Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My latest E-bay find:1874-P Trade $UPDATE:PCGS grades are in!!!!

TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have been putting together an Everymans set of Trade $'s for the past 2 years and have found that the 74-P is very elusive.I do have a VF-35(Pcgs) that I bought raw,but last week saw this for a fair BIN price so I bought it.Not sure why 74-P is so hard to find with a mintage of almost 1 million.In hand the coin looks very nice and unmessed with.What are your opinions.Thanks in advance!

Trade $'s

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First I've seen, real that is, with so many wheat stalks missing. I wonder if
    1: It's a trait for 1874p.
    2: It's a weak strike that just shows up in that area but not the reverse.
    3: It's a Chinese fake that is over the wall good.
    4: It's a lousy pic and the stalks are actually there.

bobimageimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Sorry,I was trying to add to AuandAg's post.
    Trade $'s
  • Options

<< <i>First I've seen, real that is, with so many wheat stalks missing. I wonder if
    1: It's a trait for 1874p.
    2: It's a weak strike that just shows up in that area but not the reverse.
    3: It's a Chinese fake that is over the wall good.
    4: It's a lousy pic and the stalks are actually there.

I was concerned about that as well,but they are there.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    Something doesn't look right about that coin in my opinion. Like AUandAG said the wheat stalks look way too weak to be real. The eagle's eye doesn't look right either.

What worries me the most is highlighted.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it, but what do I know about T dollars!
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Looks real to me! Nice Circ Dollar!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    I saw that and bid on it when he had it listed as a true auction but we didn't make reserve. He also has a very rare 76cc type 1/1 (in F15ish if I recall) for a strong BIN.

I put your coin coin as EF45 details cleaned but with a good, almost market acceptable look to it. Might Net grade at40, 45 if it has luster which I would be surprised. I say cleaned because of the look of hairlines and I always say original tone should be lightest by the devices if it's the coins first skin
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    You don't see circulated 1874-p's very often. Here's mine. Note quite a different strike than TD's coin, and the toning pattern noted by Crypto:

imageimage

[edited to add: It's PCGS XF 45 CAC]
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    I wonder what happened to the dies that year.
  • Options
    Here are the grades from Pcgs.The coin in the original post is the 1st coin in the submission.The 2nd coin is a Proof 1874 Trade $.The 1878-s is a chopmarked coin,which is fairly scarce with only about 16 graded by Pcgs(cracked from Anacs AU-55 CM)

1 1 18633570 7034 1874 T$1 US XF45
    2 1 18633571 7054 1874 T$1 US Genuine (91 - Questionable Color)
    3 1 18633572 87048 1878-S T$1 Trade US AU55
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Nice score!------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    I have to give this piece a green light . IMHO

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Something doesn't look right about that coin in my opinion. Like AUandAG said the wheat stalks look way too weak to be real. The eagle's eye doesn't look right either.

image >>

The red circle signifies what?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Something doesn't look right about that coin in my opinion. Like AUandAG said the wheat stalks look way too weak to be real. The eagle's eye doesn't look right either.

image >>

The red circle signifies what? >>

Missing wheat stalks, but that is apparently (?) a trait for 1874P T$
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    The red circle signifies what the poster was saying about a weak strike. Note the comparison with the one Mike posted and it should be obvious. I am a little surprised it graded with the scrape on the face of Liberty. I do like the coin and the scrape probably is not that bad in hand. image Congratulations on grading.

• Options
    As stated in the earlier post the wheat stalks are all there,apparently the sellers pics did not pick up on the full details of the coin.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

image >>

I would be very worried about a coin with a red circle on it as well. I'd say AT?

Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file