Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

30 of 500 bumped in latest submission

It was mentioned in a recent thread that I must get a better bump rate than others because I am in the HOF and have a ton of PSA 8s.

Not true!

My latest submission came back today and 30 of 500 bwere bumped. 23 went to 8.5 and 7 went to a 9.

Years involved were Football--1957 Topps, 1958 Topps, 1960 Fleer, 1962 Fleet and 1963 Fleer and Baseball 1963 Fleer.

My sense and I am pretty sure this is true is that it might climb to 7-8% for the mid 60s stuff but drops pretty low for all the prewar 8s I have submitted and late 40s-early 50s sets--possible 3-4%.

Jim

Comments

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    Do the increases in value for the cards that were bumped justify the price paid for the reviews? 500 is a lotta cards to have reviewed.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    In my case, it does.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Jim- did you pick and chose or just grab a stack? Trying to see if there is a science to it or if it's pretty random.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the bumps, Jim-

Be interested to hear more as to whether or not you pre-reviewed the cards and selected "the best of the best" before sending in to PSA.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Anthony and Mike,

No pre-review. Simply take out the 9s and 10s from the set and send in all the 8s.

Try to give them 500-1000 cards each time I see them. When I am in Santa Ana on bus I give them 500--if I can see them at a shaow I give them a,000 or even more. Gotta get through all 25,000 8s. Probably have done 5,000 reviews so far or in that neighborhood.

Jim
  • Options
    Marc I'm sorry--I was thinking Mike Schmidt and I wrote Marc--also that was 500-1,000 per submission.

Jim
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Jim,

Nice to see that you were able to not only upgrade your sets but at the same time increase their value by more than the cost of the review submissions! Keep up the good work.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    I look through about 500 and pick the 20 best and 4 bump; so you are doing well with just picking random. Although I think they are just bumped randomly. When I sent my first 14 in...the 14th card was basically just a throw in because it was clearly not as nice as the first 13. I had 3 cards bump. Guess which one of the 3 bumped----#14. I usually share the results with a friend at work who mildly collects cards and after seeing the results of the review sub he was doubting the whole grading thing entirely. At first PSA said centering...bogus////it's corners all the way.
  • Options
    Mickey,

Or maybe its both....I do look at my 8s that bumped and they all have very sharp corners and are well centered.

Jim
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Jim, don't get me wrong....it needs to be nicely centered; but most 8's generally already are so the big factor is corners and then print quality.
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
  • Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone tried to bump a group of 9's, hoping for Gem Mints?

FM >>

If you look up the 1964 Topps Baseball thread , I believe the number 1 set and Brian's set have sent in numerous 9's hoping to get 10's ...................can't remember what their results were , but I don't think they had much success !
    As for myself , I've had fairly good results on reviews for my 1964 set ' Robbie's 1964 Topps Set ' ................ all cards sent in for the review were in their original slabs and I carefully screened the best possible candidates to bump 8's up to a 9 ................... out of 34 reviews 15 failed ..... 13 bumped from 8 to 8.5 and 6 bumped from 8 to 9 's ....................maybe someday I may try to bump my 9's for those elusive 10's !
    Robbie
    Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    re. our '55 AA's many of our 34 - 10's were originally graded 9. Sometimes it would take 2, 3, even 4 review subs to bump. still have several 9's that possibly could be 10's - but it can get expensive particularly at $35 a pop for over $500 9's.
  • Options
    Harmon 9, Harmon 9, Harmon 9..............
    Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...