Home U.S. Coin Forum

1872 Mint set with a great story. Grades post 77

2»

Comments

• Wow, they are beautiful with a great story to match. Why cant stuff like this ever happen at my church image

Tom
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Todd, those are gorgeous....you are the luckiest coin photographer ever....not to mention your booth babe!! image
  • Wow what a find. image
    You have to watch out for yourself, because nobody else is going to. Especially during dodge ball.
  • I would sell a lot of thing to buy those!
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Outstanding!

I would say AT. image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Nice!
    Becky
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My grade guesses, dollar to h10c: MS63, MS64, MS65, MS66, MS66....assuming that the coins still have some pop...

Edited to add...MS65BN on the two center
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A sister and cousin for a ttt... image

imageimage

imageimage
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Awesome story and coins! I hope they always stay together
  • ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    an 1872 Mint State Trime would have been really cool... thats a tough date..... what a story these coins would tell us if they could talk
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting story, Coinworld should pick up on it. Great looking original coins and the pictures attest to it image

• << <i>Can you post the grades of each coin? >>

I for one would hope that this set never ends up in third-party holders. I would think that would take away a lot of the allure. Coins like this with a story like this do not need third-party grades, plus signs, stars, stickers, etc., to be appreciated by collectors. At the minimum, I would hope that this set remains intact, together with the documentation on the find and any supporting affidavits, after having thoroughly investigated and researched same.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw the coins today at the Bay State Show in Boston. Wow is all I can say, just wow. Amazing, original coins. I liked the two cent piece the best.
  • 09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    Saw them yesterday too. I think some were NGC 66 but I don't remember all the grades.

• << <i>I liked the two cent piece the best. >>

Yeah, me too. But next time find a Small Motto looking like that. I hate to be particular... image
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Can you post the grades of each coin? >>

I for one would hope that this set never ends up in third-party holders. I would think that would take away a lot of the allure. Coins like this with a story like this do not need third-party grades, plus signs, stars, stickers, etc., to be appreciated by collectors. At the minimum, I would hope that this set remains intact, together with the documentation on the find and any supporting affidavits, after having thoroughly investigated and researched same. >>

So much for the allure. The first post appears to show that these coins are in the new NGC prong holders.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Can you post the grades of each coin? >>

I for one would hope that this set never ends up in third-party holders. I would think that would take away a lot of the allure. Coins like this with a story like this do not need third-party grades, plus signs, stars, stickers, etc., to be appreciated by collectors. At the minimum, I would hope that this set remains intact, together with the documentation on the find and any supporting affidavits, after having thoroughly investigated and researched same. >>

So much for the allure. The first post appears to show that these coins are in the new NGC prong holders. >>

they are. What was really neat looking at these coins today is that I really didn't look at the grades to see if I agreed or disagreed (except one for which Ed asked my opinion)...I just looked to appreciate some FRESH, cool coins.
  • capecape Posts: 1,621
    It doesn't matter what the grades are... the coins are truly awesome ! I am happy that many of you got a chance to see these beauties ! All I will tell you now is the average grade for the 6 coins in this set is just about ms65.image
    ed rodrigues
  • NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    Has the location of where they were found in New England, been discovered yet? Being from Mass, and having a place in NH, I have been really waiting/wanting to find out where these came from. I may have to start going church to church, with a Sawzall, cutting posts off churches all over New England!!! Though, with all the churches/church property being sold (at least in the Boston area Archdiocese) to pay for past 'mistakes' by priests (I'm being very kind and non-political with the word 'mistakes), there may not be many left soon. The sit-ins (after a few years, can they be called squatters?). Some churches (with their hardcore parishoners) have literally had people have 'sit-ins' (rotating people daily, but always having at least a half-dozen or more people in them at a time) for a couple years now (I know of one in Sudbury, Mass thats been going on for over 2 years now)...this can only go on for so long. Once these churches in the area, that are slated for closure/sale, which are now held 'hostage', are finally vacated, all thats going to happen is a bull-dozer and a front-end loader will be brought in, knock it down, and.......hell, I better get that Sawzall and start during winter break.
    I'll come up with something.

• << <i>So much for the allure. The first post appears to show that these coins are in the new NGC prong holders. >>

Oops, my bad. At least they're still together in a set.

For the time being, anyway... image
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely Incredible find!
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
    Happy belated Thanksgiving! If Todd is around I'll let him post the grades .... as many of you have inquiredimage
    ed rodrigues
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If putting the coins into a slab ruins the allure, that must mean the king of siam set must be a dead dull group.

