Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Fake rare copper halfpenny on ebay.co.uk

1860 Copper Halfpenny

Some folks already bidding on it - the winner is going to be disappointed, I think.

It looks almost identical to an 1848 halfpenny up for sale by the same seller.

imageimage

imageimage
Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    That would actually be pretty deceptive for someone that did not collect halfpennies, even though all the small details are wrong I can see a new collector being fooled with it.

I have a rule, never buy rare coins raw on ebay, especially from an unknown seller.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I have a rule, never buy rare coins raw on ebay, especially from an unknown seller.

That's a rule that's a good one to live by. I have violated that rule on a few occasions though and have been pleasantly surprised. Three of my key date Vicky halfpennies all came from unknown sellers and all slabbed MS.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭
    Nice little Chinese copies (not really!). Note they used the same reverse die on both (see rim/dentil feature is identical over "FID").

• Options
    I saw a bunch of these for sale months back when they were noted as copies. Another date they copied was 1851 (I can't remember if 1845 was included but probably was). I reported both listings.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Almost want one as a joke, just like the halfcrowns (ie the non-existent 1851 date)...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I am seeing so many cast copies out there, copies of anything and everything you can think of. It must be an amazing operation they are running in China or wherever.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Spit in the ocean - one small victory. The auction has been ended. The "1848" Halfpenny auction (which I did not link here) is still going, though.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Spit in the ocean - one small victory. The auction has been ended. The "1848" Halfpenny auction (which I did not link here) is still going, though. >>

Even a little victory is a victory.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭

<< <i>I am seeing so many cast copies out there, copies of anything and everything you can think of. It must be an amazing operation they are running in China or wherever. >>

Talking of China, I've just heard that a quantity of 1903 & 1904 halfcrowns have arrived in the UK. No details on identification yet but apparently they weigh ok. Given the prices these go for, there is no point using anything other than silver of the correct standard.
  • Options
    Here is another fake 1860 copper halfpenny that has just been put up as a BIN. I sent the seller a note - I don't think s/he knows that the 1860 copper halfpenny is highly prized or that it is a fake. I'll let you know what the reply is.

Here's my note:
    Hi, I don't want to be a flamethrower and upset you, but this coin is a fake copy of the extremely rare 1860 copper halfpenny. There are a lot of these springing up of late, probably made in China (in fact, other dates are also being put on these same dies). If you compare yours to a real one shown that was sold on colincooke.com, you will see many differences beyond simple wear and tear. Please know that if that was a real one, I'd be hitting the BIN button so fast it would make SSTs seem slow. Regards,
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very pleasant response and entirely appropriate.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    And here is a link to the fake 1848 that was never pulled. It is now up to £39 with > 8 hours to go. As I said, it is spit in the ocean to try to stop this tidal wave of garbage coming in.
  • Options
    Nice reply from the seller: Thanks for the heads up. I've canceled the auction.

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭
    A bowl of oatmeal has better defined 'edges' than those mushy bits. image

Oh yeah , give these guys a few more years and they'll be spot-on with an 1854 shilling, and tanner.......they'll go ahead and slab 'em for you as well; saves you the hassle, you know! image
  • Options
    Another 1860 fake copper halfpenny

"This Victorian halfpenny is one of the coins from a collection which I recently purchased from the estate of a coin collector and head of a Numismatic Society. It is not suprising therefore that this collection is in perfect condition. This is an uncirculated coin which has passed from collector to collector spanning its lifetime. It probably came straight from the mint int (sic) a Numismatic Society Collection."

B as in B, S as in S, to quote a famous Twin Cities radio personality.

Reported.

Edited to add: someone must have convinced the seller to end the item.