Home Sports Talk
Options

Uggla

mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
I just read on espn.com that the Braves acquired Dan Uggla from the Marlins today at the Winter Meetings. Evidently, the Marlins will get Omar Infante and reliever Mike Dunn.

As a Braves, I like this move because they so desperately needed that middle of the order power hitter. However, I will be sad to see Infante go. He was very blue collar, great attitude, hard worker, who all the coaches and fans appreciated. Infante, if you'll remember hit .320+ this past season and made his first all-star game. Only problem is that he has no power.

The Braves didn't really need another infielder, they needed a corner outfielder. If I'm reading the tea leaves correctly, this may imply that Frank Wren is no longer in the market for an OF and that Prado may be moving from 2B to left field. Interesting.

-Michael
Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.

Comments

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the deal too. He put up huge numbers against us...I hope he can now help us with some of the 100+ runs scored, 100+ RBI seasons! image
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    That is a good trade for the Braves.
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    As a Phils fan I don't like the trade.image

I think the Braves made out like bandits. I don't know what Florida is thinking other than just realizing they can't resign him. Tough to be a Marlins fan when it
    seems like it is tough to compete in the N.L. East.

aconte
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    They almost always trade their talent when it comes time to have to pay. I know they resigned Hanely, but most of the times they have to dump a player. It might be time to relocate or close up the franshise. I MLB will not entertain the thought, but it is too bad they have to get rid off good players coming into their primes.
  • Options
    I'm a fan of the deal.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    I think Florida offered him 4 years $48 million extension and he turned it down. They wanted to keep him, but either Uggla disliked the franchise or thinks he's worth more.

Either way, Chipper will most likely be retiring before this season starts or just after this season ends, so the Braves will have a good deal of freed up salary to offer Uggla a nice long-term deal when his contract is up next year.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    Looking forward to another big bat in lineup, and the defense cant be any worse than what we wound up with last year.
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think Florida offered him 4 years $48 million extension and he turned it down. They wanted to keep him, but either Uggla disliked the franchise or thinks he's worth more.

Either way, Chipper will most likely be retiring before this season starts or just after this season ends, so the Braves will have a good deal of freed up salary to offer Uggla a nice long-term deal when his contract is up next year. >>

Could be the money...but the guy seems like he really wants to win too. Seems to play the game the right way. Winning anytime soon does not really seem to be a reality in South Florida at this point. I think being back with Fredi G and getting to play with a team that made it to the post-season was a big aspect of his decision.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Either way, Chipper will most likely be retiring before this season starts or just after this season ends >>

Don't remind me image
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    Uggla reportedly wouldn't budge off of his 5 year / $70 million asking price and apparently the Marlins wouldn't go more than 4 years. I wouldn't be looking for him to sign an extension in the ATL either, but it's not much of a return for the Marlins. Even if Infante replicates his 2010 numbers (doubtful), he's a free agent after 2011 too.