Home Precious Metals
Options

Life to the generic gold coin market???

roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
Couldn't help but notice that with gold down $15+ from yesterday, that generic gold prices are up today, and higher than they were at $1420 gold. So things appear to be starting to finally squeeze in this market. I was fully expecting to see generics drop this morning but that was not the case. This is different. This was just about the time last year when they really got revved up. It also seems like the gold miners have resisted this gold price drop from yesterday as well...at least so far today. I like to see generic gold and miners move in unison since they both represent leveraged bets in their particular markets.

The things that caught my eye:

MS63 $2-1/2 Libs up to $975-1000...yet 64's are only $1050-1100. Wonder which one is the better buy? 64's went to $1475 during the March 2008 peak at $1000+ gold.

MS63 $10 Libs in 63 being pushed and now up to $1300+. Note that the 63 Indian is lagging at $1225 but shouldn't be for much longer. The Lib is a scarcer coin but I think many buyers prefer the iconic appearance of the Indian. The 65 Libs are now around $4,000 and that's a jump of several hundred dollars in less than a week. Problem is that they've really never been available in quantity at the lower bid levels. They reached $5400 last year with gold at $1225 and their high of $7500 came in spring 2006. The 65 $10 Indians are lagging the Libs by about $500, a gap that at some point should close up.

MS64 $2-1/2 Indians are being pushed and now at $1350. I think that's close to where they went to during last December's peak. Usually the Lib ends up going for more than the Indian but with promotions anything can happen. The 64 Lib is a significantly scarcer coin in all grades below 65. But people doing smaller 20th century type sets often bypass the Libs in favor of the later Indian coins. This $250 gap betw these 64's will shrink at some point.

MS63 $5 Libs finally close to $1000. While 64's are at $1250

MS65 Saints at $2275+. Saints and $20 Libs moving up slow and steady.

If I had to pick best buys in generics I'd lean towards $10 Indians in 63,64,65, $10 Libs in 64, MS64 $5 Libs, and MS64 $2-1/2 Libs. While $5 Indians in 63/64 are barely off their bottoms and look dirt cheap, I never really like the way these are graded. If you can buy a really nice PQ coin for about the same money as generic then that's a good buy. Most MS65 gold from 1's to 10's still hasn't moved all that much and honestly graded specimens are a decent deal for those that can afford their higher price. MS65 $20 Libs are at about $4000 but the qty of lower end coins in holders is always a problem. A nice and solid 65 will cost $4500 unless you can cherry pick one for generic money. The 65's ran from $3100 to $5200 in the 2009 market and will probably chart a similar course by June.

roadrunner
Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi RR

Where are you getting your quotes from? This is a market I'm not in the loop on. TIA.................MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Prices are a compilation from a couple of sources. image

roadrunner
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    They went up because I sold a whole bunch of them a couple days before
  • Options
    Let's see if they can hold ground while gold is clearly dropping to another level lower. They may have to sit tight for a while longer.

roadrunner
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Soooo, when gold drops to 35 dollars an ounce, generic gold will hit all time highs?image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Premiums are very low. In late 2009, with gold trading in the $1050/$1150 range, generic PCGS MS64 Saints were around $2000, but today -- with gold $250 higher -- they're under $1800. 65s are even more dramatic, a year ago around $2700, today around $2200.

Recognizing that premiums were at a "high" about a year ago, that's still a huge collapse considering the run-up in gold during the time. Perhaps a good buying opportunity for someone who wants to get into gold.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    Maybe. But someone has to flick the switch to "on" in the generic gold wholesale market. Until then, same old, same old. The premiums have been generally downtrending since spring of 2006...with a few bounces here and there.

roadrunner
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Big bounce late in 2009.

I just picked up a nice 63 Saint... prices seem cheap, given where gold has gone.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)