More impressive would be to keep the set together so that the story stays with it, but also saying the grades on it dont mean anything is mostly bogus.

This is probably the only set ever to have been buried like such in a church so that means they are all one of a kind. Separate any one coin from the group and the coin is just a regular 1872 high grade specimen.
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NGC grades are:

$1 62
    50c 64+
    25c 65
    10c 66+
    h10c 65+
    2c 65+bn
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Contractors who are numismatists and church leaders who are numismatists both must have realized they could not get that pillar plumb without a shim.

HE>I

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $1 62
    50c 64+
    25c 65
    10c 66+
    h10c 65+
    2c 65+bn

I find it very interesting that 2/3 of the coins graded +.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
    I'm just saying it seems to defy the odds that 2/3 of the coins as submitted were plussed (ie high end). That means either NGC was stingy in not giving out the higher grade on some of these due to the unusual toning patterns, or that they were loose in giving out plusses because of the total "original" package that this group represented. But it could be either (or neither) case. How often would any random group of coins come back 66% plussed when the plus sign only represents 1/3 of a mint state grading point?

roadrunner
    There haven't been any comments in this thread about sticky tape being found on the surfaces of these coins. Whether it was or not, there are probably some perfectly safe solvents to remove it without disturbing the luster or toning....which looks to have worked out just fine. I'd be interested in more details on how these coins were wrapped. It's possible that tape was only used to keep smaller pieces of cardboard in place.

roadrunner
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm just saying it seems to defy the odds that 2/3 of the coins as submitted were plussed (ie high end). That means either NGC was stingy in not giving out the higher grade on some of these due to the unusual toning patterns, or that they were loose in giving out plusses because of the total "original" package that this group represented. But it could be either (or neither) case. How often would any random group of coins come back 66% plussed when the plus sign only represents 1/3 of a mint state grading point?

roadrunner >>

How can one not agree with what yous tated.

But another thing bothers me. How can coins go thru the NCS mill, get conserved and then transported over to the NGC and graded and given the + to boot. NCS knows the coin(s) were messed with in some way, but it becomes hush hush unless someone can sport the conserved ie changed coin. It just seems to me that if a coin is conserved then it just shouldn't deserve the plus because the coin is not original...any way jmho on the matter. Don't get me wrong this particular set of coins is uber in cool, but we know the coins all had a flaw, tape residue on the surfaces of the coin, the coins had to be messed with in some way to remove the tape residue, and therefore the originality is compromised but not noted and basically ignored.image >>

I must have missed the statement that these coins were sent through NCS. Could you please point it out for me?
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Just back from the Westford show and I saw this thread.... Who ever said these coins were NCS.. CONSERVED ? These coins have in no way shape or form been conserved !! The appearance of tape on the holders almost looks like cellophane.... and certainly isn't sticky at all! Its amazing at the response from everyone that see's these coins. I want to keep the set together .... but some of the offers for the individual coins are certainly tempting to take.image
    ed rodrigues
  • AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love it! Great story and amazing coins... image

ABimage
    I'm on my way back from the Houston money show..... The dollar upgraded to a PCGS MS 63image
    ed rodrigues
  • boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you submit the entire set to PCGS for crossover and if so did everything else cross at the same grade?
    Everything crossed at the same grade with the exception of the 2 center and the quarter. The dime is now finest known at 66+ seeing as the only 67 has crossed to a 68 NGC. image
    ed rodrigues
    Ed, will you have the set on display at FUN? If so, people should really go see it!
    YES, I will have the set at the Fun Show ..... I'm at table 305 with something for everyone..... Stop on by and check everything out..... and Happy New Year to everyone !!!
    ed rodrigues

<< <i>YES, I will have the set at the Fun Show ..... I'm at table 305 with something for everyone..... Stop on by and check everything out..... and Happy New Year to everyone !!! >>

cool...I will expect to see some nice CAPPED BUST half dimes image
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Ed,

I'm at table 643 - and I'll make it a point to stop by
    your table. Great looking set of coins !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    TTY for ryk
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And just like that there is no more story to tell...
    so sad...
    may the fonz be with you...always...
    Well.... as sad as it may be... there are Individual Collectors that are quite happy that they bought their piece of history. Also the 2 center became the finest known double die obverse at 65+
    ed rodrigues

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file