Savings Bonds Program". Was anything issued during the Eisenhower administration for Savings Bonds?
  • Options
    OK, that is something else, and I have no idea what it is.
    We need pictures, size and weight.
    TD
  • Options

<< <i>OK, that is something else, and I have no idea what it is.
    We need pictures, size and weight.
    TD >>

I will see what I can do.
  • Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    Resurrecting this thread - does anyone know if these were made by the us mint?
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file